• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might try 82 next time. I have 202

Thanks - interesting to know. I have E-202 and it seems a bit tight in the toe box. I am waiting on a pair of F-202 which might suit my feet better, but if 82 is more accommodating then I think I’ll go for that next time.
82 is less accommodating in the toe box than 202.

The F width may be the solution - when going up a width fitting in EG you will gain at least as much width as you would going up a half size.

CWL317

Reaction score
The width of my feet is focused in the toe box. I have in some sense V shaped feet - my feet are widest at the toes, much narrower at the heels. My width requirement is near the toes as the most essential for me to feel I have a comfortable fit, as I do not like my toes cramped. As such, the 82 last twas recommended as it offered me that, and indeed, I felt no discomfort.

Amusingly, my shoes felt more cramped than the-in-store shoe when I purchased them and had to get them slightly stretched, which worked fine as EG's calfskin is beautiful and easy to stretch.
Same with me - the factory freshly made shoe is tighter than the in-store display shoe that I tried on in the same last and size. Is it because of the new leather being stiff and tight and they are compensating for natural stretch through normal wear, I wonder.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Same with me - the factory freshly made shoe is tighter than the in-store display shoe that I tried on in the same last and size. Is it because of the new leather being stiff and tight and they are compensating for natural stretch through normal wear, I wonder.
Highly doubt that they are making special shoes that are marginally larger just for in store.

Could have been that several customers have put their feet in. Also could have been the time of day and amount you walked before trying on the shoes.

There's also probably a little bit in terms of what leather they use and variance when they are lasting it.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s almost certainly differences in materials and make. I’ve got several pairs on 202 and several pairs on 82 and they all fit very subtly differently. Even 2 pairs of the same model on the same last don’t fit exactly the same.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for these cordovan dogs. Gotta say, that London grain shaft is amazingly supple.
DD702469-EA16-43C8-B3CE-D45F82EA5B46.jpeg
C920A68D-DD75-4F54-B2EE-625836883A2D.jpeg
F47B0CA6-544C-4546-93EF-F619A35F4CC3.jpeg

Thomas_M

Reaction score
R2 tapered rubber sole. The absolute best sole EG offers!

I have this sole on my Dovers and it's amazing indeed.
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
But don't you think you lose a bit of flexibility, breathability and suppleness compared to a leather sole?
For a boot or if it rains a lot, the tradeoff is obvious but for a summer or dress shoes, I think I still prefer a leather sole, don't you?

In theory a rubber sole does mean less breathability, but how much difference does it make in practise when the rest of the shoe is leather? I have a pair of unlined suede Shanklins that I use quite a bit during summer and I can't really feel it being more sweaty compared to similar shoes with leather soles.

These days I tend to prefer rubber soles (of various thicknesses) for all my footwear except for nicer dress shoes (where leather simply looks better). Perhaps if I lived in a warmer city I would have more leather soles but in Stockholm a leather soled shoe is mostly restricted to summer and spring (not just because of the weather but because the city fills the pavement with gravel to reduce slippage which is not great for leather soles).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The R2 has a leather midsole so does provide stiffness. The R1 not as much but I’ve found no issues with too much flexibility or breathability.

I think the R1 looks better with loafers but with boots, the R2 is definitely the way to go.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You raise valid points, sir. I guess it’s more of a subjective point, but I find the R2 rubber sole to be more flexible and cushion-like than the HAF sole and the single leather sole. Not as breathable, sure. That doesn’t really bother me, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads