• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ken1036

Reaction score
Burgundy? Interesting - can I also see some photos? I want to see what my dover would look when it gets older if I choose the same path you did.

Here's contrast. The one on the left was polished last night with their burgundy polish (one coat), the one on the right is not polished yet (and has never been polished). You can see the one one the left has less of an "orange" look to it - it's a touch more red and also a touch darker overall. It's exactly what I was looking for. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• galway.JPG
    galway.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Alex B

Reaction score
Here's contrast. The one on the left was polished last night with their burgundy polish (one coat), the one on the right is not polished yet (and has never been polished). You can see the one one the left has less of an "orange" look to it - it's a touch more red and also a touch darker overall. It's exactly what I was looking for. Hope this helps!
That looks a very antiquing effect. Awesome! ?

Ken1036

Reaction score
That looks a very antiquing effect. Awesome! ?
Thanks! The rosewoods may have a unique aging effect where they get lighter in color with time (more toward the yellow spectrum). I've looked at online photos of older rosewood EGs and that seems to be what I've seen. It could have something to do with the factory polish not adhering well to the leather and rubbing off in due time? I don't know. I'm still new to all this. This is my guess from observation of others' shoes. Others in this forum may have better knowledge of this. In these shoes, I personally am probably an outlier who wants to shape the coloring and shade as it ages as opposed to the many who want a natural patina to develop without interference. All food for thought!

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are your dover? Can I see some photos, please? I really thought that Mahogany would darken them instead of Cognac.
Galways rather than Dovers. About 5-6 years old and worn a lot. I can’t remember what colour I used on the toe and heel - either dark brown or burgundy, but the rest of the boot is all with cognac. They were a shade lighter than this beforehand.
0DECB2F1-EB42-4354-AED4-0E1CC9891FE8.jpeg

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say this is a bit of highway robbery on the price. I can get my shoes resoled from Minas shoe repair in NYC for 125 dollars or thereabouts. 250 pounds is extensive + they charge you 80 GBP for shipping both ways? Get out of town.

There are almost always cheaper ways to get things done. I'd compare this to getting your car serviced at the dealership vs an independent shop, the dealership/OEM will always be more expensive. EG's refurbishment cost seems reasonable given the retail price of their shoes - its similar to Allen Edmonds as far as % of the original cost of the shoe. But there's the cost of international shipping, which can't really be avoided.

That being said, I don't take my cars to the dealership for service and haven't sent any EG's back to the original factory for service. I do plan on paying around the same as EG's resole price (minus shipping) to a local shoemaker who's main business is actually shoe repair. There's only two shops I would trust to work on my EG's within a 50 mile radius, which is another reason why I'm willing to pay more than average.

Alex B

Reaction score
Galways rather than Dovers. About 5-6 years old and worn a lot. I can’t remember what colour I used on the toe and heel - either dark brown or burgundy, but the rest of the boot is all with cognac. They were a shade lighter than this beforehand. View attachment 1557062
Honestly, they don't look that old. They look fairly new. Is this how awesome the leather of EG? They don't age at all. How often do you put cream polish on them? And how often do you put leather conditioner? Sorry for too many questions.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, they don't look that old. They look fairly new. Is this how awesome the leather of EG? They don't age at all. How often do you put cream polish on them? And how often do you put leather conditioner? Sorry for too many questions.
No problem. I don’t put cream or conditioner on as often as I should to be honest, probably 2/3 times a year.

I think the secret to them still looking fairly new is that I always put shoe trees in after every wear, and I keep them in their box when not being worn.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years.
download.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Compare to my 5-6 year old pair that I conditioned and cleaned regularly (with Lexol conditioner), but didn't use shoe trees and never used any wax polish ever.

I'd say using polish on these is the number one thing to keeping them looking "new" as you can see how much color fades in the wear points.

These are (as of this past weekend) no longer mine as I've moved them along in favor of a much needed sizing change (went from 10.5/11F64 to 11/11.5E64 and no matter what anyone says those sizes are lightyears different). Nothing wears in as well as a good pair of these boots, and looking forward to showing off how the new pair looks in 5-6 years. View attachment 1557721

I think the color variation looks great. Depends what one is after aesthetically, I suppose.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the color variation looks great. Depends what one is after aesthetically, I suppose.

Oh for sure. I can see both philosophies on these. On the one hand they are $1450 boots (I bought them through therake.com if anyone is trying to get that price) and a certain amount of value/care is totally appropriate.

On the other hand (and my preference) they get *gorgeous* with wear and I, like so many people, bought this model because of that amazing Westley Richards picture of how great these look really worn in. And they are amazing, rugged boots that are designed and built for heavy wear.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Yes that same picture was one of the reasons I really wanted a pair. I don’t baby mine at all, they get used for walks in the country as well as more urban use, but I agree that my use of pigmented cream is why my pair don’t show the age related colour variation that yours do.

Both look great though, even if I do say so myself.

Alex B

Reaction score
No problem. I don’t put cream or conditioner on as often as I should to be honest, probably 2/3 times a year.

I think the secret to them still looking fairly new is that I always put shoe trees in after every wear, and I keep them in their box when not being worn.
I agree! One can easily overdo it. Thanks for your advice.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, not a troll at all. Simply an EG neophyte as I only one one pair. When I think of EG I always think of dressy shoes that require a certain amount of tenderness. That runs contrary to the way I like to wear my boots and my question is simply one of how do these age............

20210219_EG's.jpg
20210219_EG's1.jpg

One of the reasons I love shell (the primary one actually) is that I love how it looks as it ages. I just don't have the experience with high-end calf. And while I absolutely love these boots I have hesitated to wear them because the profile is a bit chunky for business casual and I'm leery to beat them up as I do when I wear denim.

That was a long-winded way of asking, will these get better with age or should I continue to wear very sporadically?

Note - excuse the sweats but with WFH going into year 2 walking my dog is truly the only time I need to put on shoes, and it was cold in the Burg the other day.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, not a troll at all. Simply an EG neophyte as I only one one pair. When I think of EG I always think of dressy shoes that require a certain amount of tenderness. That runs contrary to the way I like to wear my boots and my question is simply one of how do these age............

View attachment 1558267 View attachment 1558268

One of the reasons I love shell (the primary one actually) is that I love how it looks as it ages. I just don't have the experience with high-end calf. And while I absolutely love these boots I have hesitated to wear them because the profile is a bit chunky for business casual and I'm leery to beat them up as I do when I wear denim.

That was a long-winded way of asking, will these get better with age or should I continue to wear very sporadically?

Note - excuse the sweats but with WFH going into year 2 walking my dog is truly the only time I need to put on shoes, and it was cold in the Burg the other day.
The Galway is the quintessential English country boot and is certainly made to be put through the rigors of hard wear. Your pair in particular, which appear to have shearling lining and be on 64 last? are definitely country casual. Beat em up just like you would shell, use bick 4 to care for them and maybe brown cream if you need to touch up a few spots. I think you'll be pleased with how they age.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Galway is the quintessential English country boot and is certainly made to be put through the rigors of hard wear. Your pair in particular, which appear to have shearling lining and be on 64 last? are definitely country casual. Beat em up just like you would shell, use bick 4 to care for them and maybe brown cream if you need to touch up a few spots. I think you'll be pleased with how they age.

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Yes, shearling lined on 64. Made sure I inserted the quote this time, unlike my recent omission on the Alden thread. Thanks for the info and again, congrats on a couple of great scores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads