• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I find the volume just a touch too high in these compared to my other 202 lasted shoes/boots. Have to wear with thicker socks, which I feel like defeats the purpose of unlined boots
Are any of your other 202 lasted footwear in suede or utah? I find my Alderley and Rosewood CC galway fit very differently. The galway fits like a glove with medium weight socks while Alderley in utah requires thicker socks for a good fit. I've attributed the looser fit to the utah leather but could be completely wrong.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are any of your other 202 lasted footwear in suede or utah? I find my Alderley and Rosewood CC galway fit very differently. The galway fits like a glove with medium weight socks while Alderley in utah requires thicker socks for a good fit. I've attributed the looser fit to the utah leather but could be completely wrong.
I have a few data points, which all return different results haha.

Unlined Dover in Mink suede on 202E - fits great, thin socks work without problem
Dover in Utah on 202D - fits similar to Dover above, so odd right?
Halifax in Utah on 202E - think I've worn these with medium socks only since they are boots but no issues with excess vamp

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you have any photos of your 202D Dover?

Presumably the one above in DOAK is regular E width?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I find the volume just a touch too high in these compared to my other 202 lasted shoes/boots. Have to wear with thicker socks, which I feel like defeats the purpose of unlined boots
For unlined EGs do you think a half size down would make things better?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you have any photos of your 202D Dover?

Presumably the one above in DOAK is regular E width?
Here you go and yes DOAK is E and 606 last
20211112_151415.jpg
20211112_151418.jpg
20211112_151424.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For unlined EGs do you think a half size down would make things better?
It's only the Shanklin and only in the vamp. I think everything else (including ball width) would be too tight if I sized down a half size. I would try and "D" width in Shanklin next time though

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you go for the D width on 202 because of the suppleness of the Utah or simply because you find the lasts fit differently?
I bought them pre-owned and the seller noted that he thought they fit similarly to other "E" width shoes and I figured I'd have more room for error given the Utah leather

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought them pre-owned and the seller noted that he thought they fit similarly to other "E" width shoes and I figured I'd have more room for error given the Utah leather
I imagine the result was okay for you?

I'm still thinking about the DOAK Dover on 606D. Your Utah ones on 202D aren't making my decision easier, the shape looks great.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine the result was okay for you?

I'm still thinking about the DOAK Dover on 606D. Your Utah ones on 202D aren't making my decision easier, the shape looks great.
Oh yeah, the fit is great and similar to my other 202E pair. You may have missed my earlier post so here it is again. I've got a few on 202 and a few on 606 and you can't really go wrong either way.

Unlined Dover in Mink suede on 202E - fits great, thin socks work without problem
Halifax in Utah on 202E - think I've worn these with medium socks only since they are boots but no issues with excess vamp

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It's only the Shanklin and only in the vamp. I think everything else (including ball width) would be too tight if I sized down a half size. I would try and "D" width in Shanklin next time though

I know what you mean about the shanklin (even though I don't have another 202 frame of reference) but I'd be worried about losing the shape by sizing down a width. The shanklin is a really nice chukka but I'm invariably going through weird sock deliberations whenever I wear them. A thin dress sock feels a bit loose but if the sock is too thick I stress about stretching the shape. It's still worth it because they look good and are super comfortable.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
There are actually heel slipping at both A and B
I found the instep ok but there are some gaps at the lateral side of my feet.

I asked about the heel because I was hoping you experienced heel slippage in Area A. Since it is the whole heel, you can expect that issue to improve as the stiffener takes shape with your body heat. Saying that, if you experience slippage where your foot comes out that is problematic. So much so that, if you can slide your foot back and forth those are not the shoes for you.
The other query I had was concerning the gap in the topline. Ideally you want the topline to hug your foot, but since the instep seems to do that job that is good. Be aware that area will stretch a touch.

Like the rest of the responses suggested, a tongue pad should assist in this area (although the lateral gaps will remain) and the heel area. I'd be mindful of over usage as that can exacerbate the gaping issue. Again, regardless of tongue pads or insoles if your foot slides back and forth this pair does not fit.

Tutu

Reaction score
I asked about the heel because I was hoping you experienced heel slippage in Area A. Since it is the whole heel, you can expect that issue to improve as the stiffener takes shape with your body heat. Saying that, if you experience slippage where your foot comes out that is problematic. So much so that, if you can slide your foot back and forth those are not the shoes for you.
The other query I had was concerning the gap in the topline. Ideally you want the topline to hug your foot, but since the instep seems to do that job that is good. Be aware that area will stretch a touch.

Like the rest of the responses suggested, a tongue pad should assist in this area (although the lateral gaps will remain) and the heel area. I'd be mindful of over usage as that can exacerbate the gaping issue. Again, regardless of tongue pads or insoles if your foot slides back and forth this pair does not fit.

Thank you for the reply,
Actually I cannot slide front and backward with the belgravia, the only part is the heel slipping when I exaggerate the bending. For the shoe opening, it actually hold my feet quite well

Please would you mind checking the vamp volume for me? It seams the creases are horizontal and well placed.

Attachments

• 7E0EAD43-5492-4261-A77F-2DB69A1FDEAB.jpeg
    7E0EAD43-5492-4261-A77F-2DB69A1FDEAB.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 8835DC70-A0C1-45C9-BB3E-352CC35AE17D.jpeg
    8835DC70-A0C1-45C9-BB3E-352CC35AE17D.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 10286403-2BFE-4767-B29B-DD835259C575.jpeg
    10286403-2BFE-4767-B29B-DD835259C575.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 79
  • CA0E23E5-1BD9-4F89-8EDD-FE5BFEB3CE94.jpeg
    CA0E23E5-1BD9-4F89-8EDD-FE5BFEB3CE94.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 85

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply,
Actually I cannot slide front and backward with the belgravia, the only part is the heel slipping when I exaggerate the bending. For the shoe opening, it actually hold my feet quite well

Please would you mind checking the vamp volume for me? It seams the creases are horizontal and well placed.

That's good news actually. Sounds like the fit is stable. Based on what you described, the heel slippage should subside. Maybe not completely but very much improved.

On the last picture (where you show the side profile), the fit looks fine. The creasing looks normal to me. In fact, I would say your foot looks voluminous and should fill the vamp well thereby minimizing excessive creasing BUT you'd stretch the leather vertically. Is it snug in the vamp area?

These combination lasts do tend to fit funny at times. Sooo, your forefoot can fill up the shoe on the front half, while your ankle and heel may not necessarily fill the back end of the shoe.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply,

Speaking of the 137 vs 184 last comparison, the 184 is one of those lasts that doesn't work well for me. I find the vamp/toe of the last to be comfortable, but the heel isn't narrow enough for me. Comparatively speaking. the 137's heel and instep grips my ankle well without the toe being restrictive (but doesn't fit as well as the 184). In an ideal world, I would have the vamp/toe of the 184 but the back of 137's last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads