Edward Green colors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darkoak, Jun 17, 2005.

1. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Could the experts please describe what the EG colors "brandy" and "chestnut" look like, and where they stand in the EG color spectrum? Thanks

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't help you with brandy, but EG's chestnut antique is the prototypical British tan: it's a bit darker than what Americans tend to call tan with a substantial red component. Somewhat similar to A-E's chili or Alden's walnut.

3. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Thanks John. Is chestnut lighter than edwardian antique?

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

It is redder, and a touch darker.

5. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Thanks, T4phage.

A lot of the Japanese sites with pics are no longer there. For example, the Jun Kuwana site is now much smaller and only contains bespoke shoes. Where can we find somewhat comprehensive list and pics of EG shoes and colors?

6. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

The only places that I know that has a comprehensive list of colours would be your local EG stockists (since they would have the complete swatchbook). Even their newest catalogue is incomplete with regards to what EG can make. I would suggest you call/email them to send you a copy.

7. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I almost wanted to post that EG does not have a colour "Brandy", but a check in the catalogue revealed, they do, but only in willow grain calf. Willow is embossed leather, just like scotch grain, although in this case the pattern resembles the bark of a tree (a willow tree, I suppose, but I'm not well up on my botany). It's that type of a pattern no self-respecting Gladstone bag would have done without in the days before WW1. That's the willow calf in "Brandy", although I think it comes out too dark in this picture: [​IMG] In the spectrum of EG colours "Chestnut" and "Edwardian" are quite close together, with "Chestnut" being a bit darker. But as all the final colouring is applied to the finished shoes, results can vary from batch to batch. I have two pairs in "Chestnut", one being considerably lighter than the other one; even a touch lighter than another pair in "Edwardian". You'll find a number of EG shoes here: http://www.edjones1192.com/ Definitely more than on EG's own site.

9. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Here's a pair of RLPL shoes in Brandy: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I don't know if "Brandy" in RLPL correlates with another name in EG.

10. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I took a look at the EG swatchbook today. As bengal-stripe notes, brandy is a willow calf colouring. It is actually a bit more of a mid-brown than I would have imagined. I would have thought there would have been a tad more red or burgundy in it. Which brings us to bauxite, a reddish-hued brown that is in the swatchbook, but which I have yet to see in a finished shoe. I thought it quite a nice colour.

11. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Brandy Willow: [​IMG] Chestnut Antique: [​IMG] Edwardian Antique: [​IMG]

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

TimelessRider: You lucky sodding bastard.

medwards: there were a few bauxite shoes at the EG trunk show, forget which models.

13. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ahhhh, RJman, so many shoes; so little time.