• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green repair cost?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might I inquire from those who've done it... how much might it cost to have an Edward Green shoe re-heeled by Edward Green, exclusive of shipping?

What if it's just the bottom leather layer (toplift?)? Would this be cheaper?

I thought it would cost 25 pounds to mail from Southeast Asia to London, Royal Mail, one way, and 59 pounds for the repair, or about 109 pounds.

Do Lobb and C&J charge similar prices?

Thanks.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the complete resole is quite expensive - pretty solidly over 100 pounds. The simple re-heel might be less, though I'm not 100% sure. If my shoes ever need it, I plan to have them reheeled locally and only send them back to the manufacturer when the full resole is necessary.

timekeeping

Reaction score
For behcngrade, C&J charges GBP80 for a complete resole at Northampton through the Royal Arcade store. Postage comes to around GBP40 to the Asia Pacific. Took 2 months but it came back flawless.

Not sure if they charge more for handgrade.

I requested double soles which was gladly provided and should prolong the time between the next resole.

Ed355

Reaction score
Complete reheel and resole is around 190 pounds. I know cos I just had it done.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if EG will do a beveled waist on the resole if requested.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355

JE-SUS!

It's barely more expensive to buy a new pair of shoes in the sale. On the other hand, if it's the only way I can guarantee keeping that wonderful EG "cushion" feeling, it may be worth it!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus after all that wear the leather will be supple, the shoe moulded to your foot... there's something special about older shoes. I like my shoes much much better once they are fully broken in.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
That's a ridiculous amount. I've paid less than that for a brand new pair of EGs. Does anyone know a non-factory source that can do channelled soles? Someone suggested Perry Ercolino but wasn't certain that he would do channelled soles.

dan

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Plus after all that wear the leather will be supple, the shoe moulded to your foot...
This applies to the sole, and more so the heel?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
This applies to the sole, and more so the heel?
No - I was refering to the upper

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The last I heard, EG was charging GBP 125. Prices might have gone up, but I can't believe that much.

As a rule of thumb: English manufacturers charge for a resole job about 1/3 of the price for a new pair (excluding premiums for exotic leathers).

This has held up over history, when a pair was GBP 30 or 35 (late 60s early 70s) a full repair would have been GBP 10 or 12.

josepidal - just ask EG to send you a 'top lift' (the top layer of leather and rubber) in the right size and ask a local cobbler to put it on.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
... or don't.

lawl
tongue.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Delos is charging 400 euros for a bespoke shoe resole. I'm sure he's less than his former patron Lobb Paris.

Whoever says fine shoes pay for themselves is wrong from an economic standpoint.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads