• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whitehall

Reaction score
Any advise on the most hardwearing Galway in relation to resistance to scratches or would be the least noticeable for scratches. I would be paranoid about scratching such an expensive boot. The country calf is like a tank but seems not to be a rtw version on the 82 last.
thanks in advance for any help.

I literally went hiking the coastal path in Dorset and Devon with a pair of doak/mink suede 82 Galway's with HAF sole. Trudging through beaches, scrambling over bluffs, plenty of mud and all sorts.

After drying up, a good brushing, and a fresh polish, they look as new. I'm immensely impressed by their resilience.

IMG_20210421_183319_617.jpg

mcaleb1

Reaction score
I literally went hiking the coastal path in Dorset and Devon with a pair of doak/mink suede 82 Galway's with HAF sole. Trudging through beaches, scrambling over bluffs, plenty of mud and all sorts.

After drying up, a good brushing, and a fresh polish, they look as new. I'm immensely impressed by their resilience.

View attachment 1688863
Yes I am thinking of going for the dark brown Utah Galway and not worry so much about resilience to life bumps and scratches. Your pair look great.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I am thinking of going for the dark brown Utah Galway and not worry so much about resilience to life bumps and scratches. Your pair look great.
I probably sound like a broken record by now but do you plan to have a shoe care routine for your shoes? Most bumps and scratches can be fixed by applying cream and wax polish when needed.

mcaleb1

Reaction score
I probably sound like a broken record by now but do you plan to have a shoe care routine for your shoes? Most bumps and scratches can be fixed by applying cream and wax polish when needed.
Yes I do plan to do have a routine and have some sapphire medaille d’Or products and other acroutrements which should be sufficient.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
High end footwear isn't like a scarf or a Woolen item where high end implies delicate.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advise on the most hardwearing Galway in relation to resistance to scratches or would be the least noticeable for scratches. I would be paranoid about scratching such an expensive boot. The country calf is like a tank but seems not to be a rtw version on the 82 last.
thanks in advance for any help.
Echoing others here: I've never babied my boots, no matter who makes them or what they're made out of. This past weekend I went treading through a muddy field while playing with my daughter and wearing my DOAK Galways. I let them dry, cleaned the mud/dirt off with a damp cloth, and shined them. They look new. Unless you plan on walking on magma, somewhere in Iceland, you'll be fine.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d echo what others have said - I’ve never babied my EG boots and they just need a bit of cream and a brush and they look new again.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Galway is essentially a country boot. Don’t abuse it, but at the same time it’s not delicate.

Obviously things like a Dainite sole, pebble grain leather and even a storm welt will make them more practical for rougher wear than, say, leather soles and Utah leather, but I still wouldn’t be concerned with having to baby them.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing others here: I've never babied my boots, no matter who makes them or what they're made out of. This past weekend I went treading through a muddy field while playing with my daughter and wearing my DOAK Galways. I let them dry, cleaned the mud/dirt off with a damp cloth, and shined them. They look new. Unless you plan on walking on magma, somewhere in Iceland, you'll be fine.

Just wanted to mention, having read a re-read a volcano book to my son approximately 1 million times over the past couple years, magma is molten rock located inside the Earth's crust while lava is what is outside Earth's crust flowing about in places like Iceland. So if you're wearing EG's in magma you're probably swimming in it and have larger problems. With lava, well, you still have problems.

:cool:

I mean no disrespect to @George Red, I just wanted to talk about volcanoes.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention, having read a re-read a volcano book to my son approximately 1 million times over the past couple years, magma is molten rock located inside the Earth's crust while lava is what is outside Earth's crust flowing about in places like Iceland. So if you're wearing EG's in magma you're probably swimming in it and have larger problems. With lava, well, you still have problems.

:cool:

I mean no disrespect to @George Red, I just wanted to talk about volcanoes.
Ok. Fair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads