1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Shoes in Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Apr 16, 2005.

1. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

4 or 5 eyelets for the Halifax? 5 would look better on the 606 IMO.

The Shannon sounds awesome. You should post pics when you receive them.

You DC folks sure know how to throw a shoe party.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, what's next? A DC branch of the Swann Club?

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Well, I was there for 5 minutes or so, probably around 3 PM. I found myself completely unprepared to make any decisions about what I wanted. I wasn't even wearing socks. So I ended up with nothing except regrets. [​IMG] That being said, the trunk show was totally cool. Absolutely beautiful shoes. My favorite was (if I recall correctly) a chestnut and maple calf wingtip on the 606 last. Stunning. Maybe in ten years or so I'll be able to pull something like that off. And of course the good news is that whenever I do figure out what I want, Sky Valet is a 2 minute walk from my house.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

[​IMG] Makes me think about saving some of the Brooks Brothers gift cards I have lying around.

5. montecristo#4

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

kabert, you tease. Â You got us all to go around 2, then didn't show up until after 4. Â [​IMG] The trunk show was like being the proverbial kid in the candy store. Â So many beautiful shoes, so little money. Â Fortunately, the Sky Valet guys didn't mind us loitering, uh, I mean "browsing," for several hours. Â (Unlike the salesman at Relish. [​IMG]) Â Suzie was kind enough to get the foot measurements of the tire-kickers among us for future reference, although by the time she reached me, she seemed rather tired of tracing feet and decreed that I was a 10D after I tried on a sample pair. Â One odd thing was that Suzie stated that all the lasts are variations of the 202, with little difference other than the toe shape . . . can anyone confirm? After the trunk show, a few of us retired to an Austrian coffeehouse in Georgetown, where we waited out the thunderstorm. Â A good time was had by all. Â We will definitely have to get together again.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Great choice.  For the Kingway, I much prefer the dark oak to the tan that SV stocks.  I think that these shoes would get the Manton seal of approval for wear with a suit.

8. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you, RJman. And thank you, Ambulance Chaser...though weren't you also part of the team that convinced me to get the Montpeliers in chestnut rather than burgundy? So many choices....so little closet space. We need to find more opportunities to get together. By the way, I am sure that Manton would have also been pleased that Susan dissuaded me from getting a pair in black.

9. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

The Newbury whole-cut with medallion on the 888 last in chestnut with "deeper" antiquing.

Had Susan and Alex all to myself mid-morning on Saturday.  Both were charming and very helpful.

First time to Sky Valet - certainly not the last - great shop.

Kept an eye out for anyone looking like a "Kabert" . . . . .

10. kabert

kabert Senior member

(kabert @ May 14 2005,20:27) So gents, what was the take? Â What did you order? -- Shannon boots in dark oak, last 606, with wing cap and medallion, and some nifty brogueing along the wing cap and along the front-to-back seam. Â Double sole. Â She said they may be getting another NYC customer in the not too distant future -- an old line retailer on Madison Avenue with stores all over the US, this would only be for the NYC store though (to start anyway). Kabert, you poacher. Â I'm getting Shannons on the 606 with a wingtip and broguing along the seams. Â Double Dainite sole and dark oak willow calf. Â What color are you getting?
    RJ, is this town not big enough for two pairs of EG Shannnons with wingcaps?? A duel perhaps? [​IMG] I was going to do the long-wing instead of the shorter wingcap, but was dissuaded by both Susie and Alex, who convinced me it wouldn't look right (throw off the balance). I'm getting straight dark oak calfskin. I actually asked about the possibility of getting regular calf on the lower boot and the dark oak willow on the top part, but Alex dissuaded me, saying he thought the willow leather was quite thick and may take awhile to break-in (and be painful in the process). Plus, it won't really be visible. Now, I wonder what how it would look getting the dark green (on top) with dark oak (on the bottom).

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Barney's? Is Barney's considered an "old line retailer on Madison Ave. with stores all over?" This description fits only one store on Madison that I know of.

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

(kabert @ May 14 2005,23:27) -- Halifax boots in dark oak, last 606. Â Double sole -- Shannon boots in dark oak, last 606, with wing cap and medallion, and some nifty brogueing along the wing cap and along the front-to-back seam. Â Double sole.
    4 or 5 eyelets for the Halifax? Â 5 would look better on the 606 IMO.
    Hmm, I didn't know I could request 4 versus 5 eyelets. However, I found some pics of the Dover with 5 eyelets and a picture of the Halifax boot in a country style (505 last, pebble grain) with 4 eyelets. I agree -- definitely more elegant with 5 eyelets.

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

Anyone ever hear of an Edward Green belt? Here's one on EBay in size 36. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....48&rd=1 At the trunk show, I asked Susie about it, thinking perhaps it was something old and long since discontinued. She seemed surprised and said they have belts for sale now and have for a long time. (Not that one would ever know about it based on the EG website.) She said all one has to do is to call or email and they'll sell you a belt, and, she said for a price less than the EBay auction ($125). I assume (I should have asked) you can have them make belts in any of the EG leathers, including antique olive and antique marine blue. Now there's an idea....

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I own one in black, silver buckle. Quit nice and not badly priced at 75 quid.

15. montecristo#4

(montecristo#4 @ May 15 2005,11:50) My guess is Barney's.
    Barney's? Â Is Barney's considered an "old line retailer on Madison Ave. with stores all over?" Â This description fits only one store on Madison that I know of.
    Barney's has been around since 1923 and they do have stores and outlets all over the country. Plus, right now they carry C&J handgrades, which are pretty similar to EG.

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

That definitely is a very serious case of Imeldaitis.

17. kabert

kabert Senior member

(kabert @ May 15 2005,20:35) I was going to do the long-wing instead of the shorter wingcap... I'm getting straight dark oak calfskin... getting regular calf on the lower boot and the dark oak willow on the top part... I wonder what how it would look getting the dark green (on top) with dark oak (on the bottom).
    That definitely is a very serious case of Imeldaitis.
    It's only a temporary case, seriously. Brought on by the intoxicating sight of antique olive Edward Green wholecuts (Newbury model) with a toe medallion.

18. kabert

kabert Senior member

John Lobb's version of the Shannon boot: http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalog....cap.htm Note the different leather on the top versus the bottom. I guess it's probably a bit ambitious to ask EG if, when the re-do their website, they'd add a "design your own shoe" feature, similar to car websites, where you can "build" a car, with the color and various options. That way, you could see exactly how the shoe will look when completed. I'm kidding.

19. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shoehorns at dawn, kabert? Or will you stand us up like at the trunk show :-( ? The willow calf is supposed to be stiff. I'm hoping the boot ends up looking a bit like a Berluti bespoke boot I've seen (also in a dark oak color). I think you should get the boot in blue and green. We'll uh have to have a boot party when they come in. DC Swann club, anyone? I'll supply one bottle of champers...

20. friendlyone

friendlyone Well-Known Member

It was great meeting so many like-minded fanatics at Sky Valet on Saturday. I think that the EG staff were taken aback by our fanaticism; they kept asking how we "knew" each other and knew so much about EG. And once the party really started going, with Duveen and RJ Man (among others) waxing eloquent, Alex moved to the side, shaking his head and looking a bit worried.

Now, as for what I ordered, it was the Troon in brown, as I have a weakness for monkstraps. But my next order is definitely going to be the Newbury in olive, without a doubt the most striking shoe in the collection. If you had asked me on Friday I would have assured you that I would never go for a green shoe. But that was before I saw the model in Sky Valet. The fact is that that the color is perfectly wearable: when it is on your feet it looks black and unremarkable, until you see it in a certain light. Then, the cognescenti's eyes will pop out. Besides the color, I adore the shape and the simplicity of the medallion.

Now as for the question of which shop on Madison EG might soon be supplying, I have no idea. But I do know that they supply Barney's in Japan.

Finally, I for one was not disappointed in any way by RJ Man. Actually, he was exactly what I had imagined: incredibly enthusiastic and encyclopediac in his knowledge.

Hope to see you all again...perhaps when the shoes come in.