• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green Hide Study

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In honor of Sysdoc...Von Rothbart and I thought we could use another version of this, though it pales in comparison to the original. These are the eight of basic hides, missing are birch, bauxite and marine blue. I didn't think we needed to include black.

I will also post comparisons of EG suedes and country hides as well.

Left to Right

Maple (Southwold 888 last)
Acorn (Asprey Brouge 202 last)
Edwardian (Mackay 888 last)
Chestnut (Cadogan 202 last)
Burnt Pine (Grant 89 last)
Dark Oak (Alan Flusser Special Order 707 last)
Burgundy (Newbury 888 last)
Olive (Cardiff/Southwold special order 888 last)

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful, just wonderful, now we have most of EG colors in one picture. Beside Birch, what color are we missing?

Just a suggestion, you may want to switch position between Edwardian and Chestnut, so the the colors progress from light to dark as Chestnut is darker than Edwardian, at least to my eyes on my monitor.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Wonderful, just wonderful, now we have most of EG colors in one picture. Beside Birch, what color are we missing?

Just a suggestion, you may want to switch position between Edwardian and Chestnut, so the the colors progress from light to dark as Chestnut is darker than Edwardian, at least to my eyes on my monitor.

VR...Doh...I will make the shift. I'll aslo add burgundy and olive to the mix. Birch is the only color I think I'm lacking...Stay tuned.

Edit: Updated to also include burgundy and olive.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart

Burgundy, Bauxite, olive green, marine blue, oh yes, and black

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards

I think Andrew will need an 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio to fit them all in.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Medwards...Burgundy and olive have been added. Black would be no problem. Bauxite and marine blue (paging J. Cusey) are not currently represented in the collection, though.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And Hilary and I discussed a gray leather as well when she was in Washington earlier this month. By the way, while the colour would appear the same, EG uses two different versions of black calf depending on the shoe's punching.

Onward to those country calf hues...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And Hilary and I discussed a gray leather as well when she was in Washington earlier this month. By the way, while the colour would appear the same, EG uses two different versions of black calf depending on the shoe's punching.

Onward to those country calf hues...

I have a gray suede that EG called "panther" in a classic loafer that will be part of the suede study. As for the country group, I have willow oak, brandy willow, heather gorse, mahogany country calf and walnut country calf. I'm currently missing almond and rosewood country calves.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That monk strap shoe is a very, very handsome shoe. Lucky you are to have collected it.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
This would be the centerfold picture in a shoe Appreciation magazine.
smile.gif

NKT

Reaction score
Alright... I'm definitely going to have to get me a pair of burgundy or olive as my next EG purchase (hopefully they'll have some in my size at the next EG sale). Aportnoy, would you care to tell the model names of all of these listed? Thanks for the pr0n!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NKT
Alright... I'm definitely going to have to get me a pair of burgundy or olive as my next EG purchase (hopefully they'll have some in my size at the next EG sale). Aportnoy, would you care to tell the model names of all of these listed? Thanks for the pr0n!

NKT...I've update the initial posting to include model names and lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads