1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward green tongues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MPS, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MPS

MPS Senior member

I bought a pair of EG's Ladbroke shoes today in dark oak on an 888 last. They're very nice indeed. There is one thing that is peculiar about them, however: the tongue appears to be (purposely) stitched to the inside of the quarter on the medial aspect of each shoe (only for a section of about 7 mm or so). I'm assuming, of course, that this was done on purpose on these shoes to prevent the tongue from deviating, but it does seem strange. Perhaps Bengal-Stripe could share his thoughts?

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

For what it's worth, I have this feature on oxfords from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Perry Ercolino, and Foster & Sons (the latter by either Green or C&J). I believe your surmise is correct.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

As shoefan has already pointed out, quite a few manufacturers attach the tongue. I have only seen it done on balmorals (oxford) never on bluchers (derbys). Some like EG stitch through lining and outer leather; others attach the tongue only to the lining.

There are other ways to hold the tongue in place. On boots I have seen a little strip of leather sewn onto the centre of the tongue, forming a loop for the laces to go through underneath.

Enjoy your new shoes.

4. MPS

MPS Senior member

Thanks for the information, chaps. The 888, by the way, is a great looking last and the Ladbroke shows its lines off well.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

If I had the bucks that's the EXACT pair of shoes I would get. [​IMG]