• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Yes, Anthony Cleverley. There used to be some heated debate about what degree of handwork went into the line and who actually manufactured the shoes as far as George Cleverley vs EG under label. Doesn’t make much difference to me personally. The shoes are nice and they feel good on my foot either way.
It's definitely EG. There's a few little percularities that are the same which no manufacturer would replicate for cleverly.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely EG. There's a few little percularities that are the same which no manufacturer would replicate for cleverly.
Out of interest, what would those peculiarities be? Never handled an AC in person so really curious.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Out of interest, what would those peculiarities be? Never handled an AC in person so really curious.
Screenshot_20210606-005319_eBay.jpg

The line on the heel which they use to help guide where to sand to. And the wheel marks in an arc right in front of the heel block

Then the fudging only only the outer edge rather than over the stitching and the fudging not running into the waist.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1620431
The line on the heel which they use to help guide where to sand to. And the wheel marks in an arc right in front of the heel block

Then the fudging only only the outer edge rather than over the stitching and the fudging not running into the waist.
Yep, makes sense. The waist bevel also looks familiar.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Anthony Cleverley. There used to be some heated debate about what degree of handwork went into the line and who actually manufactured the shoes as far as George Cleverley vs EG under label. Doesn’t make much difference to me personally. The shoes are nice and they feel good on my foot either way.
I found the Anthony Cleverley shoes lighter than Edward green in a good way. It’s hard to describe - definitely prefer them over Edward green. But they’re both nice. I’m still believe they are NOT made by Edward green. That’s neither a good nor a bad thing - imo, they’re nicer. But, others are free to disagree.

puffy

Reaction score
Australian buyers: what's roughly the total % of declared value customs and handling add up to over the $1000 exempt amount?
Around 15% (10% GST + 5% handling and other nonsense)?
So declared value x 15% = total price.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Australian buyers: what's roughly the total % of declared value customs and handling add up to over the $1000 exempt amount?
Around 15% (10% GST + 5% handling and other nonsense)?
So declared value x 15% = total price.

From my experience, if product is $1000, be prepared to pay about 200-300 dollars in ransom money

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Thanks - yes 15% duty + GST + handling. Silly isn't it
It's 5 for duty and 10 for GST though I think that's multiplicative rather than additive. Plus a flat handling fee levied by the government, a handling fee by DHL or whichever broker which are about 90 and 60 dollars respectively.

Whitehall

Reaction score
I found the Anthony Cleverley shoes lighter than Edward green in a good way. It’s hard to describe - definitely prefer them over Edward green. But they’re both nice. I’m still believe they are NOT made by Edward green. That’s neither a good nor a bad thing - imo, they’re nicer. But, others are free to disagree.

They are nicer - similar to EG Top Drawer, but they're 110% made by EG. I've literally seen them in the factory.

puffy

Reaction score
Rosewood CC vs Redwood Antique.

Anyone here who has both? Trying to decide on the colour for my Dovers....

JustPullHarder

Reaction score

Pie crust is less pronounced on grained. But cc makes for a better casual shoe. I think that's the decision at hand

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear my redwood antique Dovers all the time in the spring through early fall. They pair perfectly with cream, tan, and lighter gray trousers for example. Rosewood would be an excellent casual shoe. Depending on the sole, it can look a little heavy to me for the high summer down here in the Southeast. I put my Walnut CC Dovers away in the summer for example (but, admittedly, that's also to make room for summer shoes).

That being said, the correct answer is to get both.

If you must choose, think about what you wear. If it's leans toward more casual fits, go with the rosewood. If you're wearing a sportcoat, tie, and lighter colored trousers everyday, redwood is the obvious choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads