• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Yes, shearling lined on 64. Made sure I inserted the quote this time, unlike my recent omission on the Alden thread. Thanks for the info and again, congrats on a couple of great scores.
For how they age, have a look at the pictures in the posts on the last couple of pages. As I say in my post, my rosewood Galways are my most worn pair and still look great. I’ve got a pair the same as yours that are also about 5-6 years old and still look really good.

I’m not sure I think of EG as dressy, I have quite a few pairs of them and only one pair I would class as dress shoes - Westminster dub monks. They do conservative business dress shoes very well, but personally I’m not one for a cap toe black Oxford.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, not a troll at all. Simply an EG neophyte as I only one one pair. When I think of EG I always think of dressy shoes that require a certain amount of tenderness. That runs contrary to the way I like to wear my boots and my question is simply one of how do these age............

View attachment 1558267 View attachment 1558268

One of the reasons I love shell (the primary one actually) is that I love how it looks as it ages. I just don't have the experience with high-end calf. And while I absolutely love these boots I have hesitated to wear them because the profile is a bit chunky for business casual and I'm leery to beat them up as I do when I wear denim.

That was a long-winded way of asking, will these get better with age or should I continue to wear very sporadically?

Note - excuse the sweats but with WFH going into year 2 walking my dog is truly the only time I need to put on shoes, and it was cold in the Burg the other day.

EG boots are built to last and if taken care of, you won’t have any problems. You don’t have to treat them delicately but at the same time, don’t abuse them.

use shoe trees when storing. If you’re going to wear Them In the snow or when it’s wet, I’d use a neutral wax to add to the water repellency.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For how they age, have a look at the pictures in the posts on the last couple of pages. As I say in my post, my rosewood Galways are my most worn pair and still look great. I’ve got a pair the same as yours that are also about 5-6 years old and still look really good.

I’m not sure I think of EG as dressy, I have quite a few pairs of them and only one pair I would class as dress shoes - Westminster dub monks. They do conservative business dress shoes very well, but personally I’m not one for a cap toe black Oxford.

I most certainly will take a look and hopefully see yours. It will be great to get a window into how mine may look years down the road.

EG boots are built to last and if taken care of, you won’t have any problems. You don’t have to treat them delicately but at the same time, don’t abuse them.

use shoe trees when storing. If you’re going to wear Them In the snow or when it’s wet, I’d use a neutral wax to add to the water repellency.

Appreciate the input and this shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty good on shoe care, but I do wear my boots pretty hard.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a thing. ?
9798F317-91D3-4D32-92A7-DEFA3BE1B0B4.jpeg

Biogentic

Reaction score
This is my second attempt to get a good fit for Edward Green loafer... the photo is based on my Edward green Islington 137 last UK9/9.5E with my foot pushed all the way forward. As you can see there are quite a bit of gap there.. is UK8.5E or UK8 on the 184 last a better gamble? I am thinking of getting 2 loafers.. EG Piccadilly unlined Suede Loafer and EG Lulworth calf loafer. Hope I can finally get it right this time and don’t have to return

Attachments

• A7304760-B222-4732-9D90-D339495334DD.jpeg
    A7304760-B222-4732-9D90-D339495334DD.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 52
  • CB25FFED-FDA4-4610-A642-E95222DC393F.jpeg
    CB25FFED-FDA4-4610-A642-E95222DC393F.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 59

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried the 137 last, but the 184 is fairly narrow, I couldn’t size down.

Loafers are such a difficult and personal fit, as there is no way to tighten or loosen.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I’ve never tried the 137 last, but the 184 is fairly narrow, I couldn’t size down.

Loafers are such a difficult and personal fit, as there is no way to tighten or loosen.
That so true... the 137 last is also fairly narrow compared to the 606 last so I deduce that 184 last should also be about the same

by the way you are wearing UK 8 E for the Dover 606 last? What about your size for the 184 last loafer? Is it lined or unlined? Suede or calf?

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of pairs on the 606 last, both size 8 and I took size 8 in my 184 loafers - they are lined calf.

Thats what I mean about loafer fit being so personal, you’ve already sized down from a comfortable fit on 606 and you are getting some heel slip.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the same as @Nickd ... 184 (lined suede) and 606 I take the same size and fit is good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads