• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silverstone from SpooPoker. These are my only pair of chukkas, and will probably see a lot of time in my rotation once I retun to the office.

These may be my best fitting pair of EG

DSC_1037.JPG
DSC_1038.JPG

Last edited:

Usonian

Reaction score
Here you go. You can really feel it when you run your fingers across.

And thanks to all who replied. Yes it’s not really an issue but would it be considered normal or somewhat unrefined at this level? I’m not suggesting the Crocketts are better shoes but their nails are completely flush or slightly recessed...

I am by no means an expert since the only pairs of EG I own were bought used for a ludicrously, irresponsibly cheap price, so someone else feel free to tell me how wrong I am. But I feel like you could just put in shoe trees and hammer away at those and you'd be all set? Or they'll just work themselves out over the course of a couple of wears. Like it may have been an oversight on the finishing line, but I don't think that's something that could make them qualify as seconds or anything like that.

CWL317

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert since the only pairs of EG I own were bought used for a ludicrously, irresponsibly cheap price, so someone else feel free to tell me how wrong I am. But I feel like you could just put in shoe trees and hammer away at those and you'd be all set? Or they'll just work themselves out over the course of a couple of wears. Like it may have been an oversight on the finishing line, but I don't think that's something that could make them qualify as seconds or anything like that.
Thanks - I think they are beautifully made and I love them - yes it doesn’t really bother me, I just wondered when I noticed the slight scratchiness. But having thought about it, I’m thinking it might not have been a factory issue... I think it might actually be due to me wearing them indoors to break them in, and so this slightly compresses the leather heel stack but obviously the nails don’t wear down so resulting in them protruding slightly ? And I’m sure that once I start wearing them outside on hard ground, they will wear down to the same level... so I’d better do that soon.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they come heavily burnished like that or was that your doing?
This is how they came. If anything I may have removed some of the burnishing when I applied saphir neutral cream, I could see dark residue on the polishing cloth. Due to the old EG logo/stamp on the insoles, I believe this pair came from really old inventory. I have a pair of suede west minster from Axel's from 2014/15 with current logo, so I'm guessing these silverstones are older.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks - I think they are beautifully made and I love them - yes it doesn’t really bother me, I just wondered when I noticed the slight scratchiness. But having thought about it, I’m thinking it might not have been a factory issue... I think it might actually be due to me wearing them indoors to break them in, and so this slightly compresses the leather heel stack but obviously the nails don’t wear down so resulting in them protruding slightly ? And I’m sure that once I start wearing them outside on hard ground, they will wear down to the same level... so I’d better do that soon.

Nah, no way that would be caused by indoor fitting. I'd give em a whack with a hammer if worried about hardwood floors, etc. Otherwise the nails will wear down quickly outside if you prefer not to mess with them.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsolicited advice i know and not sure how @Nickd sizes, but I think the 72 last is EG's biggest last. I take it 0.5 sizes down from everything else

Good point. I’m TTS on these, but only wear them with thick socks. I could probably size down a half size if I only wore them with dress socks.

Ken1036

Reaction score
Sandringham.
202 last. Mole suede. Tapered rubber soles.

Pictures do NOT do it justice. It's a shade or two darker and browner than these images show, and way more beautiful. These are now my favorite casual shoes. Pure beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 98

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased this pair of Shannon very recently and am curious which shop carried this make-up. These are on 82D last unlike the stock Shannon on 202E. Additionally, this pair is on double leather soles unlike the stock model on single leather. My guess is either Axel's or Khaki's commissioned this make-up. As far as I'm aware, these are the only two retailers in the US to offer D-width AND shoe trees as standard

DSC_1031.JPG
DSC_1034.JPG

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased this pair of Shannon very recently and am curious which shop carried this make-up. These are on 82D last unlike the stock Shannon on 202E. Additionally, this pair is on double leather soles unlike the stock model on single leather. My guess is either Axel's or Khaki's commissioned this make-up. As far as I'm aware, these are the only two retailers in the US to offer D-width AND shoe trees as standard

View attachment 1571391 View attachment 1571392
Wow, what a score!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics