Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Edward Green MTO

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Jan 21, 2011.

1. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I'm considering an EG MTO. Nothing weird, just a leather and colour change. EG quoted me £955 (with trees)! Reckon £55 is for the trees. Blimey! Last year I was quoted £770. Sky Valet's EG MTO is about £770. C&J charge about £700 for MTO, if I recall. I find it very difficult to believe that an EG MTO could have gone up by 15% in a year! Any recent MTOs? Is this about right? I might go on holiday instead!

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

You have to add £100 for shoe-trees, I own EG shoes but do not have any MTO shoes or their shoe-trees; I did enquire about MTO shoes (Cheslea model) early last year, Val quoted £690 and £100 for shoe-trees. If you use Bespoke-England for MTO G&G, they start at £700 and shoe-trees are £95.

What shoes did you request MTO, because starting at £955 with shoe-trees is about £150 too much for the base range?

As for MTO C&J, why bother at their (up-charge) prices? Better of spending a bit more money and getting MTO G&G.

3. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Are you sure you did not ask for Top Drawer...almost 1000 pounds sounds like TD...not MTO

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

They were quoting 650 ish before Christmas. RL wants $1300 for their EG MTO shoes in the US.

5. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Are you sure you did not ask for Top Drawer...almost 1000 pounds sounds like TD...not MTO

I had thought so too. Even with the increase in VAT included, that still seems like too much of a jump for MTO. I could be wrong though, EG has been infamous WRT price adjustments often citing poor excuses such as preserving brand exclusivity or inflation.

Rabies, what was the change you requested? Shell Cordovan in High boots?

6. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Yes, he was quoted TD price.

7. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

8. rabiesinfrance

Requested a leather/colour change (smooth calf; burgundy or chestnut) on their in-store (Jermyn Street) "Galway" model, which is only available in Rosewood Country Calf (I own this boot). I replied to EG's e-mail and asked for the breakdown of the quote i.e. if price quoted included lasted, handmade, trees. No reply. Appreciate more time and work goes into MTO, but then again they are only using a different type of leather. Doesn't seem right! Have e-mailed them again requesting clarification on whether the price quoted is for "Top Drawer".

9. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

Appreciate more time and work goes into MTO

Now, I suppose that would only be if the leather and colour you selected were more time-consuming to work with. Otherwise, they'd just make the same shoe with different materials which wouldn't take any extra time. Just doesn't justify the extra money they ask, IMO.

Same with me: my left foot is half a size smaller than my right so I should go the mto or bespoke route since no store will sell me two different-sized shoes. Makes sense. But the extra charge just for making two regular shoes in slightly different sizes just seems ridiculous to me...

10. rabiesinfrance

As for MTO C&J, why bother at their (up-charge) prices? Better of spending a bit more money and getting MTO G&G.[/quote]

Agree with that! I think their MTO at £700 is for 'benchgrade' quality stuff - not Handgrade! Tricker's do the same thing at £475, but you can get MTO Tricker's from Shoehealer for £350. Tricker's would do you a fully bespoke shoe for £800, but I don't know if they'd use EG quality leather. I digress!

11. rabiesinfrance

Now, I suppose that would only be if the leather and colour you selected were more time-consuming to work with. Otherwise, they'd just make the same shoe with different materials which wouldn't take any extra time. Just doesn't justify the extra money they ask, IMO. Same with me: my left foot is half a size smaller than my right so I should go the mto or bespoke route since no store will sell me two different-sized shoes. Makes sense. But the extra charge just for making two regular shoes in slightly different sizes just seems ridiculous to me...
    I suspect EG have 'tried their hand', but I could be wrong. If they quote £955 they should say..."Top Drawer"...or, alternatively, regular leather at 'x' price. See what they say (if they reply, that is)!

12. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

The Galway is a boot, so if you deduct £100 for MTO and another £100 for the trees that sounds about right.

13. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

EG is in my dog house at present. Four e-mails went unanswerered during the recent winter sale. I sent repeated requests for the stock list, which in the past they sent out the day the sale started.

Nothing. Not a single response.

Really a crappy way to do business.

As for the G&G at Bespoke -the basic price is 670.00 pnds with trees(and shipping is free on MTO) and you are looking at about $1,100.00 price point. Excellent value

14. academe

academe Senior member

As for MTO C&J, why bother at their (up-charge) prices? Better of spending a bit more money and getting MTO G&G.

Agree with that! I think their MTO at £700 is for 'benchgrade' quality stuff - not Handgrade! Tricker's do the same thing at £475, but you can get MTO Tricker's from Shoehealer for £350. Tricker's would do you a fully bespoke shoe for £800, but I don't know if they'd use EG quality leather. I digress![/quote]

Are you sure about this? When you say "bespoke" they're measuring your foot and make your own last, etc.? I thought bespoke shoes run around £2600-3000?

15. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

EG is in my dog house at present. Four e-mails went unanswerered during the recent winter sale. I sent repeated requests for the stock list, which in the past they sent out the day the sale started.

Nothing. Not a single response.

Really a crappy way to do business.

As for the G&G at Bespoke -the basic price is 670.00 pnds with trees(and shipping is free on MTO) and you are looking at about $1,100.00 price point. Excellent value

They changed their sales approach. Check the Green Sales List thread.