• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's strange that nobody stocks it as a stock model; I was lucky enough to get one of Mehra's last ones. Maybe that's part of the appeal. I find GG's clicking on the Horween Hatch is a bit inconsistent. My pair has less than optimal creasing and I've seen similar on other pairs too.

Re Rosewood: if you look at the panels that didn't receive hand finishing (like overlapping pieces on a Galway), the underlying colour is very tan. Goes a long way to explaining why each pair seems to come out pretty different.
I have similar experience with my tan hatchgrain Thorpe. Nothing egregious but more than expected given the limited wear

I've been chatting with Dennis from the Hand, he mentioned he's thinking about stocking Thorpe in burgundy hatch ( i've asked if he meant Rioja). I've been thinking about doing a single MTO later this yr or early next yr. I have very specific configuration in mind (speedhooks, Ridgeway, highland grain) but will be keeping an eye on the Hand

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have similar experience with my tan hatchgrain Thorpe. Nothing egregious but more than expected given the limited wear

I've been chatting with Dennis from the Hand, he mentioned he's thinking about stocking Thorpe in burgundy hatch ( i've asked if he meant Rioja). I've been thinking about doing a single MTO later this yr or early next yr. I have very specific configuration in mind (speedhooks, Ridgeway, highland grain) but will be keeping an eye on the Hand
The tan pair that I had was solid, no issues. While I think the MH71 last works with denim, it is still sleeker boot than the Cranleigh on any last, imo (sorry adding my thoughts from previous posts to this one).

I like your proposed makeup. All eyelets are brutal with that boot (I made sure to get hooks on my pair from Mehra and got them added after the fact to my kudu pair)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's strange that nobody stocks it as a stock model; I was lucky enough to get one of Mehra's last ones. Maybe that's part of the appeal. I find GG's clicking on the Horween Hatch is a bit inconsistent. My pair has less than optimal creasing and I've seen similar on other pairs too.

Re Rosewood: if you look at the panels that didn't receive hand finishing (like overlapping pieces on a Galway), the underlying colour is very tan. Goes a long way to explaining why each pair seems to come out pretty different.

It's strange that nobody stocks it as a stock model; I was lucky enough to get one of Mehra's last ones. Maybe that's part of the appeal.

I wonder if that's intentional on the part of retailers to ensure orders and increase exclusivity. A salesperson can always state the "this pair will be handmade for you" sales pitch.
Although if it does arrive with regular inconsistencies, it would diminish its appeal. Saying that, it's my belief most folks are more forgiving towards boots than they are with dress shoes.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Through the years, I've come to realise I really dislike wearing pointy shoes. The EG 82 last is beautiful, but anything more becomes too much for me. It's a personal preference of course. From G&G I really like the gg06 shape. Mh71 is also good, but doesn't fit me very good.
I'm a fan of the classic last from StC too. I find the StC make quite rustique, and think they work best for derbies, chukkas and boots. Their Janus Calf Suede is fantastic for that.

Speaking of tastes, I prefer StCs suede chukkas over what they put out in smooth leather (not particularly a fan of them anyways). The suedes always look cool as hell. The 524 in a mink, chocolate, or snuff suede has got to be one of their icons.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Through the years, I've come to realise I really dislike wearing pointy shoes. The EG 82 last is beautiful, but anything more becomes too much for me. It's a personal preference of course. From G&G I really like the gg06 shape. Mh71 is also good, but doesn't fit me very good.
I'm a fan of the classic last from StC too. I find the StC make quite rustique, and think they work best for derbies, chukkas and boots. Their Janus Calf Suede is fantastic for that.

I used to be a big fan of 82, but have to come to realize when 202 fits me right it's perfect. Both in terms of fit and aesthetics. If I could back and redo my whiskey Galway, I'd pick 202 on ridgeway soles with flat welt over 82 and double leather. Since whiskey is a very casual color, I think that spec would've been perfect.

@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes forgot to mention SC when I called Thorpe the king. I've never tried SC, but aesthetically their split toe boots are at the same level as Thorpe and Galway. Fit is a worry for me, but plan on getting a pair one of these days.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a big fan of 82, but have to come to realize when 202 fits me right it's perfect. Both in terms of fit and aesthetics. If I could back and redo my whiskey Galway, I'd pick 202 on ridgeway soles with flat welt over 82 and double leather. Since whiskey is a very casual color, I think that spec would've been perfect.

@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes forgot to mention SC when I called Thorpe the king. I've never tried SC, but aesthetically their split toe boots are at the same level as Thorpe and Galway. Fit is a worry for me, but plan on getting a pair one of these days.

I prefer the Thorpe and Galway over the StC boots so I couldn't put up much of an argument ?. Chukkas however open up discussions.

Unfortunately, you are over in Atlanta. Were you in NY, you could have attended a trunk show to (at least) lock in your StC sizing.

Sutefan

Reaction score

I prefer 202 and 606 too. The balance is so good. That 202 galway sounds right up my alley. I'd go R1 with a thin leather midsole though, to get the same visual weight as a double leather.

82 is great in some makeups too, both Galway, Chelsea and Newmarket.

For my next Galway, I want to do a 606 ?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 202 and 606 too. The balance is so good. That 202 galway sounds right up my alley. I'd go R1 with a thin leather midsole though, to get the same visual weight as a double leather.

Ah, the elusive 606 Galway. My interest is peaked ;)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not on here to endorse StC or to proselytize EG users towards StC, but StCs are fantastic. ??

@George Red, @Sutefan, @jischwar, and myself (amongst others) are owners of several pairs. I'm not going to say once you go StC you never go back, but I will say that once you receive a proper fitting pair of StCs it is difficult not to desire a similar fit & feel across your other pairs.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not many examples of the 606 Galway floating about. Sounds like an exclusive to me.

Sutefan

Reaction score
Not on here to endorse StC or to proselytize EG users towards StC, but StCs are fantastic. ??

@George Red, @Sutefan, @jischwar, and myself (amongst others) are owners of several pairs. I'm not going to say once you go StC you never go back, but I will say that once you receive a proper fitting pair of StCs it is difficult not to desire a similar fit & feel across your other pairs.
I don't own any StC now ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads