• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green in Green Suede, Shanklin in 82 Last

Last edited:

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here knows if the Jermyn St store will have any sale for BF or Boxing Day? Might be heading to London next month but there's a trunk show in my city offering complimentary shoe trees right now... not sure if I should go for that or wait.

I've been eyeing for a black pair of Chelsea oxfords for a while. Thanks.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am breaking in a few 202 with D width. A few observations:

• The oxfords fit better than the derbys. Not obvious why that should be true, but the oxford quarters close with near bespoke-perfection. On the derbys, even while they are slowly loosening up, the top is a bit wider than the bottom. Sort of a shame, as I was toying with the idea of a black Dover TD. It would be sort of annoying to have something that expensive not fit perfectly. That may have to wait for bespoke-- either London or Warsaw.
  • The 202D toe is much "smarter" round, or almond-shaped, than the standard E width. Less of a problem for the Oxford, which can handle a sharper look. But overall, it loses some of the Cleverly-esque shape that I do like in the 202. Perhaps the whole shoe is Xmm narrower, rather than taking in Y% at each point, which would have left a rounder toe.
  • The best 82s fit me well, but can be too big in the softer, stretchier leathers. By contrast, 202D is about perfect, leaning to just a hair narrow. I very much like using a shoehorn to get into them. This is most obvious in the suede derby, for some reason. No idea why, but it is more reluctant than the London grain to lace up tight.
  • I ordered the shell Cardiff through Leffot-- that is probably waiting for me back in the US, although I can't be sure. They lost one pair due to quality issues, and I don't know how long it would take to make the replacement. Will see if shell closes better at the quarters.
  • Unless I get comfortable with the idea of having adjustments made to the derby patterns, I might end up using this option for oxfords only. A few good potential uses-- the Carnegie in patent, and maybe a black Asquith.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know the size, they're easy to order up without mto surcharge.

Unfortunately, the goal is to find my sizing before committing to a non-returnable pair. I find 606 to be a bit less forgiving in the toe than 202 and will likely stick with e width but add a full sock liner.

On another note, does anyone size down for 184? I have no experience with the last and curious if its made to accommodate a loafer fit in tts.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the goal is to find my sizing before committing to a non-returnable pair. I find 606 to be a bit less forgiving in the toe than 202 and will likely stick with e width but add a full sock liner.

On another note, does anyone size down for 184? I have no experience with the last and curious if its made to accommodate a loafer fit in tts.
I got a Dover on 202, Nevis on 606 and Piccadilly on 184 , all same size UK 10E and they all fit really well my US 10.5D feet.
IMO 184 is a perfect loafer last with enough space for my toes and a tight heel.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Killing it! Any other options for the zug in still trying to fill a mto slot...I have EG MTO block

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads