• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green recrafting on Permanent Style

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
So I got a pleasant surprise yesterday...

Rebirth:
100_3906.jpg

Wow...Stunning. Congrats.

Did EG factory install the metal toe taps for you as well?

If you don't mind, what is the total cost for re-crafting/re-furbishing?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
They'll probably be on eBay next week as BNIB
wink.gif

That would just be so wrong!
laugh.gif
Besides, I'm pretty eager to have these hit the pavement.
fing02[1].gif

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Wow, those shoes do look new. What an excellent transformation. They really got the leather back into great shape didn't they?

I'm guessing they totally stripped the uppers and refinished them. I could not have gotten the same results using only cream and wax.

Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Wow...Stunning. Congrats.

Did EG factory install the metal toe taps for you as well?

If you don't mind, what is the total cost for re-crafting/re-furbishing?

The total EG cost for these, incl. the factory installed toe taps was 195£ incl. Royal Air Mail return shipping to N.A.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Those look great Wes.

What's with the blue box?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Thanks for the photos Wes ... EG did a very good job with your Asquiths.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by jjl5000
Those look great Wes.

What's with the blue box?

Thanks. The box is actually a dull hunter/forest green; the outdoor pics are the most accurate colour. I was speculating that it's what they provide with refurbished shoes, but some have said that it was their old style box used prior to the familiar turquoise shoeboxes. Then someone mentioned recent MTOs come in a similar box as well... How much do you think I can sell it to bigbris for?
laugh.gif

cwh812

Reaction score
Wes, I am amazed. I got my first pair of EG's just under a year ago. I have since gotten another pair and have one more on order. It is amazing to see what they come back as after going in for a resole/recraft. I look forward to getting to that point in a few years just so I can see the transformation.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Makes me wish I'd sent the Falkirks back for a recraft.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Wow! Makes me wish I'd sent the Falkirks back for a recraft.

I vaguely recall those (or perhaps I'm mistaken with RJ's MTO pair?). Didn't you suffer seller's remorse and attempt to track down your buyer? They weren't in any worse shape than the pair bengal pictured here and had recrafted right?

Xenon

Reaction score
That recraft is amazing!

That said what amazed me initially was how quickly and badly the gemming had failed in the blog photos on the EG. Is that due to the wearer perspiring intensely or other water damage?

kraftar

Reaction score
Wow, that is nice! When EG resole/recraft the shoe can they adjust the size? I have an old pair that are a little too tight and would fit much better if they were a bit wider.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I vaguely recall those (or perhaps I'm mistaken with RJ's MTO pair?). Didn't you suffer seller's remorse and attempt to track down your buyer? They weren't in any worse shape than the pair bengal pictured here and had recrafted right?

They were in great shape and not in need of re-crafting, but would have been well worth it. I considered buying a new pair but went with the Malvern instead.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
They were in great shape and not in need of re-crafting, but would have been well worth it. I considered buying a new pair but went with the Malvern instead.

Malvern? Was that a post Midford purchase?

While my initial and main intention when I bought these was to gauge sizing on the 888, I did hope they'd be in good enough shape that I might consider sending them in for a recraft... In the end, given the results, I consider the whole experience as getting the equivalent of a MTO for a fraction of the cost.
smile.gif

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had EG make up the Malvern for me on the 202. Ordered it soon after the Midfort. Waiting for the sale list email to make the next move.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads