• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share any fit pics of jeans with unlined dovers in suede? Trying to come up with some inspiration before pulling the trigger on some purchases. Thanks y'all

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Otter Suede Dovers with Selvedge...

Otter Suede.jpg

-Mike

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first EG boots. Again, the decision is between Galway and Cranleigh - I'd really appreciate your opinion.

The boots need to be able to stand up to rain and wet weather and will be mainly used with jeans, chinos and less often with flannel trousers. I thought dark brown Utah uppers fit the bill above (with dark brown CC coming second in terms of versatility)

The issue is that my foot is very narrow - 82 is okay in standard E width, but anything in 202 would have to be D width.

So I was looking at the Galway in 82 and the Cranleigh in 202, both in dark brown Utah. My issue with the Galways was that the last shape looked way too smart. The Cranleighs in 202 were better in this regard, but there was too much volume - so these would have to be made in D width. Even still, I thought the 360 degree storm welt and the rounder 202 would help make them look a bit more casual.

Of course, I could MTO the Galways in 202 D but I think that they would still look fairly smart - at least in comparison with the Cranleighs - which is not the point here. And less important, but still - would have to pay extra for the MTO surcharge.

I was looking at the Galway in 64/72 but given these have even more volume than 202 - I'm uncertain if the fit will be as good, even in narrow width - and then again the split-toe/storm welt look of the Cranleigh might still work better with jeans/chinos.

Overall, I'm inclined to go for these - as i think they'd look the least dainty in 202 D.
1632068224282.png

Do you think I'm making a mistake in my reasoning here? Also keen to hear your thoughts on the Utah - it was very supple and soft when I tried it but I don't have any practical experience with it.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first EG boots. Again, the decision is between Galway and Cranleigh - I'd really appreciate your opinion.

The boots need to be able to stand up to rain and wet weather and will be mainly used with jeans, chinos and less often with flannel trousers. I thought dark brown Utah uppers fit the bill above (with dark brown CC coming second in terms of versatility)

The issue is that my foot is very narrow - 82 is okay in standard E width, but anything in 202 would have to be D width.

So I was looking at the Galway in 82 and the Cranleigh in 202, both in dark brown Utah. My issue with the Galways was that the last shape looked way too smart. The Cranleighs in 202 were better in this regard, but there was too much volume - so these would have to be made in D width. Even still, I thought the 360 degree storm welt and the rounder 202 would help make them look a bit more casual.

Of course, I could MTO the Galways in 202 D but I think that they would still look fairly smart - at least in comparison with the Cranleighs - which is not the point here. And less important, but still - would have to pay extra for the MTO surcharge.

I was looking at the Galway in 64/72 but given these have even more volume than 202 - I'm uncertain if the fit will be as good, even in narrow width - and then again the split-toe/storm welt look of the Cranleigh might still work better with jeans/chinos.

Overall, I'm inclined to go for these - as i think they'd look the least dainty in 202 D.
View attachment 1671550

Do you think I'm making a mistake in my reasoning here? Also keen to hear your thoughts on the Utah - it was very supple and soft when I tried it but I don't have any practical experience with it.
Galways, for good reasons, are too ubiquitous (well at least on the well-off consumers' feet, and then the dozen or more copycats from other manufacturers). If you're not going for a formal look, I think the Cranleigh models look great, just a bit more rugged in my opinion. As for your narrow feet, is sizing down by half not a possibility for you?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1671550

Galways, for good reasons, are too ubiquitous (well at least on the well-off consumers' feet, and then the dozen or more copycats from other manufacturers). If you're not going for a formal look, I think the Cranleigh models look great, just a bit more rugged in my opinion. As for your narrow feet, is sizing down by half not a possibility for you?

This, though unless you live in NY, DC, Chicago, etc., I don't think you'll see many Galways on feet. I only own one pair and love them but for how you plan to wear them, the Cranleigh's seem the obvious choice.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing down on which last? Haven't had the chance to try on 64/72 but I did try 202 in D width in my usual size (6.5) on a pair of Berkeley. I thought they fit well enough - enough length to fit my toes and a snug fit across the vamp and instep.

This, though unless you live in NY, DC, Chicago, etc., I don't think you'll see many Galways on feet. I only own one pair and love them but for how you plan to wear them, the Cranleigh's seem the obvious choice.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I live in London, UK and to be honest, I have never seen EG Galways on anyone's feet apart from when visiting the Jermyn St store.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing down on which last? Haven't had the chance to try on 64/72 but I did try 202 in D width in my usual size (6.5) on a pair of Berkeley. I thought they fit well enough - enough length to fit my toes and a snug fit across the vamp and instep.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I live in London, UK and to be honest, I have never seen EG Galways on anyone's feet apart from when visiting the Jermyn St store.
Could you go 6 E UK in 202 for Cranleigh?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you go 6 E UK in 202 for Cranleigh?
I can try - it will certainly reduce the excess volume across the vamp but I think it might make them too short. This is how 6.5E looked on my feet:
1632071187346.png

The mink ones above were fine in terms of length but you can literally see the excess material on the vamp.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1671550

Only thing I'll add bc I agree with the other posters is that the 64 last doesn't have more instep or toe height volume vs 202. It has a wider toe box though

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can try - it will certainly reduce the excess volume across the vamp but I think it might make them too short. This is how 6.5E looked on my feet:
View attachment 1671565
The mink ones above were fine in terms of length but you can literally see the excess material on the vamp.
You could get a nice Saphir insole to fill up more volume. Would going D width make it a MTO and thus incur surcharge?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could get a nice Saphir insole to fill up more volume. Would going D width make it a MTO and thus incur surcharge?
As far as I’m aware, they can make any width at no extra charge. But I’m less concerned about that - I want a good fit while at the same time having a slightly casual / wider look when worn. Which is why I’m trying to steer away from the 82 Galways for example. (which are a very good fit btw). Not sure I’d achieve a very decent fit if I need to add insoles from the very start.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I’m aware, they can make any width at no extra charge. But I’m less concerned about that - I want a good fit while at the same time having a slightly casual / wider look when worn. Which is why I’m trying to steer away from the 82 Galways for example. (which are a very good fit btw). Not sure I’d achieve a very decent fit if I need to add insoles from the very start.
Cranleigh is a casual boot, full stop. If you do it in a dark suede or smooth leather you can wear it with heavier slacks probably. "D" width will reduce heel, instep and ball width. I have a Galway in 72, which is probably the best casual last for a Galway. The 202 Cranleigh in "D" width should get you exactly what you are after. Pick an upper that gives you versatility

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cranleigh is a casual boot, full stop. If you do it in a dark suede or smooth leather you can wear it with heavier slacks probably. "D" width will reduce heel, instep and ball width. I have a Galway in 72, which is probably the best casual last for a Galway. The 202 Cranleigh in "D" width should get you exactly what you are after. Pick an upper that gives you versatility
Thank you! I think this makes sense and also a very good point about the uppers. In my mind the dark brown Utah is such an option - the texture is casual while the muted, cold shade of brown allows combination with slightly more formal outfits. The latter point is something that the CC seems to lack IMO. I don’t own either yet so very happy to hear different suggestions.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I think this makes sense and also a very good point about the uppers. In my mind the dark brown Utah is such an option - the texture is casual while the muted, cold shade of brown allows combination with slightly more formal outfits. The latter point is something that the CC seems to lack IMO. I don’t own either yet so very happy to hear different suggestions.
I think Utah is a really good choice, I'd also suggest mink suede so take a look at that if suede is of interest to you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics