Edward green stowe, does anyone have a pic?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phil, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil Senior member

Hey everyone. Quick request for all of the shoe afficionados: I have ordered 3 pair of Edward Green's through Richard's of Greenwich, CT, and am about to order a new pair. I am very familiar with most of their models, but I saw a photo that one of you posted a few months ago (which I cant find), of what I beleive was regarded as the "stowe". It is a monk strap, with the strap being small and on the side of the shoe. Could somebody post another pic of it if at all possible. Also, do you think it would be appropriate to get a double sole on the shoes, or is it too sleek of a model? Im going to get it made up in burnt pine antique, in the 606 last. Thanks for all the help.

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

Found a pic, on a search of the old EG topics.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good that you found a picture.
    I think the "Stowe" is quite an elegant style and will look better with a single sole. But of course, like everything in life, it's a question of taste. It's perfectly possible to produce the design with a double sole, if that is what you want.

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Phil....which models did you order, and in what finish/ color? I wanted to order a pair from Richard's of Greenwich, but was uncomfortable asking the price (still wondering...about $900 for Chelseas??)

What was the service like, and did you visit the store or order by phone to ship to you?

5. Phil

Phil Senior member

I tend to agree with you, bengal, I think I am going to go with the single sole.

As for what I have ordered from Richards thus far:

1. Chestnut antique Cardiffs, last 202, single leather sole. I was charged $695.00

2. Dark oak antique Banbury boots, 202 last, single leather sole. I was charged $695.00 also, a bit to my surprise

3. Walnut country calf Halifax boots, 505 last, double dainite sole. Should be arriving around April 22nd. I was told they were going to be $750.00, but one never knows I suppose until they show up.

I deal with a lady there named Arlyne. She is a very nice lady, knows her stuff, and the whole experience has been a pleasure. Each of the first 2 pairs came in about 14 weeks, to the store, and I went over and picked them up. I would highly recommend Richards.

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's the pic that was posted on this board a few months ago: [​IMG] And here are some variations that I lifted off of another website some time ago: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I ordered this very shoe (the regular version, without any toe caps) in Edwardian Antique on the 808 last with narrowly-cut soles from EG in February. I'm hoping to get the shoes sometime in May. I wouldn't go with double soles on this shoe. It's just about the most elegant monkstrap that I've ever seen, and I think that double soles would reduce the elegance. The JL Paris version of this shoe (Jermyn II) has a pointed toe and a beveled "bootmaker" sole; the effect is wonderful.

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are those on lthe 808 last (or maybe the 89)? And have they progressed past the "if-I-wear-them-around-the-house-and-junp-up-and-down-maybe-they'll-fit" phase? If I were told that I could only ever buy this shoe and the EG Dover in the various different configurations and colors for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Sign me up for that deal.

10. A Harris

They are on the 89 last.
    [​IMG] This pair fits pretty well, out of the box. I haven't worn them yet though. I antiqued them. The results were incredible and I want to take pictures before I crease them all up...

11. FCS

FCS Senior member

How exactly do you do that?

12. Phil

Phil Senior member

Thanks for all the responses - I have another question about the last. I own several pairs of EGs. They are either in the 202, 505, or 606 lasts. Each last seems to fit my foot well, which is kind of a narrow D width (american). I have never heard of the 89 last, although I love the photo of the Stowes, and would order it in that last if someone could tell me how it compares to the others in terms of fit. I have the EG catalogue and there is no reference to the 89. Thanks.

13. A Harris

The 89 last is for Purple Label shoes only. I don't know whether or not EG will make up special orders shoes on it. Mr. Tony Gaziano of Edward Green described the 89 as a better fitting version of the 808. See the thread  here. I think that if I were to special-order a pair of Stowes, I would go with the 888 last.

14. Phil

Phil Senior member

Harris- did you mean you would order the Stowes in the 888 last, or the 808? I was unaware there was an 888. Thanks.

15. Phil

Phil Senior member

ah, ok, just read that link on andys. The 888 last sounds really nice, I would love to be able to see a pair with that chiseled toe before I order them though. Does anyone have a pic of an EG shoe with an 888 last? thanks, as always.