• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My understanding is the opposite. That leather is actually more durable and can be popped back out if you dent it. If celastic or leather board crack or dent they’re done.

It’s usually an insole leather that is skived down very finely and paste is added - you’ll end up with it blending into the shoe better where with the celastic puff you can often see the line where the puff or heel stiffener starts and stops.
View attachment 1692962
photo from Toshihide Takai

Yes - uses celastic puffs on RTW yes. Fukuda has very good leathers, great attention to detail and beautiful lasts but the making is not too different process-wise from most of the other RTW HW guys. Machine stitched sole, celastic toe puffs.

Very interesting, thank you for the detailed reply. Who are the well known makers that are using leather toe puffs like this? I'm very curious if I have any and I'd like to check it out more closely if I do.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else disappointed with the Drake’s collab? I sure am.

It's very "Drake's" but pretty boring honestly. I still think I like the Banbury for a chukka model more than the Halifax.

I think @steveyoo1983 is getting a much more exciting Dover in at some point this fall FYI.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thank you for the detailed reply. Who are the well known makers that are using leather toe puffs like this? I'm very curious if I have any and I'd like to check it out more closely if I do.
On RTW I think Vass does (they definitely used to), I’d imagine Bemer Tradizione does, @jischwar mentioned Viberg. I think some of Meccariello’s use them but not most, some MTO makers you can get them at an upcharge. Somewhere @DWFII I think may have posted pictures in the shoemaking thread showing toes that are leather, leather board and plastic and the difference in appearance. Although I would imagine the skill and how a maker goes about the process would impact that as well - if someone say doesn’t skive the leather puffs down very far but that’s just a guess. In terms of durability and skill to do it though real leather is tops.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
On RTW I think Vass does (they definitely used to), I’d imagine Bemer Tradizione does, @jischwar mentioned Viberg. I think some of Meccariello’s use them but not most, some MTO makers you can get them at an upcharge. Somewhere @DWFII I think may have posted pictures in the shoemaking thread showing toes that are leather, leather board and plastic and the difference in appearance. Although I would imagine the skill and how a maker goes about the process would impact that as well - if someone say doesn’t skive the leather puffs down very far but that’s just a guess. In terms of durability and skill to do it though real leather is tops.

thx again for the insights here… don’t have any of those other than viberg and I think my pairs predate this change. Interesting nonetheless.

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
This is true. They do last forever. Kinda like herpes. Uncomfortable and permanent.

I think something might be wrong with me, because Dainite is probably my favorite sole. It just works great for every situation I need it to work in. Plus there are not many other people out there who can claim there shoes double as ice skates.

shoes83

Reaction score
Back in the day I had a pair of AEs resolved with Dainite and didn't love them either. Slippery and not the most comfortable (could feel the studs).

I'm actually thinking about a pair of boots with a rubber sole on sleeker side. Do you think R1/R2 is the answer? Or any other thoughts? Thanks!

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I had a pair of AEs resolved with Dainite and didn't love them either. Slippery and not the most comfortable (could feel the studs).

I'm actually thinking about a pair of boots with a rubber sole on sleeker side. Do you think R1/R2 is the answer? Or any other thoughts? Thanks!

Depends on the boot and the last but I can see a scenario where the R1 is great and can also see how an R1 over a leather midsole (is this the R2?) would be a better choice.

I would choose the latter over Dainite every time.

shoes83

Reaction score
I
Depends on the boot and the last but I can see a scenario where the R1 is great and can also see how an R1 over a leather midsole (is this the R2?) would be a better choice.

I would choose the latter over Dainite every time.
I understand R2 is the double sole version of R1, so rubber only. The decision between R1 or R2 would depend on the profile one wants, if slimmer/dressier or chunkier/“country”.

I might be wrong, but don’t think I see those options as frequently on retailers as RTW vs. Dainite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads