• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smuj

Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years. View attachment 1557721
These look phenom. Just perfect. Seriously considering a pair. I think the lightening on the wear points absolutely make the boot. The only thing I don't like is the burnishing EG do to the toe. If I would be seeking to lessen it or remove it (presume that can be done). Can I ask if these are the Country Grain Rosewoods that have lightened up?? Much prefer this colour to the new Rosewood.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look phenom. Just perfect. Seriously considering a pair. I think the lightening on the wear points absolutely make the boot. The only thing I don't like is the burnishing EG do to the toe. If I would be seeking to lessen it or remove it (presume that can be done). Can I ask if these are the Country Grain Rosewoods that have lightened up?? Much prefer this colour to the new Rosewood.

Those were rosewood country calf and they lightened up significantly. However they were not nearly as burnished as the pairs EG was producing about 2-3 years ago. A few years ago, Galways were super-duper burnished the way you describe, and I agree it was wayyyy too much. I've been in the process of getting a new pair from EG, and the new ones are back to normal light burnishing that adds rather than detracts.

I'm currently in the process of a return of a problem pair of these to EG. I had a new pair, great sizing, for about a month, and the welt on both boots has been coming apart. The welts became sponge-like and started separating severely and roughly from the midsole (on one pair you can see clear through to the stitching). Of course, EG (and Therake.com) customer support is fantastic, and they're arranging to take them back for a replacement pair. Hopefully the replacement pair is more perfect.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Edward Green Chelseas one last time to break in on a trip to the tailor. They're very comfortable now.

IMG_20210304_1651474.jpg

IMG_20210304_1651419.jpg

sforum1

Reaction score
Thank you. I will.

They fit me comfortably now, but I'd agree another width up would be ideal.
I'm only saying it because I used to wear the wrong size for years and I never realized or no one told me, and I see a similar pattern here. They need to fit more like this, and I'm confident you can achieve this with RTW, it's just a matter of experimenting with sizes.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only saying it because I used to wear the wrong size for years and I never realized or no one told me, and I see a similar pattern here. They need to fit more like this, and I'm confident you can achieve this with RTW, it's just a matter with experimenting with sizes.

I absolutely greatly appreciate it.

The good thing is: they are not bowing out at the ankles. But I can definitely see my feet are pushing the leather out at the toes some.

sforum1

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, I remember that I used to think that if I went with wide that the shoes would not look as sleek and beautiful anymore. That could not be further from the truth though. Wide is as sleek and sometimes even better-looking than a medium width.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing, I remember that I used to think that if I went with wide that the shoes would not look as sleek and beautiful anymore. That could not be further from the truth though. Wide is as sleek and sometimes even better-looking than a medium width.

Oh, I have no problem with wearing wide width. I just simply couldn't get a wider size when I bought these, so I went with what was still comfortable, but narrower than usual.

They still fit me nicely. My foot feels good. My foot feels supported. But yes, I dare say I'd get a better fit with a wider shoe.

Thanks for your advice on this. It is greatly and sincerely appreciated. I still love these shoes, but I'd definitely go for a wider fit when I add EG #2 to my collection.

garigo

Reaction score
What's the deal with EG widths? For example, is there a way to order an F width for something that is only available as E (as most of the models are) on their website?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with EG widths? For example, is there a way to order an F width for something that is only available as E (as most of the models are) on their website?
Yes, they should be able to do it with no up charge, but you may have to wait for them to come into stock after ordering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads