• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zargoz

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first EG boots. Again, the decision is between Galway and Cranleigh - I'd really appreciate your opinion.

The boots need to be able to stand up to rain and wet weather and will be mainly used with jeans, chinos and less often with flannel trousers. I thought dark brown Utah uppers fit the bill above (with dark brown CC coming second in terms of versatility)

The issue is that my foot is very narrow - 82 is okay in standard E width, but anything in 202 would have to be D width.

So I was looking at the Galway in 82 and the Cranleigh in 202, both in dark brown Utah. My issue with the Galways was that the last shape looked way too smart. The Cranleighs in 202 were better in this regard, but there was too much volume - so these would have to be made in D width. Even still, I thought the 360 degree storm welt and the rounder 202 would help make them look a bit more casual.

Of course, I could MTO the Galways in 202 D but I think that they would still look fairly smart - at least in comparison with the Cranleighs - which is not the point here. And less important, but still - would have to pay extra for the MTO surcharge.

I was looking at the Galway in 64/72 but given these have even more volume than 202 - I'm uncertain if the fit will be as good, even in narrow width - and then again the split-toe/storm welt look of the Cranleigh might still work better with jeans/chinos.

Overall, I'm inclined to go for these - as i think they'd look the least dainty in 202 D.
View attachment 1671550

Do you think I'm making a mistake in my reasoning here? Also keen to hear your thoughts on the Utah - it was very supple and soft when I tried it but I don't have any practical experience with it.
I wear my rosewood CC, 202 Galways with slim(ish) jeans or chinos all the time and I don't think they look a bit "too smart". 82 last would be a different story.

I love both models. I have Galways on 202 and 72 and Cranleighs on 202 and 606. They are all textured leathers so lend themselves to casual wear with jeans and chinos.

My advice - get whichever one appeals to you more at the moment, and then get the other later!

ctofashion

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Dover’s and the size on the shoes says 9 / 9 1/2. It’s on the 606 last width E.

868A90D8-08AD-4DC8-AA3A-3C96BBA66070.jpeg

I was hoping to use this for sizing other pairs I wanted to order. Any ideas on what size it actually is?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of Dover’s and the size on the shoes says 9 / 9 1/2. It’s on the 606 last width E.

View attachment 1671783

I was hoping to use this for sizing other pairs I wanted to order. Any ideas on what size it actually is?
That's normal Edward Green size labeling. UK 9 / US9.5 "E" is their standard width

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1671783

Kind of going down a rabbi hole of different sizing standards by manufacturers but!

EG sizes run slightly smaller than other UK counterparts. Just know that the first number is UK sizing so a 9 and the second number is it’s US sizing, 9.5. The “E” is the width which in Edward Green case, is normal standard Equal to US “D” width.

ctofashion

Reaction score
Kind of going down a rabbi hole of different sizing standards by manufacturers but!

EG sizes run slightly smaller than other UK counterparts. Just know that the first number is UK sizing so a 9 and the second number is it’s US sizing, 9.5. The “E” is the width which in Edward Green case, is normal standard Equal to US “D” width.

thank you, it didn’t click for me that second number was US sizing. Makes sense.
A73B1F99-B188-4458-94CB-503BDAB080DB.jpeg
EBC4305D-F215-4982-8D1F-D83EC1A51D2E.jpeg

need to decide now whether they fit me or not ?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ctofashion

Reaction score
nice, but did you just randomly decide you wanted to purchase a 1600 dollar pair of shoes out of the blue without knowing anything about EG? if so, props to you.

I am not that brave, no.

i messaged them my size in a few other brands, they suggested 9UK and here we are.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first EG boots. Again, the decision is between Galway and Cranleigh - I'd really appreciate your opinion.

The boots need to be able to stand up to rain and wet weather and will be mainly used with jeans, chinos and less often with flannel trousers. I thought dark brown Utah uppers fit the bill above (with dark brown CC coming second in terms of versatility)

The issue is that my foot is very narrow - 82 is okay in standard E width, but anything in 202 would have to be D width.

So I was looking at the Galway in 82 and the Cranleigh in 202, both in dark brown Utah. My issue with the Galways was that the last shape looked way too smart. The Cranleighs in 202 were better in this regard, but there was too much volume - so these would have to be made in D width. Even still, I thought the 360 degree storm welt and the rounder 202 would help make them look a bit more casual.

Of course, I could MTO the Galways in 202 D but I think that they would still look fairly smart - at least in comparison with the Cranleighs - which is not the point here. And less important, but still - would have to pay extra for the MTO surcharge.

I was looking at the Galway in 64/72 but given these have even more volume than 202 - I'm uncertain if the fit will be as good, even in narrow width - and then again the split-toe/storm welt look of the Cranleigh might still work better with jeans/chinos.

Overall, I'm inclined to go for these - as i think they'd look the least dainty in 202 D.
View attachment 1671550

Do you think I'm making a mistake in my reasoning here? Also keen to hear your thoughts on the Utah - it was very supple and soft when I tried it but I don't have any practical experience with it.
Be advised: the Cranleigh fits a bit more roomy than the Galway, even though it's the same last/width.

downunderdoc

Reaction score
Has anyone attached a topy to the cemented loafers? Just grabbed a pair of Polperros off the Matchesfashion sale but I'm a bit concerned about their longevity...

Last edited:

Diego65

Reaction score
Has anyone attached a topy to the cemented loafers? Just grabbed a pair of Polperros off the Matchesfashion sale but I'm a bit concerned about their longevity...

I know the lady in the factory shop of EG here in Northampton that wears every day at the factory Polperro and has no issues, and she does not topy the soles; as a matter of fact, she beat up this loafer daily; I own a pair that I used all summer, regrettably, those shoes are in Spain now, but no complaints or issues I do not topy the soles and hold well already this shoes are almost 3 years old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads