1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green MTO

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

I believe Tricker's 'bespoke' is essentially MTO on your own last. The chap I spoke to in their shop on Jermyn Street did not use the word bespoke

The sign on the shop front window does state the shoes are 'bespoke'

2. academe

academe Senior member

I believe Tricker's 'bespoke' is essentially MTO on your own last. The chap I spoke to in their shop on Jermyn Street did not use the word bespoke

I think you're confusing their MTO programme with the bespoke programme. These are 2 different things. I've been aware of the MTO programme, but only recently (thanks to this thread) become aware of their bespoke one.

3. Trivia

Trivia Member

Has anyone ever tried Tricker's bespoke? Would be superb to get some first-hand info.

4. Trivia

Trivia Member

Just FYI: I had an email conversation with Tricker's. The lasts are individually tailored to your feet, but the shoes are produced on the "normal" factory machines. They use the same leather as for the RTW shoes and I suspect the finish will be the same, as well. Price is GBP 1050 incl. VAT right now. They don't charge for making the lasts, but this also means that subsequent pairs don't get cheaper.

5. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Which are the stockist that are capable of taking the measurements for the last or is this something only possible with a factory visit?

Edited. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was refering to the Tricker's bespoke mentioned in the post above.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Leffot in NYC. Skyvalet in DC. The Ralph Lauren mansions, though they'll expect you to buy through them. Neiman Marcus or Saks, maybe.

7. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

As much as I love EG I find that to be outrageous too. Perhaps they need to model their business after VW who aims to sell more cars in the US and as a result have lowered their prices.

I think one should be careful what they wish for. Sure, EG could lower prices, but then, they would probably lower their quality as well, to a level of market that is already well populated. While we all want cheaper shoes, constantly asking for cheaper shoes only ever leads to factories taking shortcuts. Look at Grenson for instance.

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

I think one should be careful what they wish for. Sure, EG could lower prices, but then, they would probably lower their quality as well, to a level of market that is already well populated. While we all want cheaper shoes, constantly asking for cheaper shoes only ever leads to factories taking shortcuts. Look at Grenson for instance.

I would agree that EG has been churning out a better product. But I bought a pair a year ago for £498.00 and exactly 1 year later the same shoe will cost me £610. That is egregious as those are tax free prices. And I have to wait 3 months!

9. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Careful. I paid $290 for a pair of UK boots, and was hit with a $100 import fee from FedEX.
    That's a huge percentage of the products cost.
    I was totally blindsided by this random fee, and was fairly annoyed.

10. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

I would agree that EG has been churning out a better product. But I bought a pair a year ago for £498.00 and exactly 1 year later the same shoe will cost me £610. That is egregious as those are tax free prices. And I have to wait 3 months!

+1! No reason for such a sharp increase in pricing.

11. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing their MTO programme with the bespoke programme. These are 2 different things. I've been aware of the MTO programme, but only recently (thanks to this thread) become aware of their bespoke one.

from my conversation with the assistant in the shop, the difference between the two is that they make a last for you at the 'bespoke' price, and they make more of an effort to make it fit you. You can't design your own shoe outside of their existing pattern range. That was my understanding, but I stand corrected.

12. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

I just bought a beautiful pair of Edward Green MTO whiskey shell cordovan wingtips off of B&S. They are a 9D on the 606 last. Will I have any trouble fitting into these with my US size 9.5D feet?

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

While never a guarantee, assuming they are a UK 9 they should work well for you. Good luck!

14. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

Assuming they're 9/9.5D on the 606, I would guess they will be fine on the length but snug on the width.

15. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Something has gone to E. Green's head. How much has their price gone up in about only 5 years? 200%?

200%? EGs were $400 MSRP at one point?

16. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Assuming they're 9/9.5D on the 606, I would guess they will be fine on the length but snug on the width.

yep. great news. i'm a narrow D, so they should be fine! [​IMG]

17. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Careful. I paid $290 for a pair of UK boots, and was hit with a $100 import fee from FedEX. That's a huge percentage of the products cost. I was totally blindsided by this random fee, and was fairly annoyed.
    When possible, ask the UK shipper to use Royal Mail when shipping to the U.S....not FedEx, UPS. or DHL The U.S.P.S. is another arm of the U.S. government....like Customs, thus they do not aggressively pursue penalizing the Post Office for not imposing customs duties. Thus when the Royal Mail is used, it automatically is delivered by the U.S.P.S. FedEx, UPS, & DHL are brutalized by the U.S. Customs when they do not impose duties...thus they all declare the full value of the goods & impose their import duty processing fee for using their customs broker....the USPS does not hit you with these fees...and only randomly imposes the customs duty tax Most of the savvy UK merchants ship the product with the notation that the item is a commercial sample with no value

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

Problem is, it looks like EG has moved to shipping via UPS so add on an additional $100 to the price [​IMG]

19. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

Which color of suede is the closest to match the Dark Oak calf? Mocha or maybe Mink?

Thank you!

20. NORE

NORE Senior member

I think Mink is darker, not sure about Mocha