• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these unlined or lined?

I'm kind of debating whether to get an unlined loafer from EG. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding sizing of unlined vs lined loafers on the 184 last? I'm usually a 7 E in all EG, should I stick with a 7 E in unlined Picca / Belgra or size down .5 and go with 6.5 E because it's "unlined?" Thanks y'all!

I only have the lined version of the Piccadilly but I will say, the suede pair I have wears much different to my dark oak ones. The suede feels super flexible and wears much like an unlined loafer whereas the dark oak has a good bit more heft to it. The fit is the same though.

tonicab

Reaction score
Are these unlined or lined?

I'm kind of debating whether to get an unlined loafer from EG. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding sizing of unlined vs lined loafers on the 184 last? I'm usually a 7 E in all EG, should I stick with a 7 E in unlined Picca / Belgra or size down .5 and go with 6.5 E because it's "unlined?" Thanks y'all!
Same size in my opinion.
I have 3 184 lined and 1 unlined and they are all 9UKE.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
I am ordering the cognac cordovan+snuff suede galways and was wondering what trousers I can wear with them and which ones I should avoid. How about denim?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically hang out in the Alden thread and the tastes in the EG zip code seem a little more refined than mine. Having said that I just brought the same boot. For me, it’s strictly a dress boot (I.e. slacks, suit sans tie). I would not feel comfortable with jeans but it would not surprise me if others did.

76F8BD9F-9F10-4F97-88F6-B5B9B56097BB.jpeg

Here’s a family shot of new additions over the summer. Really excited for boot season…….

3BA1B1CA-DB4F-4E52-BB9B-D440F906655C.jpeg

shoefan57

Reaction score
I am ordering the cognac cordovan+snuff suede galways and was wondering what trousers I can wear with them and which ones I should avoid. How about denim?
I have the same boot in burgundy cordovan/clove suede. I wear mine with smart jeans, smart needle cords and chinos/khakis. Occasionally with grey flannels too.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
I typically hang out in the Alden thread and the tastes in the EG zip code seem a little more refined than mine. Having said that I just brought the same boot. For me, it’s strictly a dress boot (I.e. slacks, suit sans tie). I would not feel comfortable with jeans but it would not surprise me if others did.

View attachment 1821987

Here’s a family shot of new additions over the summer. Really excited for boot season…….

View attachment 1821991
That’s a nice collection!

The color looks a lot different in these pics than on the EG site

Is that just lighting?

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice collection!

The color looks a lot different in these pics than on the EG site

Is that just lighting?

Thanks. Definitely not lighting. Shell in the web image has much more depth. I like it better but still am completely thrilled with mine.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely not lighting. Shell in the web image has much more depth. I like it better but still am completely thrilled with mine.

Interesting. I wouldn’t expect that much variability, but what do I know. :)

jazz11man1

Reaction score
I have the same boot in burgundy cordovan/clove suede. I wear mine with smart jeans, smart needle cords and chinos/khakis. Occasionally with grey flannels too.

That seems like a reasonable set of options. Would it be different for the dark oak + mink suede?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems like a reasonable set of options. Would it be different for the dark oak + mink suede?
Honestly I think the last really drives the trouser pairings here. Shell and suede are more casual than calf, but the 82 last is sleek which is why I'd opt for more formal trousers. I would not wear denim with mine and I don't with any 82 lasted boots, fwiw

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wouldn’t expect that much variability, but what do I know. :)

You know plenty. I was quite disappointed when I pulled them out of the box. Added a coat of clear polish and now I’m fine and looking forward to getting them on feet.

Completely agree with @jischwar on wear. Definitely the last for me removes these from the denim rotation.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
Honestly I think the last really drives the trouser pairings here. Shell and suede are more casual than calf, but the 82 last is sleek which is why I'd opt for more formal trousers. I would not wear denim with mine and I don't with any 82 lasted boots, fwiw

That makes sense. Maybe I should consider a different last.

jazz11man1

Reaction score
You know plenty. I was quite disappointed when I pulled them out of the box. Added a coat of clear polish and now I’m fine and looking forward to getting them on feet.

Completely agree with @jischwar on wear. Definitely the last for me removes these from the denim rotation.

I don’t blame you, particularly given the cost. Did you reach out to EG?

Maybe I’ll go for the dark oak and mink suede. Perhaps they are more consistent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics