• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only saying it because I used to wear the wrong size for years and I never realized or no one told me, and I see a similar pattern here. They need to fit more like this, and I'm confident you can achieve this with RTW, it's just a matter of experimenting with sizes.
Try having feet two different sizes ?

Fit will always be a compromise unless I buy shoes in two different sizes!

smuj

Reaction score
Those were rosewood country calf and they lightened up significantly. However they were not nearly as burnished as the pairs EG was producing about 2-3 years ago. A few years ago, Galways were super-duper burnished the way you describe, and I agree it was wayyyy too much. I've been in the process of getting a new pair from EG, and the new ones are back to normal light burnishing that adds rather than detracts.

I'm currently in the process of a return of a problem pair of these to EG. I had a new pair, great sizing, for about a month, and the welt on both boots has been coming apart. The welts became sponge-like and started separating severely and roughly from the midsole (on one pair you can see clear through to the stitching). Of course, EG (and Therake.com) customer support is fantastic, and they're arranging to take them back for a replacement pair. Hopefully the replacement pair is more perfect.
Your picture inspired me to buy some. But...
No size 9 in stock for Rosewood 64! Looked elsewhere but no luck. Found some in Europe but the new VAT rules kill that. EG is quite expensive enough already thank you.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your picture inspired me to buy some. But...
No size 9 in stock for Rosewood 64! Looked elsewhere but no luck. Found some in Europe but the new VAT rules kill that. EG is quite expensive enough already thank you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the total price be effectively the same for you? You'll get the ex-VAT price (like I get in the USA) up-front and then pay the VAT afterward, in the end equalling the same price you'd pay total in the UK. Is there, post-Brexit, an additional fee on top of that?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got one pair of EG's. Lucky for me it's these........

20210305_084535.jpg

Strange, I've got some really great Alden & Viberg shells in some really rare colors. None feel as good on my feet or draw more unsolicited compliments than these.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got one pair of EG's. Lucky for me it's these........

View attachment 1567987

Strange, I've got some really great Alden & Viberg shells in some really rare colors. None feel as good on my feet or draw more unsolicited compliments than these.

Awesome boots Shawn! If I'd lived in a colder part of the country, I'd get a pair as well. Love this combo of london grain and mink suede.

I'm a big fan of Alden, Crockett, Carmina, Bonafe etc and honestly find it very difficult to rate one maker higher than another. But as far as pure aesthetecis are concerned, EG and G&G are untouchable (within my own collecton). They also fit perfectly out of the box for my very standard US 9D feet.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks @flylikeneagle. 10 years ago a pair of high-end footwear for me were my $150 Cole Haans. Stumbled across a pair of Alden shells and was hooked. They're like a drug and like many newbies I was all in. Looking back, I wish I took things a little slower and investigated other makers. Because my tastes lean toward shell, and I still think they do shell better than anyone (IMO), they will always have a dominant position in my rotation. But I definitely wish I had more balance, specifically with EG as these things are just amazing. I'm on the hunt for a Dover (like duh, who isn't) and would prefer a pre-owned pair as I am trying really really really hard to slow my roll on shoes. But even with that, a suede Dover would complete my rotation.......at least for now :cool: .

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much thanks @flylikeneagle. 10 years ago a pair of high-end footwear for me were my $150 Cole Haans. Stumbled across a pair of Alden shells and was hooked. They're like a drug and like many newbies I was all in. Looking back, I wish I took things a little slower and investigated other makers. Because my tastes lean toward shell, and I still think they do shell better than anyone (IMO), they will always have a dominant position in my rotation. But I definitely wish I had more balance, specifically with EG as these things are just amazing. I'm on the hunt for a Dover (like duh, who isn't) and would prefer a pre-owned pair as I am trying really really really hard to slow my roll on shoes. But even with that, a suede Dover would complete my rotation.......at least for now :cool: .

Do you know your 606 last size? There is a brown london grain dover in 8.5E in excellent condition on ebay. Price seems reasonable too

Interestingly enough my shoe addiction also started with Alden. Bought my first pair of Alden shell boots (TSM seconds) in April 2017, and that really got me hooked (the shoe Appreciation on the Alden thread didn't help either!)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Do you know what your 606 last size? There is a brown london grain in dover 8.5E in excellent condition on ebay. Price seems reasonable too

Interestingly enough my shoe addiction also started with Alden. Bought my first pair of Alden shell boots (TSM seconds) in April 2017, and that really got me hooked (the shoe Appreciation on the Alden thread didn't help either!)

If only those were a 9.5E.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only those were a 9.5E.
They are my size but luckily shoes, even the iconic Dover, don't inspire in me the same level of excitement that boots do.

I realize I am an exception in this regard. I bought a pair of deeply discounted BNIB DOAK dovers a couple of years back. After a year of letting them sit in my closet, I tentatively listed them on ebay at a price that I felt was high for a pair that showed signs of handling and shop wear. I set the price (seemingly) high as I wasn't 100% sure I was ready to sell. Got a ton of inquiries right away and to my surprise it sold at my Buy it Now price within a day.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know your 606 last size? There is a brown london grain dover in 8.5E in excellent condition on ebay. Price seems reasonable too

Oh man, those are perfect. I don't know my 606 size but I have a hunch these may be a half size too large. I'm definitely going to do some research, starting with you. You and I are the same size, would these fit you?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, those are perfect. I don't know my 606 size but I have a hunch these may be a half size too large. I'm definitely going to do some research, starting with you. You and I are the same size, would these fit you?

Yes these fit me. I'm truly a standard US 9D though - 8.5D Barrie, 9D Plaza/Aberdeen, UK 8.5E/US 9D on all EG lasts I've tried (82,202, 606, 888)

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes these fit me. I'm truly a standard US 9D though - 8.5D Barrie, 9D Plaza/Aberdeen, UK 8.5E/US 9D on all EG lasts I've tried (82,202, 606, 888)

Dammit!!!

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Dover is really the last thing I need to complete my collection of EG, although I mainly wear boots or loafers. Laced shoes are never quite as comfortable.

For what it’s worth I take the same size (8) in 64 and 606. I could size up and still be comfortable in most lasts on the old wooden lasts, now I can only do it on 82.

sforum1

Reaction score
Oh, I have no problem with wearing wide width. I just simply couldn't get a wider size when I bought these, so I went with what was still comfortable, but narrower than usual.

They still fit me nicely. My foot feels good. My foot feels supported. But yes, I dare say I'd get a better fit with a wider shoe.

Thanks for your advice on this. It is greatly and sincerely appreciated. I still love these shoes, but I'd definitely go for a wider fit when I add EG #2 to my collection.
And they are only going to get better with time. Nothing better than an EG better that’s has been broken in and aged.
Try having feet two different sizes ?

Fit will always be a compromise unless I buy shoes in two different sizes!
I see pairs like that often on eBay. I think though if you do MTO that's an easy problem to solve. But it's costly. I really envy the people who have normal feet that get a decent fit from RTW. Mush cheaper than always needing to pay full price for wide or MTO.

CWL317

Reaction score
I can feel some of the brass nails slightly protruded on the heels of my new (not yet worn outside) EG shoes. Is this normal?

I have compared with an equally new pair of Crocketts handgrade which seems better finished - the nails are all flush, even slightly recessed, in the heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads