• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sutefan

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm tending towards the former. I think the latter would work better on a Balmoral.
The 202 on R2 sounds good to me. That being said, I recently had a crup on 82, and it blew me away. More formal though. For my personal style, 202 would fit me best.

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
I know there have been quite some 72 last questions on here recently and at the risk of sounding like a parrot I just wanted to sound off you guys and get some affirmation or otherwise on my decision. So I placed a preorder for a pair of Galways in the 72 last. I decided to go for these in a 9F since my foot is a bit on the wide end. My other pairs of EG are:

Newmarket 82 last - 9E -These are honestly sized too small. Length is alright on them but they are definitely too narrow and the instep is too low. As such I can only wear them with really thin socks, and even then if they're on my feet for a long time my foot gets numb when I take them off at the end of the day.

Dover - 202 and 606 last - 9.5E - These are a good fit. They're a little loose in the heel and a little narrow in the waist for me, but there is enough room in the toebox and the instep is good.

Piccadilly - 184 last - 9.5E - These are a good fit all around also. The instep is a little low for me but it's something that's broken in well over time unlike my Newmarkets.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there have been quite some 72 last questions on here recently and at the risk of sounding like a parrot I just wanted to sound off you guys and get some affirmation or otherwise on my decision. So I placed a preorder for a pair of Galways in the 72 last. I decided to go for these in a 9F since my foot is a bit on the wide end. My other pairs of EG are:

Newmarket 82 last - 9E -These are honestly sized too small. Length is alright on them but they are definitely too narrow and the instep is too low. As such I can only wear them with really thin socks, and even then if they're on my feet for a long time my foot gets numb when I take them off at the end of the day.

Dover - 202 and 606 last - 9.5E - These are a good fit. They're a little loose in the heel and a little narrow in the waist for me, but there is enough room in the toebox and the instep is good.

Piccadilly - 184 last - 9.5E - These are a good fit all around also. The instep is a little low for me but it's something that's broken in well over time unlike my Newmarkets.
Might be a little loose in the heel, but otherwise probably will work and nothing sock thickness can't fix. Zug?

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
Might be a little loose in the heel, but otherwise probably will work and nothing sock thickness can't fix. Zug?

Yep! It's the English Oak Zug GMTO Stefan had going earlier this month. I originally placed an order for a 9.5E but emailed Stefan last night asking him to change it to a 9F after hearing all the recommendations on this thread to size down for 72. I would have went with a 9E but I'm just a little too worried that would make them too narrow since I guess the width in the waist and such isn't all too different from the 82 and a 9E in the 82 is definitely too narrow!.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep! It's the English Oak Zug GMTO Stefan had going earlier this month. I originally placed an order for a 9.5E but emailed Stefan last night asking him to change it to a 9F after hearing all the recommendations on this thread to size down for 72. I would have went with a 9E but I'm just a little too worried that would make them too narrow since I guess the width in the waist and such isn't all too different from the 82 and a 9E in the 82 is definitely too narrow!.
That's a cool leather. I have the original Stefan Dover in it on the 32 last when he worked at Skomaker.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
The 202 on R2 sounds good to me. That being said, I recently had a crup on 82, and it blew me away. More formal though. For my personal style, 202 would fit me best.
Leaning towards that direction. Only have an unlined Dover on 202

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the chatter here lately. Lots of good ideas and shoe/boot talk. Would ya’ll be interested in putting together a StyleForum MTO for a Galway on the 72 last and on the R2 sole? We could talk to Stefan about it.

Now, if ya’ll are down, what should the rest of the boot look like? Just testing the field here.

Soixante

Reaction score
I like the chatter here lately. Lots of good ideas and shoe/boot talk. Would ya’ll be interested in putting together a StyleForum MTO for a Galway on the 72 last and on the R2 sole? We could talk to Stefan about it.

Now, if ya’ll are down, what should the rest of the boot look like? Just testing the field here.
I’ve been persuading Stefan lately to ask wether if EG wants to work with wild stuff like Deerskin Skoak runs on EB, and though it’s jokingly being said we have a crazy idea of doing Moose Galway sometimes (god knows EG will forbid this). Thought it’s align with this convo.

I’m all down for another 72’s as long as it isn’t D. Brown and I wholeheartly agree that 72’s and ridgeway is made for each other.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the leathers and colors of your four shoes? Very attractive collection.

From left to right:

Snuff suede
Rosewood CC
Burgundy Utah/Delapre
Bauxite antique/Clove suede

I also have a pair in Walnut CC/Mink suede on 64.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been persuading Stefan lately to ask wether if EG wants to work with wild stuff like Deerskin Skoak runs on EB, and though it’s jokingly being said we have a crazy idea of doing Moose Galway sometimes (god knows EG will forbid this). Thought it’s align with this convo.

I’m all down for another 72’s as long as it isn’t D. Brown and I wholeheartly agree that 72’s and ridgeway is made for each other.
Interesting that you guys like the Ridgeway over the R2. They’re the same thickness where it matters, but the R2 is just a flatter surface and easier to walk on for longer distances. I welcome all thoughts on this.

Soixante

Reaction score
Interesting that you guys like the Ridgeway over the R2. They’re the same thickness where it matters, but the R2 is just a flatter surface and easier to walk on for longer distances. I welcome all thoughts on this.
I walk stupidly long distances on daily basis and I have yet to find any issues with Ridgeways.

The thing with R2 and 72’s is that I’ve only seen it with Storm/Flat welt and I’m partial to Veldt.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walk stupidly long distances on daily basis and I have yet to find any issues with Ridgeways.

The thing with R2 and 72’s is that I’ve only seen it with Storm/Flat welt and I’m partial to Veldt.
I hear ya. I was thinking of a Galway on the casual 72 last, but with a more refined look. What about this:

- 72 last
- R2 (no storm welt)
- Edwardian antique calf OR camel suede.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads