• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward green crocodile shoes vs. john lobb

Phil

Reaction score
Well, curiousity got the best of me and I contacted Edward Green and inquired about their croc shoes. I asked if they could price a pair of oxfords and a pair of boots for me. They priced the Chelsea's at 2200 euros (or is it pounds still?), tax free and referenced me to Tony G, at their bespoke service for a price on the Banbury boots in mocca croc. Any thoughts as to whether or not Lobb's might be a better way to go, or should I stick with EG? I know the Lobb perriers in dark brown croc have almost reached mythical status. Thanks.

Phil

Reaction score
The email that was sent back to me from EG had the price quoted with a symbol that looks like an L with a horizontal line through it. Which currency is that?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a symbol that looks like an L with a horizontal line through it. Â Which currency is that?
Do you mean that sign: £ ? That is Pound Sterling or GBP and with today's weak Dollar, it is almost 2 USD per GBP. I don't think there will be a great deal of difference between John Lobb and Edward Green RTW crocodile shoes (neither in quality nor in price). Is a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, a Mercedes or a BMW, a better car? It's a question of your personal choice

Phil

Reaction score
Thats the symbol yes. One more question gentlemen - do croc shoes require any special treatment, other than the typical shine and polish routine typical of calfskin shoes?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any thoughts as to whether or not Lobb's might be a better way to go, or should I stick with EG? I know the Lobb perriers in dark brown croc have almost reached mythical status. Thanks.
I think that the current price on crocodile Lobbs is around $4200, which is pretty close to £2200 ex VAT at the current exchange rate. I don't think that you're going to find many differences in quality of materials or construction between crocodile Lobbs and crocodile EGs. It comes down to the pattern you want made up. If you like the Perrier, you're going to have to go with Lobb because I don't think that EG has anything comparable (although EG's plain-toe blucher, the Windermere, would look pretty good in its own right). If you would like a great deal of control over the details of the finishing of the shoe, you'd be better-served with EG since Lobb tends to be rather inflexible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads