• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green MTO e-store?

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
As Bespoke-England have gone down the Gaziano & Girling route; is there a similar site where to order made-to-order Edward Green shoes? I know of Skyvalet, but I would like an european based e-store.

Gherkins

Reaction score
+44 20 7839 0202
Ask for Valerie or Robert.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
+44 20 7839 0202
Ask for Valerie or Robert.

Ah yes thank you. I would however like an option where I could visualize my choices. I guess I could use Skyvalet for this purpose and phone in the order.

Noone else?

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues
Ah yes thank you. I would however like an option where I could visualize my choices. I guess I could use Skyvalet for this purpose and phone in the order.

Noone else?

I don't know of European e-Stores but you could try Leffot in NYC. With their MTO service, EG sends the unsoled shoes to Leffot for a trial fitting before they sole the shoes. This way if the width is off, it can be changed before the shoes are soled. Tom at LeatherSoul Hawaii also provides a MTO service. I don't think he does the "fitting" that Leffot does but he very thorough in determining the correct sizing.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KlezmerBlues

Noone else?

Valerie or Rober can send you a catalog and will be open to discussing options.

Unless you are very certain of the last that FITS, ask for their guidance. EG's are close fitting shoes and fantastically comfortable when they fit. I started with the 606 because it was standard and found that a D width fits better than their standard E. Additionally, my foot is narrow and shallow (top to bottom) and the 808 , ordered lace-upen, seems to fit me best.

There is hazard ordering shoes remotely but its better than doing nothing. be patient and solicit their advice. If you are going to buy, they will be courteous. If they think that you are just probing around, you'll get less attention so really decide on your intent before you call them.

Braised

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between D and E sizing? Is E equivivalent of American D? In the case UK D should be American C, right?
What is the sizing used for RLPL shoes? Stamped mark is D,is that UK E(Which is american D) or UK D?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As has been discussed in a recent thread, EG D = American D width. Another forum member confirmed this with EG (Hilary Freeman). RLPL shoes are marked D. This is not changed for the American market. It is not an EG E width shoe. It is an EG D. If you order a shoe directly from EG and the RLPL fits you, you would still order a D width. I find that the EG D width shoe is closest to an American D and the one shoe I had in EG E was too wide for me. I believe I read somewhere that English people tend to have wider feet than North Americans on average. Therefore in England, EG's E width maybe standard, but it would be considered wider than average here in the US. That's why all of the RLPL shoes are D width.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Valerie or Rober can send you a catalog and will be open to discussing options. Unless you are very certain of the last that FITS, ask for their guidance. EG's are close fitting shoes and fantastically comfortable when they fit. I started with the 606 because it was standard and found that a D width fits better than their standard E. Additionally, my foot is narrow and shallow (top to bottom) and the 808 , ordered lace-upen, seems to fit me best. There is hazard ordering shoes remotely but its better than doing nothing. be patient and solicit their advice. If you are going to buy, they will be courteous. If they think that you are just probing around, you'll get less attention so really decide on your intent before you call them. Braised
Can you explain, the ordered "lace open" part?

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Can you explain, the ordered "lace open" part?

In production, before the uppers get lasted (pulled over the last) they are "˜laced-up' with string, so the quarters (side pieces with the eyelets) stay in place once you start pulling from underneath. Usually they are laced up edge to edge (closing).

In a ready-to-wear shoe, if the instep of the last is higher then the instep of the patron, you can compensate by not closing the laces tightly, leaving a gap (laces open). (In a bespoke shoe the last gets altered.) So, with "˜laces-open' the instep of the finished shoe becomes shallower.

Here is a picture of a shoe factory in the 1950s, who (for whatever reason), worked with laces (extremely) open.

50sfactory.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As has been discussed in a recent thread, EG D = American D width. Another forum member confirmed this with EG (Hilary Freeman).

RLPL shoes are marked D. This is not changed for the American market. It is not an EG E width shoe. It is an EG D. If you order a shoe directly from EG and the RLPL fits you, you would still order a D width. I find that the EG D width shoe is closest to an American D and the one shoe I had in EG E was too wide for me.

+1 to all of the above. Iirc, josepidal had also gotten the same information re EG width fittings from Hilary Freeman. Those who are still skeptical are free to ask EG themselves.

I believe I read somewhere that English people tend to have wider feet than North Americans on average. Therefore in England, EG's E width maybe standard, but it would be considered wider than average here in the US. That's why all of the RLPL shoes are D width.

I've read that too, in a couple of places iirc. I guess that would explain why most English makers use E or F as their average/medium fitting and why I have to convert 1 full size to get a decent fit in E or F English width shoes while others just drop .5 from their US size.

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
In production, before the uppers get lasted (pulled over the last) they are "˜laced-up' with string, so the quarters (side pieces with the eyelets) stay in place once you start pulling from underneath. Usually they are laced up edge to edge (closing).

In a ready-to-wear shoe, if the instep of the last is higher then the instep of the patron, you can compensate by not closing the laces tightly, leaving a gap (laces open). (In a bespoke shoe the last gets altered.) So, with "˜laces-open' the instep of the finished shoe becomes shallower.

Here is a picture of a shoe factory in the 1950s, who (for whatever reason), worked with laces (extremely) open.

50sfactory.jpg

teacha.gif
worship.gif
Thanks bengal, now I know the correct term to use and what to ask for when my shoes are due for resoling/relasting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads