• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green Shoes Lacking Quality Control...

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And your graceless remark contrasts wonderfully with my admission of error and retraction.

Sorry if the truth bothers you, but you shouldn't have said it in the first place.

atia2

Reaction score

Sorry if the truth bothers you, but you shouldn't have said it in the first place.

Actually, I *should* have said it, because I did not see the cut. I thought the buyer was complaining about the mark in the centre of the heel cup, which was similar to those in his other pictures. Therefore, I gave my input on this in good faith, which is the purpose of this forum. Do you propose to shut such discussion down?

When the cut was pointed out, I admitted my error, retracted my criticism, and gave my good faith reaction on the basis of the new (to me) evidence, namely that the shoe should have been classed as a second.

You can post what you like. It doesn't bother me. I'm just not sure what it added in this case.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello gents

First and foremost, my sincere apologies to spruce.

I wanted to post and state few facts however ;)

I want to say spruce is a very nice customer who came and visited my store after driving for a very long time. I appreciated that and we had good time/conversation at the store....
spruce tried on UK9 pair and purchased them in store.

This pair is Dark Oak Chelsea in 82 last an was not an MTO. Maybe we had a miscommunication about this part but it was a factory pull.... This pair was actually on sale at the time of purchase.

Customer went home and found a small cut on the lacing part (not pictured above).
I explained to customer it is not a defect but he insisted on getting a new pair so I told him 'I have one pair coming from EG stock pull I so I will swap it for you when it comes in few weeks along with my other shipment....you can hold on to this pair until new pair arrives in few weeks'
It actually took much longer than few weeks (about 6 weeks) but he was very patient with me.

I sent customer the second pair but he did not like the little nicks scratches on this second pair he received (picture #2, #3 and #4)

I tried to explain once more that these are organic materials we are working with and they are not defects and offered customer another additional discount on top of the sale price if he wanted to keep pair #2.
He decide to take the first pair he received instead since he thought they were in better shape.....however later that day he inspected the first pair again and found the big cut on original pair (picture #1)

At this point I was bit hesitant to pull yet another stock from EG factory as I feared he might not like the 3rd pair's quality might not be up to his standards....so I offered full refund and process the full refund (minus shoetrees at discounted rated as customer wanted to keep them).....I also offered some shoecare gifts for all the troubles caused.....Customer insisted on pulling another pair from stock at EG...so I finally said okay lets give it another try......I explained to EG factory that customer received two bad pairs and I want them to very carefully examine the shoes before shipping it out for the 3rd time.

EG replied back saying they will make sure QC properly and polishing manager takes a look at this pair they will ship to us end of May (maybe early June according to my previous EG shipping timeline)

I really tried here and as a small mom and pop store Im now stuck with two defective pair and this maybe the last pair I can accomodate for the customer.
Again these pairs were not MTO and they were not sold at full retail....

Crossing my fingers that the third pair will be up to standard....
Enjoy your weekend gents
Steve

Last edited:

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh I also want to point out that me and spruce has been on the phone and text to resolbe this situation few times in the past few months...
(the previous post above was also communicated to spruce for him to review as well)

I did explain to spruce that since he purchase it from me, it would be best if he deals with me rather than trying to contact EG email (which is their London Shop email...not the EG factory email...which I communicated with him as well)

VERY IMPORTANTLY.....
pictures spruce has posted initially is combination of 2 different pairs....

Picture #1 (one with a deep cut/gouge) is the pair number 1 spruce initially purchased at the store (me and spruce did not see that cut/gouge at the store at the time....)

Picture #2 #3 #4 is the second pair (factory pull) I sent him...

Again I am not trying to quarrel with anyone and especially with spruce but wanted to show that I care and I tried (and still trying for the 2nd stock pull...pair #3)
Thank you again and apologize for the trouble I have caused.

Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents

I want to say spruce is a very nice customer who came and visited my store after driving for a very long time. I appreciated that and we had good time/conversation at the store....

This pair is Dark Oak Chelsea in 82 last an was not an MTO. Maybe we had a miscommunication about this part but it was a factory pull.... This pair was actually on sale at the time of purchase.

Customer went home and found a small cut on the lacing part (not pictured above).
I explained to customer it is not a defect but he insisted on getting a new pair so I told him 'I have one pair coming from EG stock pull I so I will swap it for you when it comes in few weeks along with my other shipment....you can hold on to this pair until new pair arrives in few weeks'
It actually took much longer than few weeks (about 6 weeks) but he was very patient with me.

I sent customer the second pair but he did not like the little nicks scratches on this second pair he received (picture #2, #3 and #4)

I tried to explain once more that these are organic materials we are working with and they are not defects and offered customer another additional discount on top of the sale price if he wanted to keep pair #2.
He decide to take the first pair he received instead since he thought they were in better shape.....however later that day he inspected the first pair again and found the big cut on original pair (picture #1)

At this point I was bit hesitant to pull yet another stock from EG factory as I feared he might not like the 3rd pair's quality might not be up to his standards....so I offered full refund and process the full refund (minus shoetrees at discounted rated as customer wanted to keep them).....I also offered some shoecare gifts for all the troubles caused.....Customer insisted on pulling another pair from stock at EG...so I finally said okay lets give it another try......I explained to EG factory that customer received two bad pairs and I want them to very carefully examine the shoes before shipping it out for the 3rd time.

EG replied back saying they will make sure QC properly and polishing manager takes a look at this pair they will ship to us end of May (maybe early June according to my previous EG shipping timeline)

I really tried here and as a small mom and pop store Im now stuck with two defective pair and this maybe the last pair I can accomodate for the customer.

Enjoy your weekend gents
Steve
Well, it looks to me that Steve is doing all he can to make the customer happy, and IMO EG should mark the pair with cut on leather (#1 if I am right) as "seconds/rejects" in the first place instead of sending them out to retailer. to be honest, I have seen many EG seconds, that kind of cut is even inferior to EG seconds....

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hello gents

At this point I was bit hesitant to pull yet another stock from EG factory as I feared he might not like the 3rd pair's quality might not be up to his standards....so I offered full refund and process the full refund (minus shoetrees at discounted rated as customer wanted to keep them).....I also offered some shoecare gifts  for all the troubles caused.....Customer insisted on pulling another pair from stock at EG...so I finally said okay lets give it another try......I explained to EG factory that customer received two bad pairs and I want them to very carefully examine the shoes before shipping it out for the 3rd time.

Enjoy your weekend gents
Steve

Sorry to hear this Steve. Can Edward Green help you out here?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a bunch of EG from Steve including a 5 order Kentmere MTO order I am waiting on and I know he will bend over backwards to answer questions, to me this smells like EG dumping this on Steve to take care of - not cool of EG and I think Steve and spruce are holding the bag for them not stepping up.

One of the most annoying explanations from other shoe vendors is this argument "Hey these will be scratched any way so you should be ok with it" - I might have my car scratched but I am not going to be happy buying a brand new car and getting some scratched up car show up.

However I never have had this issue with Steve and one of the reasons I avoid another vendor in Denver and send all my orders through Steve is because of how earnestly and honestly he tries to make it right.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Many thanks gentlemen for your kind words!

One of the main reason I responded on this post was to clarify few facts and also to clear EG's name as well.

It was very unfortunate/unlucky case with spruce's 2 pairs of stock pull...but EG is stepping up and having the 3rd pair shipped to us. This time around both polishing manager and production manager at the factory will inspect them. I still believe their QC and attention to quality is top notch and they are extremely easy to work with actually :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads