• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize that, but in that case couldn’t EG select only the their darker cordovan, presumably for a premium?

In this case, it sounds like EG is going to do a color adjustment themselves, but then why not do that with all pairs as you said Alden does?

What EG does (all companies actually) when they buy in bulk is they place the orders by color, size and/or grade. Horween doesn't sort them out by darker or lighter versions of the particular color selected.
Horween's responsibility is in fulfilling the order based on the grade and general color purchased.

The company purchasing the order adjusts them in-house. To what extent and how often that in-house color adjustment is done I couldn't say. I do know Alden touches up all their hides to make them as uniform and as similar to what the customer expects. This was told to me by an Alden salesman a few years ago.

Why EG doesn't always do that..... 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:

shoefan57

Reaction score
would you mind sharing pictures?
Brass tarnishes. Go to the hardware store and buy some brass polish.
Here you are, too hot to wear them, mate, but the photos should help you imagine wearing them better...

tempImage8Fgojk.png tempImagey7PMEc.png tempImageHWju9u.png

jazz11man1

Reaction score
Here you are, too hot to wear them, mate, but the photos should help you imagine wearing them better...

View attachment 1822635 View attachment 1822636 View attachment 1822637

Beautiful boots! I like the contrast of the clove suede and burgundy.

I went ahead and ordered the cognac cordovan+snuff suede. As I mentioned above, they said that they could match the way that they appear on the EG site since they have to make them for me. Now I just have to wait 12-14 weeks :-(

shoefan57

Reaction score
Beautiful boots! I like the contrast of the clove suede and burgundy.

I went ahead and ordered the cognac cordovan+snuff suede. As I mentioned above, they said that they could match the way that they appear on the EG site since they have to make them for me. Now I just have to wait 12-14 weeks :-(
I’m sure you’ll love the boots when they arrive - another excellent colour combo👍

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I for one appreciate the fact that EG doesn't do much with the cordovan. Sure, it will vary a it, but as long as left and right are the same shade, that's alright.

Less fussing around with the original leather is never a negative in my book. Keep it as original as it can be.
Opinions and tastes do vary in this regard, however.

Last edited:

jazz11man1

Reaction score
I for one appreciate the fact that EG doesn't do much with the cordovan. Sure, it will vary a bit, but as long as left and right are the same shade, that's alright.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I wasn’t aware that there could be that much variability.

Don’t get me wrong. The cognac pair posted earlier look great, but the seem quite a bit different from the ones on their site. It’s one thing if you are able to buy in person, but another if you are buying site unseen IMO.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@te0o Nice! Did you take your usual size? Or did you size down?
Thanks. It's actually half a size up compared to what I take in 82/606/915 - I find 184 is a shorter last so I need the extra length. Luckily it doesn't get too wide, unlike 202 where I have to go down a width.

tonicab

Reaction score
Anybody with Govan?
What is your opinion about Chelsea EG boots?
I like Govan with jeans. Is a good option?
Regards.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a quick question on the always-annoying topic of fit. Thinking about grabbing these loafers on 184 and just wondering what peoples experiences are on fit. I've only owned one EG loafer (since sold) and I don't recall the last. I'm a 9D TTS and most AE sizes. 8.5D Alden Barrie. I'm thinking 8.5 on 184 but was hoping for some opinions first.

EDIT - just found the EG fit guide and it looks like 8.5D is the way to go.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a quick question on the always-annoying topic of fit. Thinking about grabbing these loafers on 184 and just wondering what peoples experiences are on fit. I've only owned one EG loafer (since sold) and I don't recall the last. I'm a 9D TTS and most AE sizes. 8.5D Alden Barrie. I'm thinking 8.5 on 184 but was hoping for some opinions first.

EDIT - just found the EG fit guide and it looks like 8.5D is the way to go.
Yes, Definitely start there. If you have a high instep it may take some breaking in

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Definitely start there. If you have a high instep it may take some breaking in

Always appreciate the assist. I don't think I have a high instep but I think my only experience with an EG loafer was on 184. I started with a size 8, exchanged it for an 8.5 and while it was workable, it was still a tad uncomfortable across the vamp. I'm hopeful that with these being unlined that they will work a little better. We'll soon find out. Just pulled the trigger.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always appreciate the assist. I don't think I have a high instep but I think my only experience with an EG loafer was on 184. I started with a size 8, exchanged it for an 8.5 and while it was workable, it was still a tad uncomfortable across the vamp. I'm hopeful that with these being unlined that they will work a little better. We'll soon find out. Just pulled the trigger.
I would have gone 8.5 E not D if sight unseen. E in EG is supposed to correlate with D in US shoe sizing. 184 is narrow as f**k already and moving down to a D in 184 would crush one’s toes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads