• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
so you are all about showing off, if I'm not misunderstanding you. Because personally I refuse to wear Florsheim even if I went to drive-thru, after I got exposed to and fell in love with quality shoes. You, on the other hand, as long as your coworkers cannot tell the difference, are willing to wear Florsheim or whatever else looks like a black shoe, the cheaper the better.

Now your question makes a lot more sense to me.

Not exactly. As I said above, I wear fine clothes because they make me feel good, and I appreciate the artistry involved in creating a pair of EGs. But I also wear the best clothes I can find because it alters people's behavior towards me. You can call it showing off if you want. I don't find that to be inaccurate.

I think its wrong to assume that people don't notice what we wear, whether we are dressing for ourselves or others. People walking down the street may or may not notice, but I can assure you that your colleagues at work notice, even if they can't detect exactly why you look distinctive. Women notice, especially if they're interested in you. Your competitors at work will notice, and your clients will also notice. If you're an academic, your students and colleagues will definitely notice, especially the women. Not only because you are wearing excellent and refined clothing, but because the way we carry ourselves changes subtly. We are more confident in a fine suit, great tie and superlative pair of shoes, our stance and composure are different, and our gait is different in a pair of EGs compared to low quality shoes.

From experience, I can attest that the behavior of others towards me changes when I'm wearing an Isaia suit, TF tie, and a pair of distinctive 888 EGs. None of my clothes are flashy or too obvious, but nor are they plain.

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, people don’t notice. Most people’s sphere of reference doesn’t include quality shoes (or clothes or watches for that matter) and they aren’t going to be able to tell much difference between a £200 pair of Loakes and Edward Green.

I wear them because I like them, I appreciate the craftsmanship. I’m not bothered about standing out or what the average person thinks.

sforum1

Reaction score
Not exactly. As I said above, I wear fine clothes because it makes me feel good, and I appreciate the artistry involved in creating a pair of EGs. But I also wear the best clothes I can find because it alters people's behavior towards me. You can call it showing off if you want. I don't find that to be inaccurate.

I think its wrong to assume that people don't notice what we wear, whether we are dressing for ourselves or others. People walking down the street may or may not notice, but I can assure you that your colleagues at work notice, even if they can't detect exactly why you look distinctive. Women notice, especially if they're interested in you. Your competitors at work will notice, and your clients will notice. If you're an academic, your students and colleagues will definitely notice, especially the women. Not only because you are wearing excellent and refined clothing, but because the way we carry ourselves changes subtlety. We are more confident in a fine suit, great tie and superlative pair of shoes, our stance and composure are different, and our gait is different in a pair of EGs compared to low quality shoes.

From experience, I can attest that the behavior of others towards me changes when I'm wearing an Isaia suit, TF tie, and a pair of distinctive 888 EGs. None of my clothes are flashy or too obvious, but nor are they plain.
I can't say I don't agree with many of your points. The question is how far do you go if the objective is to have the impact you are looking for in terms of others' behavior toward you? Because there's some diminishing returns there, for sure. Which pair is that 'distinctive 888 EGs'?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your point about how one carries oneself is probably true though- but again that’s about how it makes you feel rather than others opinions.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I can't say I don't agree with many of your points. Which pair is that 'distinctive 888 EGs'?

Scroll up....I posted two of my EGs....One is a pair of double soled midnight blue Aberdeens. The other is a pair of storm cloud grey 888 Bluchers..also double soled. I'm not sure about the model of the grey pair. I was hoping that one of you could identify them for me. I don't know if you'll like them, but they aren't average looking.

sforum1

Reaction score
Scroll up....I posted two of my EGs....One is a pair of double soled midnight blue Aberdeens. The other is a pair of storm cloud grey 888 Bluchers..also double soled. I'm not sure about the model of the grey pair. I was hoping that one of you could identify them for me. I don't know if you'll like them, but they aren't average looking.
Yours is the one on the right (Shelton)

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Your point about how one carries oneself is probably true though- but again that’s about how it makes you feel rather than others opinions.

Yes...I agree....nice clothes make us confident, and that has to do with how we feel when we look into the mirror and the internal appreciation we carry about the artistry involved in the creation of our clothes. But there is also an element of social reflexivity to how we feel about ourselves. In other words, how we feel about ourselves is in part a function of how others treat us.

I'm sure we can both think of examples when we were paid a compliment about our clothes, and I'm sure it made both of us feel good. That kind of experience probably motivated me to buy more nice clothes. Is that hopelessly superficial and vain? Maybe it is, but its also a part of being human, unless we are ascetics and monks who aspire to rid themselves of Earthly attachments.

Anyway, I was just sharing my perspective.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Yours is the one on the right (Shelton)

Thanks for the reference. So they are Sheltons, in antique grey or something like that. Good to know.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score

sforum1

Reaction score
I think its more likely midnight antique, with light antique edgetrim.

Could be, I can't tell the difference between all those colors. I used to have a pair like that (but mine was officially cloud antique) and ended up changing them to black. I found that I could not wear them with anything.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Could be, I can't tell the difference between all those colors. I used to have a pair like that (but mine was officially cloud antique) and ended up changing them to black. I found that I could not wear them with anything.

Black is of course the most versatile color by far. But after you've bought several black shoes, different shades of brown shoes and a few burgundy shoes, what do you do for variety? I would like to buy some navy shoes; especially G&G St James II in dark navy blue, or perhaps Vass F last in blue museum calf.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy is surprisingly versatile I’ve found.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Navy is surprisingly versatile I’ve found.

I have a pair of midnight blue EGs that I posted..but I would like to try darker navy blue...like the St. James II

1606601794861.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads