• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind reply. If burnishing, can't it be removed with acetone? Just curious as I will just leave alone as suggested.

I would be very careful using acetone in this scenario. I dabble in vintage shoe restoration and also hand patina with dyes and such so I have experience using acetone. I think it's a really bad idea to try to address this spot by stripping it with acetone. There is a good chance that you will remove the top layer of the finish on the leather (ie. stripping it) unless you are exceedingly careful and even then it's possible. If that happens, in my opinion, the shoes won't look right unless you strip and refinish both shoes entirely. I'd be pretty reluctant to go down that path on a brand new pair of EGs.

I'd strongly recommend just wearing them and see how that mark evolves over some period of time. It may fade on it's own or just blend into the overall patina of the shoe. Don't use Renovateur anymore and use something like Bick4 instead, which doesn't have any solvents.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I would be very careful using acetone in this scenario. I dabble in vintage shoe restoration and also hand patina with dyes and such so I have experience using acetone. I think it's a really bad idea to try to address this spot by stripping it with acetone. There is a good chance that you will remove the top layer of the finish on the leather (ie. stripping it) unless you are exceedingly careful and even then it's possible. If that happens, in my opinion, the shoes won't look right unless you strip and refinish both shoes entirely. I'd be pretty reluctant to go down that path on a brand new pair of EGs.

I'd strongly recommend just wearing them and see how that mark evolves over some period of time. It may fade on it's own or just blend into the overall patina of the shoe. Don't use Renovateur anymore and use something like Bick4 instead, which doesn't have any solvents.

Well noted and will do as suggested. Besides Reno, I only have VSC. Does VSC have any solvents?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well noted and will do as suggested. Besides Reno, I only have VSC. Does VSC have any solvents?

If memory serves, it should have solvents. The only other option I can think of that does not contain solvents is Lexol Conditioner, although I have seen it darken leather.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Yah, I am not too sure about the VSC formulation but I've personally never found it to cause this type of issue whereas reports like yours with Renovateur aren't uncommon. VSC can be used for light cleaning and will give a shine as well - it is more of an all in one like Renovateur. I'd assume it has solvents.

I'd just pickup some Bick4, it's good stuff and just a straight conditioner with no cleaning or polishing agents.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I am not too sure about the VSC formulation but I've personally never found it to cause this type of issue whereas reports like yours with Renovateur aren't uncommon. VSC can be used for light cleaning and will give a shine as well - it is more of an all in one like Renovateur. I'd assume it has solvents.

I'd just pickup some Bick4, it's good stuff and just a straight conditioner with no cleaning or polishing agents.
+1 on the Bick 4 recommendation. Really awesome stuff given its price. I like to buy by the gallon and just refill my smaller 16oz bottle.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok to use Bick with shell? Found a gallon for $89. Sound about right?

I'd be mindful of using Bick with Shell. Not because anything negative will come of it, but more so because it dulls the leather. Probably mentioned this before with regards to general leather maintenance, but it applies more so to Cordovan. Brushing, water, and possibly a deer polish. bone is probably all you'd require to maintain it and keep it looking good. With brushing, extra brushing, and more brushing to keep it looking good. :-D

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Incidentally, if you wanted a different product (although more expensive) that saturates well, smells great, and is 100% biodegradable and non-toxic you should give the Pure Polish conditioner a shot.

This one:

A little goes a long way.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg

Storm and khaki waxed suede :cool:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, if you wanted a different product (although more expensive) that saturates well, smells great, and is 100% biodegradable and non-toxic you should give the Pure Polish conditioner a shot.

This one:

A little goes a long way.
+1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads