• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Much thanks @jischwar. Always very helpful. I absolutely agree with your logic and kind of figured as much on the aging of the leather, given the quality of EG. As luck would have it, I just went to pull the trigger only to find that they are out of stock in my 8.5E size. Looks like Leffot has a very simily boot but with the rubber R1 sole, which I could absolutely live with but alas, as luck would have it, they are out of my size as well. I could not find any other retailers with that particular combination.

I'll reach out to EG to see when they may have another run. I can certainly wait to get what I want.

Edit - good grief. Yeah, I could absolutely end up with non-shells that age like that. Those pic's seal the deal!
If it’s a shoe/boot on the website EG via their London shop will make you a pair in your size for no additional charge.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the masses/experts from a neophyte on how EG leather (non-shell) ages. Background on my question for perspective. I am looking for a versatile dress boot (business casual) to replace a few pairs that I currently have. I have settled on a Galway as I love their variation with suede trunks. Because I'm generally a shell guy, I had landed on the cognac / snuff model and was ready to pull the trigger yesterday when fortuitously, these in dark oak and mint suede appeared in an ad in my browser. While a shell guy, I'm not so sure that I don't like the dark oak version a little more. But with shell, I am in the camp that well-cared for shell actually looks better as it ages. And that is the genesis of my question. With regular use (assuming we don't get another covid hit), will I be looking to transition the dark oak pair to casual because they look a little beat up or will I want to wear them more as they age (as I do with shell)?

I know it's subjective but appreciate any thoughts. Also, anyone have pictures of aged dark oaks, I would love to see them.

I should have pics of my old DOAKs lying around on this thread somewhere. They are older than @jischwar's pair, I believe, yet holding up and looking extremely well. You really can't go wrong with one of EG's staple colors, or any color from them, but I'd inquire about having whomever it is selling the pair to provide you pictures of the actual shoe (if it is already made that is).

I only bring this up because DOAKs do vary in color. I've seen the color in medium to darker brown upwards to almost a lighter medium brown. With Shell there is a variance as well, but doesn't necessarily vary like DOAKs do.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Shawnc I forgot to add that I also agree with you about waiting and purchasing the pair in the color you prefer. Nothing worse than to settle on a pair, regret the purchase, to then pick-up the pair you initially wanted. Waste of both time and money.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have pics of my old DOAKs lying around on this thread somewhere. They are older than @jischwar's pair, I believe, yet holding up and looking extremely well. You really can't go wrong with one of EG's staple colors, or any color from them, but I'd inquire about having whomever it is selling the pair to provide you pictures of the actual shoe (if it is already made that is).

I only bring this up because DOAKs do vary in color. I've seen the color in medium to darker brown upwards to almost a lighter medium brown. With Shell there is a variance as well, but doesn't necessarily vary like DOAKs do.
Good point. @Shawnc here are some newer pairs of the same DOAK color
20211109_161858.jpg
20220110_133144.jpg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Good to know. Thank you. The burgundy shell Cardiffs are tempting me.
They look great and they’ve been on the website for a long time therefore I think they’ll be pulled from the website soon. So if you are minded to buy a pair I wouldn’t leave it too long.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. @Shawnc here are some newer pairs of the same DOAK color
View attachment 1809360 View attachment 1809361

These are just so good.I’ll definitely try to get a sense of the shade but honestly, it’s the mixed materials that is a huge part of the allure for me. Gotta admit that after seeing these and other posts since I asked for assistance, I am both convinced that I’m making the right call and very excited about making the purchase.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Assume a rambling post but there is a point. I have decided to grab these dark oak / mint Galway's but as luck would have it, my size is not in stock. It was an exceptionally tough call as I absolutely love the cognac shell / snuff version. And they have my size in stock. I tried to remove price and availability from the equation and focus on which pair I truly like the most and again, it was not an easy call.

The point of the post is to ask if anyone is aware of a retailer that carries the dark oak version? Seems like a standard EG item so I was hoping that similar to Alden, I might be able to find my size elsewhere. Leffot has one that is close enough (different R2 sole) but again, not in my size.

EG will make one for me in 12-16 weeks which is not a hardship, but I wouldn't mind getting something sooner if possible. If they are anything like Alden I can likely take the high-end of the estimate and add 4. That puts me into Oct/Nov. Again, not a hardship, but if I can find one in stock, I'd grab it.

Much appreciated guys and I really appreciate all the assistance up to this point on this one.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Assume a rambling post but there is a point. I have decided to grab these dark oak / mint Galway's but as luck would have it, my size is not in stock. It was an exceptionally tough call as I absolutely love the cognac shell / snuff version. And they have my size in stock. I tried to remove price and availability from the equation and focus on which pair I truly like the most and again, it was not an easy call.

The point of the post is to ask if anyone is aware of a retailer that carries the dark oak version? Seems like a standard EG item so I was hoping that similar to Alden, I might be able to find my size elsewhere. Leffot has one that is close enough (different R2 sole) but again, not in my size.

EG will make one for me in 12-16 weeks which is not a hardship, but I wouldn't mind getting something sooner if possible. If they are anything like Alden I can likely take the high-end of the estimate and add 4. That puts me into Oct/Nov. Again, not a hardship, but if I can find one in stock, I'd grab it.

Much appreciated guys and I really appreciate all the assistance up to this point on this one.
List of all EG retailers. No other way but to get on websites/phones and check if anyone has it.

Don't add 4 weeks to the 10-12 week estimate though - in my very limited MTO experience, they are pretty good at staying within that time frame. More so if you give them a call every once in a while to check on progress. You just have to hope your boots don't end up being rejected by QC but the chances for that should be fairly slim.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny @Shawnc mentioned Alden and cordovan just now. I've had a Ravello cordovan itch this past week. Whilst I don't like the fit of EG loafers on my feet, I sure as hell love the look of the Harrow.

Would it be too much to ask for Alden to allow EG access to the Van last and Ravello Cordovan? Use said last and cordovan color to make me a pair of cordovan loafers with a natural edge.

Being that's highly unlikely to occur in the nearest future (or any future), guess that's money saved for something else. 😊

Edit:
For those wondering what in the world that would look like

Harrow
Screenshot_20220706-183951_Chrome.jpg

In this leather, same natural stitching (as in the picture), just a touch lighter sole edge color.
Screenshot_20220706-183701_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

garigo

Reaction score
Newly announced 303 last! Looking forward to seeing it in person, it might become the perfect Galway last.
For anyone interested, more pictures of the 303 through the links on the page now!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads