• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green - the best RTW?

Avebury

Reaction score
To my mind, the top three would be Church's, C + J and EG. Tricker's are there or there about. Probably put at 4. However, if you're after a robust, sturdy, traditional no-nonsense country boot or brogue (e.g. Bourton or Keswick) that you can kick about in, then Tricker's are probably top. After all, would you really want to give a pair of £540 EG boot some rough treatment? Probably not. This raises the question of whether 'country boot' is simply a classification or not. Tricker's, uniquely, refer to their boot as 'market day' boots. This tells you where they are coming from.

So sticking with the top three (I don't know about Tricker's other lines), what truly differentiates them? Are they all about the same quality, or are there subtle differences? If the differences are subtle, this may suggest that it's really a matter of personal taste - quality is not the issue.

From my own perspective, I own a pair of C+J "Westfield" semi-brogues in Tan Burnished and pair of Church's "Canberra" Oxfords in Tabac (really chestnut). Having looked at Edward Green, I do not think 'gosh, they are so much better'. There are of course a greater range of colours (e.g. Edwardian Burnt Pine) and the finish, I think, is slighter better. However, that's all my eye can detect in the limited time I had to look at them. They seem equal to the C + J Handgrades.

The other factor is, of course, bottom line, shoe are made to be worn. they wil be scuffed up, bashed about, re-soled, etc. If they are not looked after, they will rapidly decline. In other words, you have to factor in function and the human element into any debate about quality.

It would be interesting to read your views on this subject. Personally, I think if you're able to afford a pair of MTW shoes retailling at £540, excluding shoe trees, you might think about going bespoke. After all, one pair is not enough is it - you'd need to rotate them everyday.

The other point is that there are some extremely good 'lower end' shoes out there. Shouldn't only think about the trinity. Barker make some superb shoes. I often wear a pair of "Hamilton" brogues. They are splendid. A heavy blocked heel, storm welt and waterproof lining. Rare indeed. They look new after a year. In my view, they are better than Church's "Grasmere".

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Gaziano & Girling also make RTW and I would put them up there with EG, and also ahead of C&J or Church's. Alfred Sargeant is also pretty good, from what I've seen. What about JM Weston?

My ranking would be:

top tier RTW: EG, G&G, (Lobb's, JM Weston?)

"second" tier: C&J

"third" tier Church's, AS, Trickers

There's an old thread knocking around about the hierarchy of British shoemakers, which may be of use to you...

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
English RTW or worldwide? There are other examples of excellent but pricey RTW shoes. Vass, G&G, Lattanzi, etc

Also, I would not consider Church top tier anymore. Last time I went in and had a poke around, I was a bit shocked by how bad things had gotten.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for English makers, you have your John Lobb Paris, then Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Grenson, Tricker's, Barker, Cheaney, Loake, Alfred Sargent, Schnieder Boots, New & Lingwood, Wildsmith, GJ Cleverley, Peal, etc.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avebury
To my mind, the top three would be Church's, C + J and EG. Tricker's are there or there about. Probably put at 4. However, if you're after a robust, sturdy, traditional no-nonsense country boot or brogue (e.g. Bourton or Keswick) that you can kick about in, then Tricker's are probably top. After all, would you really want to give a pair of £540 EG boot some rough treatment? Probably not. This raises the question of whether 'country boot' is simply a classification or not. Tricker's, uniquely, refer to their boot as 'market day' boots. This tells you where they are coming from.

So sticking with the top three (I don't know about Tricker's other lines), what truly differentiates them? Are they all about the same quality, or are there subtle differences? If the differences are subtle, this may suggest that it's really a matter of personal taste - quality is not the issue.

From my own perspective, I own a pair of C+J "Westfield" semi-brogues in Tan Burnished and pair of Church's "Canberra" Oxfords in Tabac (really chestnut). Having looked at Edward Green, I do not think 'gosh, they are so much better'. There are of course a greater range of colours (e.g. Edwardian Burnt Pine) and the finish, I think, is slighter better. However, that's all my eye can detect in the limited time I had to look at them. They seem equal to the C + J Handgrades.

The other factor is, of course, bottom line, shoe are made to be worn. they wil be scuffed up, bashed about, re-soled, etc. If they are not looked after, they will rapidly decline. In other words, you have to factor in function and the human element into any debate about quality.

It would be interesting to read your views on this subject. Personally, I think if you're able to afford a pair of MTW shoes retailling at £540, excluding shoe trees, you might think about going bespoke. After all, one pair is not enough is it - you'd need to rotate them everyday.

The other point is that there are some extremely good 'lower end' shoes out there. Shouldn't only think about the trinity. Barker make some superb shoes. I often wear a pair of "Hamilton" brogues. They are splendid. A heavy blocked heel, storm welt and waterproof lining. Rare indeed. They look new after a year. In my view, they are better than Church's "Grasmere".

I think that the choice of shoes is a complex process, in which I consider: the quality of the construction, the price, the shape (the last), and the use I am making of the shoes. I only choose Goodyear-welted or handmade shoes. All the brands you mention belong to this category.
IMHO, Barker, Loake, are not expensive, often not beautiful and not well made. Trickers and AS have very well made shoes, at reasonable prices, but they are not very nice. C&J are a little bit more expensive, but they are both well made and very nice. G&G, EG an Lobb are very well made, very expensive and very nice. Vass is less expensive than the last 3, but it is at least as good and nice.
So everything dependes on how much you are ready to pay, how you like the last and how it fits.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avebury;1638710 said:
To my mind, the top three would be Church's, C + J and EG. Tricker's are there or there about. QUOTE]

"Best" without specific categorisation is like nailing jello to a tree. What constitute best? How does one objectively measure best? What subjective measures have been demonstrated to indicate best?

All these need to be taken into consideration and hence it is difficult to quantify.

For me, based on ownership, I would put JLP and G&G up there as impressive RTW. JLP primarily for their fit, styling and leather quality. G&G primarily for their fit, construction and comfort. All very subjective. I have my first pair of EG's on route so I will reserve any comments until then.

My other favourite is Stefano Bemer because his line of RTW are all hand made and finished, if one values that.

Gaz

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
English RTW or worldwide? There are other examples of excellent but pricey RTW shoes. Vass, G&G, Lattanzi, etc

Also, I would not consider Church top tier anymore. Last time I went in and had a poke around, I was a bit shocked by how bad things had gotten.

+1

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
My other favourite is Stefano Bemer because his line of RTW are all hand made and finished, if one values that. Gaz

Can the Stefano Bemer RTW collection be seen/purchased in the United States anywhere? Thank you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wouldn't Lattanzi blow all the previously mentioned shoes out of the water?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Yes, based purely on amount of handwork and/or quality of construction. Except for Vass, that is.

woolymammoth

Reaction score

Admittedly not my favorite shoes but I must say they are my most comfortable RTW shoes, just like wearing slippers even after a long day...

Lattanzi-1.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Yes, based purely on amount of handwork and/or quality of construction. Except for Vass, that is.

I was under the impression that, though Vass offers more handwork than almost any other RTW brand and offers a ridiculously good bargain, Lattanzi is till tops in absolute quality.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woolymammoth
Admittedly not my favorite shoes but I must say they are my most comfortable RTW shoes, just like wearing slippers even after a long day...
Lattanzi-1.jpg

Very nice! Silvano's work is certainly in the top-tier, along with G&G, JLP and Edward Green.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was under the impression that, though Vass offers more handwork than almost any other RTW brand and offers a ridiculously good bargain, Lattanzi is till tops in absolute quality.
I believe they are both entirely hand welted and offer top of the line results in their fancy stitching options ala Norvegese or Goyser. Just comparing the shoes in my own wardrobe they seem to be on a par but the real experts like Bengal will have a more informed perspective, no doubt. From my own experience, St. Crispin's RTW is also in this league.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Very nice! Silvano's work is certainly in the top-tier, along with G&G, JLP and Edward Green.

The latter three aren't close, I don't think. Not nearly as much handwork.

Originally Posted by aportnoy
I believe they are both entirely hand welted and offer top of the line results in their fancy stitching options ala Norvegese or Goyser.

Just comparing the shoes in my own wardrobe they seem to be on a par but the real experts like Bengal will have a more informed perspective, no doubt.

From my own experience, St. Crispin's RTW is also in this league.

Ah gotcha. If I only I could figure out my Vass size . . .

Oh well. It's Alden for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics