• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since everyone has been showing off their shoe storage, I thought that I'd join the party - custom built shelving, to keep the shoes away from the clothes by giving them their own separate closet. Not bad for a one bedroom Manhattan apartment.

IMG_6525.JPG
IMG_6526.JPG
IMG_6527.JPG

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love EG trees.. the knob is so easy to lift, the brass accents handsome and the snugness super satisfying when you apply or remove the tree. Just a lovely experience for a lovely brand. That said, probably overpriced. Good to buy up when on sale or from retailers that include them.

P.S. Hey Edward Green management: bring back lasted trees and include them with every shoe. You have a reputation to keep. And make sure all your stitched lines are straight as f*ck. We notice such things. And figure out how to work with zug. And take polls of what your customers are lusting for and make them for your site. And put more pics on inta. And do more interviews. And check your site for bugs. And fire retail reps who are asses. And figure out how to keep the color around the eyelets that move inward on rosewood cc galways. And make all your employees wear EG and dress sharp (sneakers in your plant is a NO). And open a B&M in NY, LA, Chicago and Boston (Atlanta?). You’re so close to slipping and so close to surpassing Lobb. Do IT

So true.

I like EG and I am willing to pay more for the shoes they make in comparison with let's say C&J handgrade although I cannot really find such a huge step in quality as I do in price. Designs and lasts are worth the premium for me.

But the fact that EG shoetrees are made out of that unpolished/unlacquered beechwood? for over 100 pounds when you had Carmina trees made out of lacquered trees for half the price makes me think if EG is not saving money in other parts of the shoe I cannot see.

Man, I use Carmina's shoetrees on my EG's because they are better not because they are cheaper!

It's like buying a Porsche and having it delivered with Fauvert tires.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So true.

I like EG and I am willing to pay more for the shoes they make in comparison with let's say C&J handgrade although I cannot really find such a huge step in quality as I do in price. Designs and lasts are worth the premium for me.

But the fact that EG shoetrees are made out of that unpolished/unlacquered beechwood? for over 100 pounds when you had Carmina trees made out of lacquered trees for half the price makes me think if EG is not saving money in other parts of the shoe I cannot see.

Man, I use Carmina's shoetrees on my EG's because they are better not because they are cheaper!

Fairly sure that most of the makers in Northampton use springline for trees. I use C&J trees in my EGs

Yes that is correct that Springline does supply the trees for most of the Northampton companies (possibly all). I typically purchase from whomever of those companies that have trees on sale. CJ, Cheaney, Grenson, etc etc.
From my experience, StC have possibly the best trees of any of the RTW companies. Though, you do pay for the privilege..

jimney

Reaction score
Yes that is correct that Springline does supply the trees for most of the Northampton companies (possibly all). I typically purchase from whomever of those companies that have trees on sale. CJ, Cheaney, Grenson, etc etc.
From my experience, StC have possibly the best trees of any of the RTW companies. Though, you do pay for the privilege..

Are the CJ (for example) trees shaped the same as the EG ones? The EG ones fit like a glove in my 202 Dovers and not sure I’d want to mess with that.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the CJ (for example) trees shaped the same as the EG ones? The EG ones fit like a glove in my 202 Dovers and not sure I’d want to mess with that.

Definitely not. The EG trees are lasted for their shoes. The CJs feel and kind of look the same and are an improvement over a standard generic tree, but will not fit as well as the lasted EG trees.

I have used EG trees in other shoe brands (when I've found them on sale) and they fit well. Just not as well as in their own shoes.

To be honest, as long as your tree straightens out that vamp you don't really need a lasted tree.

ckchan

Reaction score
I’m a long time lurker and follow EG lover- thought I’d share my newest Zug Cranleighs here, from none other than Stefan. Absolute fire make up and those who got them will be blown away..

Attachments

• 384F1E01-7C23-4380-844E-6EC087B211A1.jpeg
    384F1E01-7C23-4380-844E-6EC087B211A1.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 133
  • D2A68C8A-D2CC-4FFC-B81E-104EE1C5BEC0.jpeg
    D2A68C8A-D2CC-4FFC-B81E-104EE1C5BEC0.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 135

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Nope. But they fit well enough and better than generic trees. I find generic ones are generally a tad tall and narrow. That said, I don't think it's really consequential

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on suede color spray for Clove Suede Dovers? Can’t find the color match from Saphir and don’t know if Clove is an actual color block…

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on suede color spray for Clove Suede Dovers? Can’t find the color match from Saphir and don’t know if Clove is an actual color block…
I just use the neutral spray on all of my suede shoes. They would have to be pretty discoloured to require additional pigment.

DaAlSh

Reaction score
So true.

I prefer unvarnished trees, as I suspect it helps the shoes to dry out after wearing, though I do agree that EG trees are expensive for what you get, and I wish they would go back to making at least some other last shapes - I used to be able to buy separate trees for the old 88 last, and a similar shape would be useful today for all the square(r) shaped toes...

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone please let me know about the ageing properties of the Utah leather? My use is mostly all outdoors and I don't really do much heavy maintenance, save for the odd session of Saphir maybe every two or three months. I notice that the pair I do have tend to get small scratches but I was wondering if those just brush out easily.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone please let me know about the ageing properties of the Utah leather? My use is mostly all outdoors and I don't really do much heavy maintenance, save for the odd session of Saphir maybe every two or three months. I notice that the pair I do have tend to get small scratches but I was wondering if those just brush out easily.
I find it marks easily, but those marks brush out easily too - it’s quite a supple, waxy leather. I don’t tend to polish my pairs too often, just a quick brush before putting them away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads