1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward green dover discounted?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by daytrader, Jun 17, 2004.

1. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, had another shoe question. Was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find the Edward Green Dover on 808 last with double leather soles discounted? $500-$650 range. I checked with A. Harris's discount shoe contact but he didn't have it in at the moment and wasn't sure when one might become available. Pictures of the shoe are below: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks in advance for any info or replies.

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

A few weeks ago the Ralph Lauren Purple Label version of this shoes was on sale for about that price. The only difference is that it would have been on the 89 last and possibly a slightly different shade of brown.

The ebay seller english-shoes can sometimes find specific models and sizes at steep discounts.

Edit: Just realized you already contacted english-shoes. Sorry have no further advice.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Forum participant Phil reported that that model on the 606 last in dark oak antique was marked down at the NYC Ralph Lauren store last month. I can't remember the price, but I think that it was in your range. Other than that, I know that the shoe is carried at Jay Kos, Saks in NYC, and George Bass in New Orleans. It may go on sale at one of those three places, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It is EG's signature model, after all.

4. jcusey

If memory serves, even though Ralph is enamored of the 89 last, those particular shoes were on the 606.

5. daytrader

Thanks Timeless. Yeah, he checked for me at the Burlington factory but they just had it on the 606 last I think. Thanks

6. daytrader

Thanks alot Jcsuey. Will have to give those places a call.

7. TimelessRider

Quite possible, my memory isn't what it used to be. [​IMG]

8. jcusey

I'd be interested to know if you manage to track one down. Every Dover that I've seen in stores (admittedly, not that many) has been on 606, and my understanding is the EG generally discourages stores from using 808. I was only able to get my pair on 808 by special ordering them.

9. daytrader

Interesting information Jcusey. I didn't know it was EG's signature shoe. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and go the special order route if I can't find a pair. I was going through a couple of older posts awhile back and correct me if I'm wrong but is there a store in Greenwich that special orders EG shoes for around $695 or something like that? Can't remember the name or if they take phone orders.

10. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

Richard's in Greenwich, CT or Mitchell's in Westport, CT have EGs. Better yet, if you know your size deal directly with the EG store in London.

Bite the bullet, the Dover is a wonderful shoe. I have pair in stag suede and years ago had a pair in black country cafe. Nothing is nicer then getting the shoe you want.

11. daytrader

Cool, Thanks JRH. Just shot an email over to Mitchell's and Richard's to find out what they charge. Would the EG store directly be alot more expensive?

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

I think you want to ask for Arlyne at Richard's. For most non-boot orders, price is $695.

13. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I did see the RLPL version of the Dover at the Madison Ave/72nd store last Saturday for $510. Quite beautiful looking. They had a number of other Green made models there for the same price, including a black monk strap. Hope this is helpful.

14. daytrader

That is helpful. Thanks. One other question. Do you know what the style of the RLPL Dover is called? I'm sure it's called something else.

15. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I think they were called the "Count", but don't hold me to it.

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Sale at Edward Green's Burlington Arcade shop begins next Thursday (24th June).

They might, or they might not, deal with telephone orders for sale stock.
    You can always try: +44 20 7499 6377.

(UK is 5 hours ahead of East coast time.)

17. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

In my experience, ordering from the EG store in London was slightly less (including base price, customs, and shipping)for a specila order, then if you ordered from a store (off the rack) in the USA. But I have not ordered from the EG store for about 1-1/2 years.

If the shoe you order is stock it will be less then if made-up specifically for you. EMail of call London and ask them. Do an exchange rate calculation, add about 8 to 10 % for customs, and about $40 to 50 for shipping.

18. daytrader

Good deal. Is the official color of those shoes "dark oak antique?"Thanks again everyone for the help. Much appreciated.

19. TimelessRider

bengal - Thanks for the tip. I was able to email them my size and receive a list of sale models available (not very many since I take an F width). They have a Dark Oak Yardley and a Burnt Pine Plymouth, both of which are very tempting. Tax free prices range from £247.00 to £264.00. I wonder if there'll be more discounts as the sale progresses.

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Although some 3 or 4 weeks into the sale most of the items still remaining are likely to be marked down further, I wouldn't risk it. If you like the style and want the shoes, I would get them now, particular as EG seems to offer you the pick of the crop before they hit the sales floor.

It might be different to take a gamble on something weird and wonderful like a pair of special order shoes in raspberry-pink, size 12 AAA. My guess is that in good old Europe, F fittings might sell out quite fast. (Definitely faster than the D fittings, I'm likely to look for.)