• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone new to EG looking at the Chelsea - what last would work best for me? For reference, the Carmina Simpson last is too narrow and dainty on my more broad build while something like the AE Park Avenue (D width) is too round and soft. Based on that - I would imagine the 888 is more like the Simpson and 202 like the AE so 82 would be a nice last for me?

I would agree with @te0o on selecting the 82 over the 915, but under certain circumstances.
To my eye and in person, the 915 has a more pronounced almond toe. It looks dressier (flashier) than the 82.

Considering that, the 82 is both more classic and versatile in that it can be dressed up (not as much as the 915) but more importantly be dressed down (not that you are going to). The 82 has classic balance so if your suits, or specifically trousers, are standard cuts or larger the 82 is the better option.

If you use sharper trousers (ie skinny leg openings), I'd go the route of the 915. I'd probably go this route as well if I were primarily wearing sharper suits in general.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
If you wear D in AE do you need to go up to an E in EG? Also I would assume if I’m somewhere between 10.5 and 11 in AE I would be the 10.5-11 in EG?

Is there a reason EG does dual sizes on their shoes? I notice many pictures of them have the ranges on the insoles

I got sized and was told I would be an E- if such a thing existed.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cranleigh in extreme brown Zug. Fantastic leather and even better boots from Stefan.

DSC_0564.JPG
DSC_0558.JPG
DSC_0559.JPG

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Bit niche I know but has anyone had issues with weird marks/tarnishing randomly appearing on their trees? IMG_9373.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jazz11man1

Reaction score
You know plenty. I was quite disappointed when I pulled them out of the box. Added a coat of clear polish and now I’m fine and looking forward to getting them on feet.

Completely agree with @jischwar on wear. Definitely the last for me removes these from the denim rotation.

I reached out to EG. They said that there is a fair bit of variability in lighter colors like cognac (though cognac doesn’t seem light to me). Since they don’t have them in my size, they would have to make a pair and said that they could see about darkening them.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reached out to EG. They said that there is a fair bit of variability in lighter colors like cognac (though cognac doesn’t seem light to me). Since they don’t have them in my size, they would have to make a pair and said that they could see about darkening them.

That’s a bit of a specious position for a company with the reputation of EG. I have long ago stopped sweating imperfections in footwear but a ‘bit of variability’ is a bit of a stretch when comparing mine to the web image. The ironic thing is that my first choice was the Dark Oak/Mink version but I was seeing so much variation in that make that I called a last minute audible and went with shell. I’m fine with mine but for a company that rides itself on QC, this explanation seems like a stretch.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
That’s a bit of a specious position for a company with the reputation of EG. I have long ago stopped sweating imperfections in footwear but a ‘bit of variability’ is a bit of a stretch when comparing mine to the web image. The ironic thing is that my first choice was the Dark Oak/Mink version but I was seeing so much variation in that make that I called a last minute audible and went with shell. I’m fine with mine but for a company that rides itself on QC, this explanation seems like a stretch.

Yeah, I would agree with you, especially if it’s something that they have control over by being able to darken them. I had assumed that Horween controlled the color (though even then I would assume that they would then get only the darker hides).

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree with you, especially if it’s something that they have control over by being able to darken them. I had assumed that Horween controlled the color (though even then I would assume that they would then get only the darker hides).

Not that I'm sticking up for Horween, but I know a few folks over there. They dye the colors and while the recipe is steadfast the results are not.
This is due to a variety of factors, but no one batch is the same. Some lighter some darker. Cordovan carries with it an unofficial disclaimer of "results will vary".

Alden, for instance, does in house color adjustments to their Horween hides to make them as consistent to their Color 8 as possible. EG or CJ (other as well) do not really touch-up the colors nearly as much.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
Not that I'm sticking up for Horween, but I know a few folks over there. They dye the colors and while the recipe is steadfast the results are not.
This is due to a variety of factors, but no one batch is the same. Some lighter some darker. Cordovan carries with it an unofficial disclaimer of "results will vary".

Alden, for instance, does in house color adjustments to their Horween hides to make them as consistent to their Color 8 as possible. EG or CJ (other as well) do not really touch-up the colors nearly as much.

I didn’t realize that, but in that case couldn’t EG select only the their darker cordovan, presumably for a premium?

In this case, it sounds like EG is going to do a color adjustment themselves, but then why not do that with all pairs as you said Alden does?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads