• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a formula for that. It's the number of bedrooms-th root of the number of non ensuite bathrooms divided by the LVR of any loans over the property to the power of the percentage of life you have left based on a secret actuarial table.
HAH

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in truth, 19 when bought first john lobb (Russells) and edward green bambury’s a few months later. Was never considered a luxury, just a staple. First house; 25.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, Shannon’s on 606 for me today

5590FFFD-E9DD-4E19-B877-E3E69AE80534.jpeg
3234E45C-C908-4D56-8387-73211282EDC1.jpeg

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone able to give me some advice on EG sizing please?

I'm 24, from the UK, looking at buying some new brogues for work and some desert boots for casual wear, I currently only have some Church's Size 10 F on 136 last. I have some low-end desert boots in size 11 and they're a little tight around the toes, so wonder if they'll break in or if I may need to size up. I tend to wear size 12 Chelsea boots too, but these are also low end currently. Casually, I tend to wear the size 12 Chelsea boots or size 13 converse (sorry!), but I want to improve on this.

Can anyone advise on what size I should be aiming for with EG for brogues, desert and Chelsea boots please?
I'm trying to improve my shoe wardrobe currently.

You need to be more specific. You started off right by giving your Church's shoes sizing. People have no idea what kind of desert boots or Chelsea boots you wear. You need to specify the maker's name, shoe model, the LAST, and how the particular model fits you.
Judging by your Church's size, I would say you are size 10.5 E in Edward Green shoes. However, this is difficult to know for sure until you try the shoe on and wear them for a while.
I once bought two pairs of EG shoes at Brook Brothers. The shoes felt fine on my feet while walking in the store. Only after wearing them for a full day, I realize that shoes do not fit me. There is very little room for error with the fine shoes. They are built well, so getting the right size is critical.
I would recommend that you purchase used shoes first (they can be bought at a huge discount), wear these shoes until you determine your fit, sell them, and only then purchase brand new shoes.

LThomsen

Reaction score

I'm 24, from the UK, looking at buying some new brogues for work and some desert boots for casual wear, I currently only have some Church's Size 10 F on 136 last. I have some low-end desert boots in size 11 and they're a little tight around the toes, so wonder if they'll break in or if I may need to size up. I tend to wear size 12 Chelsea boots too, but these are also low end currently. Casually, I tend to wear the size 12 Chelsea boots or size 13 converse (sorry!), but I want to improve on this.

Can anyone advise on what size I should be aiming for with EG for brogues, desert and Chelsea boots please?
Email EG and ask them for specific sizing advice.EG's customer service is responsive to Emails and over the years I have found them very helpful with sizing advice.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize the UK covers quite a bit of geography, but is it an option to travel to try them on in person?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize the UK covers quite a bit of geography, but is it an option to travel to try them on in person?
All in person retail is closed and we aren’t allowed to travel any distance unless it is for work.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All in person retail is closed and we aren’t allowed to travel any distance unless it is for work.
Got it. I wasn’t sure what the situation was like there.

Perhaps under the circumstances it’s best to wait until you can. Just a suggestion.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pondering on an EG Harrogate in mink suede and dark oak... is this more suitable for casual setting? What would you all wear it with? Just find it strange or weird with the suede and calf combination
I like these a lot, and think these can be dressed up or down. Not sure I'd wear with denim or a suit, but otherwise you could wear with anything else in between IMO

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pondering on an EG Harrogate in mink suede and dark oak... is this more suitable for casual setting? What would you all wear it with? Just find it strange or weird with the suede and calf combination

I have a pair from years ago when @SpooPoker pointed out a pair on closeout at ralphlauren.com . They are basically a winter spectator shoe, and in the 888 last, they have a fairly chiseled profile, albeit more so with RL who got them in D width versus BB in E. My pair's dark oak is pretty... Dark, so the whole shoe resolves to a more dark than mid brown. I wouldn't wear them wit jeans or unstructured Boglioli sport coats, but I do with more tailored looks.

They do tend to get some attention, but I don't think as much as a white + dark spectator shoe would. I don't think they are really that much more attention grabbing than say GG/AS cherry or Carmina ruby shell

My feet skew narrow, so I am really happy with Spoo putting me onto a pair years ago in D width. If I didn't already have a pair, I'd be struggling mightily with buying a pair now, if he had a 10.5 uk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads