• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
The shell Duke has the same split rather than seamless design on the apron so I am not sure it's a material difference (even though it is a material difference in the construction - lol).
The construction of the Duke apron is quite different though.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
That's true. The difference is more of a curiosity on the piccadilly.
I think it's an aesthetic choice. The apron on the Duke is a point of visual weight, it's a feature that draws the eye in. I would argue the apron on the Picadilly is meant to just subtlely add interest but not to draw attention due to the low profile and high stitch density.

I think this picture of next to some Foster and Son is illustrative

20220124_151257.jpg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's an aesthetic choice. The apron on the Duke is a point of visual weight, it's a feature that draws the eye in. I would argue the apron on the Picadilly is meant to just subtlely add interest but not to draw attention due to the low profile and high stitch density.

I think this picture of next to some Foster and Son is illustrative

View attachment 1742840
I think you're probably right about it being an aesthetic choice. But then again I don't get why they opted for the split apron on the smooth calf. Your crup pair looks so much cleaner and if anything, the calf versions should offer the smartest and by extension cleanest looks. Just thinking out loud here.

That Fosters shoe looks exquisite, it's such a shame we can't get these anymore. That welt is really quite trimmed. I'd love more detail and pictures of it if you have them - how would you say it stacks up against the EGs?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I think you're probably right about it being an aesthetic choice. But then again I don't get why they opted for the split apron on the smooth calf. Your crup pair looks so much cleaner and if anything, the calf versions should offer the smartest and by extension cleanest looks. Just thinking out loud here.

That Fosters shoe looks exquisite, it's such a shame we can't get these anymore. That welt is really quite trimmed. I'd love more detail and pictures of it if you have them - how would you say it stacks up against the EGs?
I think in some ways it is better in some ways not as good.

As you noticed the welt is trimmed tighter. They also hid the stitches like CJ does on their handgrade. Leather is flawless.

Waist is more shaped on the EG. The last has slightly more shape.

Which is better? I think I prefer the aesthetics if EG but only slightly. Then again the discussion is academic at this point.

ZRH1

Reaction score
re: Nightshade. Would it be an issue for those of you having both EG in Nightshade and Cordovan Burgundy to make a comparison shot? I am interested in the Nightshade, but in the past my "red" shoes have been used rarely, as I found them too bright and peculiar for what is becoming a more and more conservative wardrobe.

Thank you in advance

Sutefan

Reaction score
re: Nightshade. Would it be an issue for those of you having both EG in Nightshade and Cordovan Burgundy to make a comparison shot? I am interested in the Nightshade, but in the past my "red" shoes have been used rarely, as I found them too bright and peculiar for what is becoming a more and more conservative wardrobe.

Thank you in advance
I've seen this many times. It's dark. Closer to the color 8 cordovan you get through Alden than burgundy antique, for example. Definitely a dark purple.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alderley's such an underrated boot. I've only recently started to (re)appreciate it even though I've owned my burgundy utah pair for 2.5 years now.
Agreed, It’s a fantastic boot and like the 202 last as well with this pattern. At one point I remember your pair was listed on eBay and I was going to snag it :) haha but I was not fast enough!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads