Edward green tongues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MPS, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MPS

MPS Senior member

I bought a pair of EG's Ladbroke shoes today in dark oak on an 888 last. They're very nice indeed. There is one thing that is peculiar about them, however: the tongue appears to be (purposely) stitched to the inside of the quarter on the medial aspect of each shoe (only for a section of about 7 mm or so). I'm assuming, of course, that this was done on purpose on these shoes to prevent the tongue from deviating, but it does seem strange. Perhaps Bengal-Stripe could share his thoughts?

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

For what it's worth, I have this feature on oxfords from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Perry Ercolino, and Foster & Sons (the latter by either Green or C&J). I believe your surmise is correct.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

As shoefan has already pointed out, quite a few manufacturers attach the tongue. I have only seen it done on balmorals (oxford) never on bluchers (derbys). Some like EG stitch through lining and outer leather; others attach the tongue only to the lining.

There are other ways to hold the tongue in place. On boots I have seen a little strip of leather sewn onto the centre of the tongue, forming a loop for the laces to go through underneath.

Enjoy your new shoes.

4. MPS

MPS Senior member

Thanks for the information, chaps. The 888, by the way, is a great looking last and the Ladbroke shows its lines off well.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

If I had the bucks that's the EXACT pair of shoes I would get. [​IMG]