1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green MTO

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Jan 21, 2011.

1. braised

braised Senior member

Galway is a boot, it has always been more expensive. They are great, the rosewood is a great color.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Wow. Looks like I'm now officially priced out of the EG MTO market. No worries as I already have a few and am more than content just dealing with Alfred Sargent's MTO program. That's something the OP may want to consider as well.

3. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

Wow. Looks like I'm now officially priced out of the EG MTO market. No worries as I already have a few and am more than content just dealing with Alfred Sargent's MTO program. That's something the OP may want to consider as well.

How does the AS MTO Program compare to EG in terms of price?

4. academe

academe Senior member

Lobb, W.S. Foster, Cleverley are a couple of grand for bespoke shoes, boots slightly more.

Custom-made riding boots can be as much as £5000.

http://manufactureandindustry.blogsp...oke-shoes.html

Trickers bespoke seems like excellent value... Perhaps next time I'm in London I'll give them a try!

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

Depends on whether you have a standing relationship or not. Truth be told, AS will take care of you. EG prices are written in stone (until they increase them).

6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

The great thing about AS is that they have MTO options across the board similar to EG, but not at that price level. You can MTO any standard shoe of theirs from the Premier or Classic collections you see on their website or Pediwear. They do an upcharge of around 50 GBP to change the color or the last which would make the price somewhere around 275 GBP depending on the model. The Handgrade line is of course significantly more if you're looking for those kind of features.

7. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

EG is in my dog house at present. Four e-mails went unanswerered during the recent winter sale. I sent repeated requests for the stock list, which in the past they sent out the day the sale started.

Nothing. Not a single response.

Really a crappy way to do business.

As for the G&G at Bespoke -the basic price is 670.00 pnds with trees(and shipping is free on MTO) and you are looking at about $1,100.00 price point. Excellent value

I have been corresponding with them over the last few weeks. Their replies have been spotty. I will go back & forth 3-4 times a day, and then an email will just go completely unanswered. Kinda disturbing as well. One of my unanswered emails was a change order request. I hope they got it. It wasn't a huge issue, so I won't be extremely upset if it didn't happen. However, I will say something.

8. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

The great thing about AS is that they have MTO options across the board similar to EG, but not at that price level. You can MTO any standard shoe of theirs from the Premier or Classic collections you see on their website or Pediwear. They do an upcharge of around 50 GBP to change the color or the last which would make the price somewhere around 275 GBP depending on the model. The Handgrade line is of course significantly more if you're looking for those kind of features.

They can also alter design but according to Chay, this has a £100 up-charge

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Sounds right. I haven't altered anything yet, but makes sense they would have to charge for it.

10. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I'm hoping they can alter sizing a bit to accommodate orthotics. Going to run into Chay at an upcoming trunkshow in the US to see what he can do for me. I emailed him a few months ago and he wants to see me in person and fit me before making any decisions.

EG MTO in the US is going to run $1300 - hoping AS will come quite a bit below that.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'm hoping they can alter sizing a bit to accommodate orthotics. Going to run into Chay at an upcoming trunkshow in the US to see what he can do for me. I emailed him a few months ago and he wants to see me in person and fit me before making any decisions.

EG MTO in the US is going to run $1300 - hoping AS will come quite a bit below that.

It definitely will. The new EG prices just seem ridiculous to me especially with Vass and AS out there.

12. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Get a custom last made by SpringLine and AS can use it to make your MTO shoes

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

True, but I tried to do that and it didn't really work out. It's not a magic formula like we hope it may be. You need to do a few fittings with AS and Springline together to make sure it can be what it should so that means multiple trips to England. I get the impression that if you don't do fittings it's essentially like ordering a jacket from Chan on their tour without any fittings. It works well for some people, but for others the first jacket doesn't fit as well as future ones or as good as it would have with fittings.

If an AS stock last can work that seems to be most ideal.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

the last alone is not a guarantee. it's what "AS" can make of it.

mr. cooper will give him good advice. my gut feeling tells me.

if i'm not mistaken this is an EG topic, not?

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

the last alone is not a guarantee. it's what "AS" can make of it.

mr. cooper will give him good advice. my gut feeling tells me.

if i'm not mistaken this is an EG topic, not?

fritzl is correct all around!

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

True, but I tried to do that and it didn't really work out. It's not a magic formula like we hope it may be. You need to do a few fittings with AS and Springline together to make sure it can be what it should so that means multiple trips to England. I get the impression that if you don't do fittings it's essentially like ordering a jacket from Chan on their tour without any fittings. It works well for some people, but for others the first jacket doesn't fit as well as future ones or as good as it would have with fittings.

exactly, you stepped up your game rather quick. congrats.

17. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

Update: £955:

Galway - stock: £730
    MTO price: £150
    Trees: £75

Aug. 2009 - bought boot:

Galway - stock: £640
    Trees: £55

That's an increase of £90 on the stock boot and £20 on trees.

MTO, in this case, has gone up from £130 to £150.

18. iyorito

iyorito Senior member

They are upping the UK "Retail" price to match the Japanese "Retail" price, while the wholesale price going up marginally.

19. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

They changed their sales approach. Check the Green Sales List thread.

Would it have been too much for them to respond to my inquiry? I sent in my first note a couple of weeks before the sale usually occurred.

When I check the Green Sale thread it appears as if stock lists were sent out; just not to me despite a number of requests on my part. How was the sale "different?

20. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

That would be my plan for AS or EG I think - Go stock and try to make adjustments. I haven't seen AS shoes in person - I looked at EG at Leffot in NY and they are beautiful... I was very impressed with both styling and substance (if I had $10k burning a hole in my pocket, I would buy 5 pairs of shoes + some boots [​IMG]

Given that I'm an ocean away - it's going to be key to work with someone locally, like Leffot in NY or Leathersoul in BH, who can be a go between whether it's EG, AS, G&G, Ron Rider, etc. Probably going to need a fitting in the US before the sole goes on to ensure my orthotics and foot fit so having a professional to guide me will be key.