1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward green in seattle?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

Although I am originally from Seattle, I wasn't in a position to buy Edward Green shoes while growing up... I'll be there on business in mid-July. Can anyone recommend a place to buy E. Green shoes in the area?

Even full retail in Seattle should beat the prices in Tokyo.

Bic

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Unfortunately the closest place I know of for sure is in the SF Bay Area. You could try Mario's, however...www.marios.com.

3. Bic Pentameter

Thanks a lot, Steve B.

Bic

4. Mitch D

Mitch D Well-Known Member

I thought that Butch Blum might carry EGs,but I called them this afternoon,and was told that they don't. I suppose I'll have to head downtown to do some recon. [​IMG] Will check out Mario's and Nordstrom,and report back soon.

5. Bic Pentameter

Thanks a lot Mitch D. You are a prince.

I remember when the new Nordstorm openned downtown (1996?) and their shoe selection was trumpted....but I was a mere babe in the shoe woods back then and wouldn't have known an Edward Green from a Florsheim.

Bic

6. humrepair

humrepair Active Member

When I asked EG about their retailers in the U.S., they did not list any stores north of California in the western half of the country.

7. Mitch D

Well,I stopped by Nordstrom,Mario's,and Barney's New York this afternoon (I know: Tough job,but someone has to do it [​IMG] ) ,and none carries Edward Green. Mario's did have some nice shoes by Gravati,Sutor Mantellassi,and J.M. Weston though.

8. Bic Pentameter

Thanks very much for going to the trouble, Mich D.

I suppose the Shoe God are trying to tell me something. Pay Japanese retail....not.

Bic

9. Mitch D

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Nordstrom has EG shoes? [​IMG] Jon.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Bic- an Alaska Airlines or SW flight from Seattle to SF is pretty cheap. I'm guessing $150 or so round trip if you buy them now...It might be worth your while to visit Malouf's...

Nordstrom here in SF carries handmade Santonis. A Harris and I have been admiring them from afar because of the stratospheric price tag...

I picked up a pair of RLPL EG loafers at a Rack here a month or so ago, too. As they don't quite fit, you'll see them on E-Bay soon...

12. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

Steve,

So what is the price of the handmade Santoni's? It sure sounds like the SF Nordstrom is better than the ones in the Midwest. And I have never seen EG's at the rack. You are a lucky man.

-Andy

13. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Steve B.,

What is the size of the EG's?

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Andrew;

$1495, and they are really great-looking shoes, although the color's a bit red for my taste. The Nordstroms here in the Bay Area carry really good stuff- especially downtown SF. They also have Isaia, and do trunk shows. I did consider myself quite lucky on the loafer find- thanks.

John:

10/10.5E, RLPL model 28986 model, burnt pine. Slip stitched split toe- they're really nice, wish they fit me.

15. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Thanks Steve B. I wear a 7/7.5. Do you think I could stuff some newspaper in the toes and add tongue pads to take up the extra 4 inches of space?

16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

17. Bic Pentameter

Thanks again Mich D.

I was hoping to get the catalogue and order directly bargain hunt at Ebay once I had my size nailed down.  Also thinking about some way to make and confirm shoe/foot measurements--a shoe version of A. Harris' classic post on how to measure for E-bay.

I have ordered shoes sight unseen before...Aldens, Alfred Sargents, Crockett & Jones, and Grenson each with mixed result.  

I tried the Aldens on at a store first. I was resigned to paying retail for my first pair to confirm the fit, but they didn't have my size in stock. However, the experience taught me that the 8D was fine in length but a bit too narrow. I was able to order the 8/E via the Net later.

I ordered the Sargents without any recommendation and they were a bit big, but I have put an innersole in them and am quite happy.  

I sent an outline of my foot to Crockett and Jones and was given size recommendations.  I ordered 1/2 size up from that and the shoes are still a bit too tight.  (Thus my post on home shoe stretching.)

If I am going to pay a pretty penny/yen for a pair of shoes that will last a long time, I really want the best fit possible.  

Thanks again to all who were kind enough to respond.

Bic

18. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Nordstroms here in Houston started off reasonably well, with a number of the Santoni Goodyear models and some Ferragamo Tramezza models. They've since discontinued that and retreated into dreck. The only decent footwear that they carry are a few models of TO Stanley boots. Some people have all the luck. [​IMG]

19. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Nordstrom here locally has the following:

Suits: Top of the line at this Nordstrom is Abboud, the $625 version. Maybe a John W. Nordstrom at $495.

Shoes: 3 or 4 Allen Edmonds models. The rest are in the $90 range, most of which I have never heard of.

Ties: Top for them is Talbott Best of Class. Can't imagine how they can sell those if they can't sell a Hickey Freeman suit.

All in all I have to go out of state to buy anything. Would love to see some of the larger Nordstrom stores. Went to I believe the Scottsdale-area store and based on what I was used to, I was simply astounded at the selection.

I'm envious of those of you who are able to go to nice clothing stores if even for just looking.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

John:

Where are you located?

The Scottsdale Nordstrom is great- IMO one of their top 10. I'd be happy to post the 10 or so best Nordstroms around the country if anyone's interested.

The Rack there in Scottsdale is pretty good, too.