• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustaf

Reaction score
If you're doing an MTO, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to accommodate you even now.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m not doing an MTO though, at least not yet, as I have no clue what I want. Will sit this one out to see what comes along as regular models or GMTOs.

Thanks, hadn’t seen those! Is grey country calf common? Don’t think I have seen it. Looks pretty dark, almost black?

acessmokin

Reaction score
Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m not doing an MTO though, at least not yet, as I have no clue what I want. Will sit this one out to see what comes along as regular models or GMTOs.

Thanks, hadn’t seen those! Is grey country calf common? Don’t think I have seen it. Looks pretty dark, almost black?

not sure how common it is. Gentlemens footwear has one though

AgentGary

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to get y 'all's input on EGs. I never thought I'd get sucked into this shoe rabbit hole, but spend enough time on these forums, the deeper you get.

Where do y'all usually purchase EGs? I know my sizing, so is the EU route cheaper?
How much difference are there between the lasts 202, 606, etc?

DB2000

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
not sure how common it is. Gentlemens footwear has one though

I am a big fan of the khaki waxed sued but sadly (except for my wallet) not in my size.

1656895033961.png

shoefan57

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to get y 'all's input on EGs. I never thought I'd get sucked into this shoe rabbit hole, but spend enough time on these forums, the deeper you get.

Where do y'all usually purchase EGs? I know my sizing, so is the EU route cheaper?
How much difference are there between the lasts 202, 606, etc?
Don’t know about relative cost but the 202 last is the most generous along with the 72 last. After that it depends on your foot shape. So, I find the 606 last too short and narrow in my size but the 82 last a great fit. Many others would have the opposite experience. The 888 last is snug but IME a good fitting last. The 64 last is too short for me and the heel too loose but the above 72 last is perfect for me for country boots/shoes. Of the loafer lasts the 61 is most generous fit , the 184 last is least generous. I like the 100 loafer last too.
I have no experience of their other lasts.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the masses/experts from a neophyte on how EG leather (non-shell) ages. Background on my question for perspective. I am looking for a versatile dress boot (business casual) to replace a few pairs that I currently have. I have settled on a Galway as I love their variation with suede trunks. Because I'm generally a shell guy, I had landed on the cognac / snuff model and was ready to pull the trigger yesterday when fortuitously, these in dark oak and mint suede appeared in an ad in my browser. While a shell guy, I'm not so sure that I don't like the dark oak version a little more. But with shell, I am in the camp that well-cared for shell actually looks better as it ages. And that is the genesis of my question. With regular use (assuming we don't get another covid hit), will I be looking to transition the dark oak pair to casual because they look a little beat up or will I want to wear them more as they age (as I do with shell)?

I know it's subjective but appreciate any thoughts. Also, anyone have pictures of aged dark oaks, I would love to see them.

AgentGary

Reaction score
Don’t know about relative cost but the 202 last is the most generous along with the 72 last. After that it depends on your foot shape. So, I find the 606 last too short and narrow in my size but the 82 last a great fit. Many others would have the opposite experience. The 888 last is snug but IME a good fitting last. The 64 last is too short for me and the heel too loose but the above 72 last is perfect for me for country boots/shoes. Of the loafer lasts the 61 is most generous fit , the 184 last is least generous. I like the 100 loafer last too.
I have no experience of their other lasts.
Thanks for the breakdown! I do have a slightly wider width and narrow heel. Seems like 202 and 72 are safe bets for now until I try the others on in person.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the masses/experts from a neophyte on how EG leather (non-shell) ages. Background on my question for perspective. I am looking for a versatile dress boot (business casual) to replace a few pairs that I currently have. I have settled on a Galway as I love their variation with suede trunks. Because I'm generally a shell guy, I had landed on the cognac / snuff model and was ready to pull the trigger yesterday when fortuitously, these in dark oak and mint suede appeared in an ad in my browser. While a shell guy, I'm not so sure that I don't like the dark oak version a little more. But with shell, I am in the camp that well-cared for shell actually looks better as it ages. And that is the genesis of my question. With regular use (assuming we don't get another covid hit), will I be looking to transition the dark oak pair to casual because they look a little beat up or will I want to wear them more as they age (as I do with shell)?

I know it's subjective but appreciate any thoughts. Also, anyone have pictures of aged dark oaks, I would love to see them.
Don't have any experience with shell, but to me dark oak ages really handsomely. My most worn DOAK is on the Belgravia, which are nearly up for a resole. I've pampered it quite a lot in terms of shoe care but plenty of examples throughout the thread and across the internet of other pairs, with varying stages of wear/age.
IMG_4096.JPEG
IMG_3369.jpeg

P.S. Look at this one. From this article on EG's website.
1656942061623.png

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have any experience with shell, but to me dark oak ages really handsomely. My most worn DOAK is on the Belgravia, which are nearly up for a resole. I've pampered it quite a lot in terms of shoe care but plenty of examples throughout the thread and across the internet of other pairs, with varying stages of wear/age.
View attachment 1809254 View attachment 1809256

P.S. Look at this one. From this article on EG's website.
View attachment 1809257

This was really helpful and gave me precisely what I was looking for. Much appreciated, thanks! And oh yeah, yours have aged much better than the examples provided in the article. Nicely done.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawn - the EG skins are really wonderful. They are easily maintained with shoe creams. Since you don't have anything in smooth calf that'd be my vote. You won't be disappointed

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was really helpful and gave me precisely what I was looking for. Much appreciated, thanks! And oh yeah, yours have aged much better than the examples provided in the article. Nicely done.
These are my oldest pairs over 10 yrs and going 10 years and haven't seen any product in a few years

20220421_075243.jpg
20220421_075249.jpg
20220201_074228.jpg
20220201_074233.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks @jischwar. Always very helpful. I absolutely agree with your logic and kind of figured as much on the aging of the leather, given the quality of EG. As luck would have it, I just went to pull the trigger only to find that they are out of stock in my 8.5E size. Looks like Leffot has a very simily boot but with the rubber R1 sole, which I could absolutely live with but alas, as luck would have it, they are out of my size as well. I could not find any other retailers with that particular combination.

I'll reach out to EG to see when they may have another run. I can certainly wait to get what I want.

Edit - good grief. Yeah, I could absolutely end up with non-shells that age like that. Those pic's seal the deal!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks @jischwar. Always very helpful. I absolutely agree with your logic and kind of figured as much on the aging of the leather, given the quality of EG. As luck would have it, I just went to pull the trigger only to find that they are out of stock in my 8.5E size. Looks like Leffot has a very simily boot but with the rubber R1 sole, which I could absolutely live with but alas, as luck would have it, they are out of my size as well. I could not find any other retailers with that particular combination.

I'll reach out to EG to see when they may have another run. I can certainly wait to get what I want.

Edit - good grief. Yeah, I could absolutely end up with non-shells that age like that. Those pic's seal the deal!
Reach out to Gentlemen Footwear Cavour and Shoes of Stefan. They may be able to do a stock pull for no added cost

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads