• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interesting to see how all other shoe/boot sickos manage/store their shoes. I have them all in a shoe closet, but I do find that off-season shoes gather a bit of dust when unworn for extended periods of time.
I had this built when I renovated our closet this summer. It's a carousel but it only holds about 40 pairs
20210624_085333.jpg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this built when I renovated our closet this summer. It's a carousel but it only holds about 40 pairs
View attachment 1713580
That’s awesome! I actually had something similar done to my room. A kind of hybrid closet that stores all my shirts and knitwear as well as all non-boots. Mine doesn’t spin, though. I’m just a peasant.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
This is what happens when you overload your shelves...........:eek:
The noise of the collapse scared the **** out of my wife who was asleep. She was pissed.
View attachment 1713581

This happened to me a couple months ago!! Feel for you, man. We had a carpet cleaning service scheduled and, as I was loading some pairs from the floor onto my closet rack I remember thinking to myself... "gee, hope it's ok to have 3-4 boots stacked high per shelf!".... moments later... similar image. I've since made significant enhancements but was none too pleased.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interesting to see how all other shoe/boot sickos manage/store their shoes. I have them all in a shoe closet, but I do find that off-season shoes gather a bit of dust when unworn for extended periods of time.
View attachment 1713580
Amateur’s :lol:
FFCE6355-7EF2-4289-B655-FC13ABC6C044.jpeg

Honestly, it’s all because my wife is an actual saint. In my shoe room, three of the walls are like this.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a fascinating discussion and while I save my boxes, it is strictly for resale purposes. I store my off-season stuff in the cloth bags from the maker and have been rethinking the need to keep boxes.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I save and use all of my boxes. Really the only problematic ones are Alden since they suck and are annoyingly undersized. I find it a lot easier to see what I have since I made up large labels for each box. I also find that I can stack if I am using boxes --- although since the mishap described above I no longer stack since my new shelving setup is more along the lines of what @stephenaf2003 is doing (regrettably my collection has far fewer pairs and certainly fewer exceptional pairs).

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife said she didn't want to see my shoes anymore ?
? My wife just rolls her eyes when the mail man shows up with another obvious shoe box.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I save and use all of my boxes. Really the only problematic ones are Alden since they suck and are annoyingly undersized. I find it a lot easier to see what I have since I made up large labels for each box. I also find that I can stack if I am using boxes --- although since the mishap described above I no longer stack since my new shelving setup is more along the lines of what @stephenaf2003 is doing (regrettably my collection has far fewer pairs and certainly fewer exceptional pairs).
….uugh…Alden boxes are literally the worst in the business, it’s a disgrace and par for the course in terms of customer experience, from those knuckleheads.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
….uugh…Alden boxes are literally the worst in the business, it’s a disgrace and par for the course in terms of customer experience, from those knuckleheads.

Truth be told, I have nothing against Alden other than their boxes.

Actually that's a lie. The "rare" shell biz model is very annoying and the lack of MTO platform is also unfortunate. I do like the few pairs that I have though.

oh and I don't care for their shell coating either.

but other than that...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dunno - St. Crispin's shoe boxes appear to be made from old paper grocery bags and last about as long.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno - St. Crispin's shoe boxes appear to be made from old paper grocery bags and last about as long.
…it’s pick your poison, my Alden boxes are busted, misshapen, and taped from stuffing boots in. My StC boxes, taped in spots, have held up well because the boots fit in them. Since tape is a requirement for both, I prefer the box that the boots at least fit in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads