• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green or Alfred Sargent Handgrade?

RICHARDIIII

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

For my 30th brirthday later this year, I have decided to treat myself to a pair of either Edward Greens (Harrogate) or AS HGs (Pendle). I would be grateful if there is anyone who owns both (not the paricular models) and can give me their opinions.

For me, although look is obviously important, it is the feel of the shoes that matters most, especially the comfort when walking. I have a pair of AS Moors (exclusive range), and although they look super, they don't feel as nice to wear as my Churchs (Chetwynd). I'm not that fussed about a report on the leather or last shape, just how they feel when wearing them.

Finally, are EGs really worth twice a pair of Churchs/ C&Js et cetera?

Many thanks,

Richard.

Last edited by a moderator:

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume that much of the "feel" you are referring to has to do with "fit" and so it is nearly impossible for us to predict for you.

There are a million threads on the "worth" question. The answer boils down to: only if you think it is.

Arzakon

Reaction score
If you can wait till late June I should have my Pendles by then. I assume they are going to fit very well given they are made based off of a foot tracing and multiple measurements taken on your foot.

Note there is a step up in price from EG to AS Handgrade, the prices aren't so close anymore. I'd have no problem buying C&J handgrades if I saw something I liked, I wouldn't put Church's on the same level. None of this speaks to "fit" though as its completely arbitrary.

Send me a PM if you want me to let you know how they are when I get them.

RICHARDIIII

Reaction score
I assume that much of the "feel" you are referring to has to do with "fit" and so it is nearly impossible for us to predict for you.
There are a million threads on the "worth" question. The answer boils down to: only if you think it is.
As opposed to "feel"meaning fit, I was meaning the feel of the sole when walking, I find my AS shoes feel a little thin compaired to my Churchs

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As opposed to "feel"meaning fit, I was meaning the feel of the sole when walking, I find my AS shoes feel a little thin compaired to my Churchs

It depends on the type of sole you like. AS HG soles are much finer with fiddleback waist, etc. I have a couple of EG and they (as you would consider) 'feel' the same way as my AS, since the soles are relatively comparable. I have double leather soles that are more substantial from various manufacturer's when I want a heftier 'feel' during my walks.

Both EG and AS are excellent shoes. EG has the tradition and personally I like the thickness/weight of their uppers slightly over AS). Conversely, I will say that Chay from AS is excellent to work with and may provide you with more personal service than EG (unless you know someone there already). Another factor is re-sole since AS probably charges less than half of EG (with EG I think running around $400 the last time I saw). Haven't had a resole within the past couple of years so rates might have changed.

Enjoy whichever pair you purchase!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads