Edward Green question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jun 22, 2005.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

EG has 2 models on sale in my size that interest me. The first is the Cadogan in chesnut on the 202 last (semi-brogue oxford). The second is the Fawsley in burnt pine on the 606 (more modern looking cap toe oxford). Which should I get, if anything?

What does one wear burnt pine with?

Thanks.

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear my burnt pine berkley's with gray, tan, and navy. They look good with all, I'd suggest if you go with burnt pine you also purchase a matching belt. Not a hugh fan of chesnut, tough color to pull off in my opinion.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Grab those.. Oo lala...

4. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Thanks. what about the Fawsly in burnt pine on the 606 vs. the Oundle (monkstrap) in chesnut on the 808? Thank you again.

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

That's comparing apples to oranges I think. The Fawsley is a very beautiful shoe and it is very versatile. But it is not unique like the Oundle. The Oundle (like its predecesor, the Stowe) is a striking shoe that is unlike any other shoe I've seen, other than John Lobb's similarly styled and equally rare shoe. On the other hand, I think the Oundle is unique and special enough that it can't be worn as frequently as a more "blend in with the masses" Fawsley. Get them both.

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Trickers makes a similar model for the Japanese market. I'm sure C&J Paris is dreaming one up right now too.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I should check out the Trickers' sale. It started this past Monday.

I think the Lobb Jermyn II is one of the nicest shoes out there. But the EG Oundle is awesome also.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Well, I got the Inverness in dark oak. They were out of the Lichfield, and I opted for the Inverness on the 888 as opposed to the Chelsea on the 82 in dark oak (I already have the Grenson Oundle in a "burnt pine" type color).

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Get renter's insurance. I predict that some suits and shoes will disappear soon [​IMG]

10. johnnynorman3

[​IMG] Got it -- and a doorman and sturdy lock. BTW, pm me your Paypal address, La Guy.

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now there is a very tough decision. Personally I'd go with the Fawsley, but that is because my instep is too high to wear the Oundle, plus burnt pine is my favorite EG color and the 606 my favorite EG last. But the 808 comes in a close second - great looking last, and the Oundle is an awesome shoe. Keep in mind that the 808 doesn't fit everyone well, it tapers quickly towards the toe. Have you ever tried on an 808 shoe?

12. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I am going to try both the Fawsley on the 606 and the Oundle on the 808 tomorrow at the EG shop. Will be a touch choice. Another question, EG has a full strap loafer in chesnut on the 184 (?) last. I don't recall the name. If you guys were to go with a chesnut loafer, would you go with the:

EG full strap loafer on the 184? last
    or the
    JM Weston 180 loafer in tan.

Assuming I can get a decent fit on both.

Thank you.

13. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

how does the board feel about taps (front and back) on the greens. Im very hard on my shoes and willing to give up a little elegance for durability....are there any downsides to this?

14. johnnynorman3

Subject to the caveat that I don't know how well the leather on Weston shoes age, the leather and finishing on the Edward Greens are so far superior that it isn't even funny. In addition, if you have a big foot, the Weston shoes don't strike me as that elegant. I particularly like shell cordovan or antiqued leather for a pair of loafers -- it gives it that sort of lived in look that I think the shoe calls for. That being the case, I would go with Green.

15. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am assuming that you mean the Montpelier. All I can tell you is that I ordered this shoe in chestnut from Edward Green during the trunk show in Washington, DC last month. Sky Valet -- which hosted the event -- is a retailer for Weston as well so I was able to compare the two models. As I said, I opted for the EG.