• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked these up from Leffot's pre-owned collection. They are a bit different, but growing on me. View attachment 1796015

Very bold ghillies, but I think they are tasteful given the colour. Maybe the last is a bit strange for this look, as the soft square toe looks a bit out of place with the ghillies kinda? Not a lot, though. It's definitely a "statement" piece, though.

My only concern is they might be hard to match with your wardrobe on a consistent basis.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, good to know, thanks.

Looking at the EG website I see no Galways on 72. It’s mostly 82 and 64. What’s up with that?
I guess it's not what the people want 🤣🤣🤣. I love my 72 lasted Galways but I guess it definitely makes them more "rugged" so to speak

Gustaf

Reaction score
I guess it's not what the people want 🤣🤣🤣. I love my 72 lasted Galways but I guess it definitely makes them more "rugged" so to speak

Seems like just the right amount of rugged for me. I’d be ready to jump down the EG rabbit hole right now (for the right makeup), but alas, the 72 last is nowhere to be found in my size, or hardly in any size. That just makes me want it more… :eek:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like just the right amount of rugged for me. I’d be ready to jump down the EG rabbit hole right now (for the right makeup), but alas, the 72 last is nowhere to be found in my size, or hardly in any size. That just makes me want it more… :eek:
Stefan at Shoes of Stefan runs Galways on 72 last. Here you go a couple Zug ones as we speak

@steveyoo1983 Steve at Gentlemen Footwear has a couple as well

Gustaf

Reaction score
Stefan at Shoes of Stefan runs Galways on 72 last. Here you go a couple Zug ones as we speak

@steveyoo1983 Steve at Gentlemen Footwear has a couple as well

Thanks! Between this and the single malt running through my veins, I am struggling to channel whatever self preservation I have left. The extreme brown Zug looks fab. It is tempting, but I need to order a boot I can return for starters, as this would be my first pair of Galways (and EGs). Also, I would rather not wait until October. And, US retailers are out due to landed cost, unfortunately.

Again thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

SF enabling at its finest!

User888

Reaction score
Been doing some research but I could always use a bit more input. I'm looking at a pair of Chelsea's cap toe Oxfords in 82 last but I'm not sure about the size since I've never been fitted with EG. I'm a uk7.5 in many CJ lasts (ie 337, 325) and UK8 in most of Carminas lasts (rain, Óscar, inca, etc) which can be a bit puzzling...
I've read all sorts of tips in opposite directions for EG, how would you say it compares to these two makers in terms of size?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been doing some research but I could always use a bit more input. I'm looking at a pair of Chelsea's cap toe Oxfords in 82 last but I'm not sure about the size since I've never been fitted with EG. I'm a uk7.5 in many CJ lasts (ie 337, 325) and UK8 in most of Carminas lasts (rain, Óscar, inca, etc) which can be a bit puzzling...
I've read all sorts of tips in opposite directions for EG, how would you say it compares to these two makers in terms of size?
UK 8 Is the way for you. Based on your CJ shoe size that is.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FA004F17-48B7-41E8-B2E3-1E159C86FF43.jpeg

7F3C9717-AA38-424B-AFAD-4211BB48FCD6.jpeg

1st pair of Dovers for me.

Happy Saturday!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1797128
View attachment 1797129

1st pair of Dovers for me.

Happy Saturday!

First off, congrats. Wear them in good health.

I typically don't post pics, unless I'm comparing shoes, but since these are your first pair it's only right to take a picture of my first pair of Dovers (which I coincidentally was wearing today).

These bad boys have held up well in their old age (circa 2008-09). Prepare yourself for years of versatile, useful, and loyal service.

20220528_154207.jpg

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats. Wear them in good health.

I typically don't post pics, unless I'm comparing shoes, but since these are your first pair it's only right to take a picture of my first pair of Dovers (which I coincidentally was wearing today).

These bad boys have held up well in their old age (circa 2008-09). Prepare yourself for years of versatile, useful, and loyal service.

View attachment 1797216
How many times have you had your DOAK Dovers resoled?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads