• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't realize that was called the R2. Thought I just created it in my mind! :cool:

You have a good rotation of Galways there. I was a skeptic of the 82 last Galway but received the dark brown Utah/mocha suede version from Gentlemen's Footwear as a birthday present from my wife. They are great (and so is she).

To me, your rotation screams for something on country calf on the 72 or 64 last, maybe even in veldtschoen construction. Rosewood CC, Mahogany CC, even Walnut CC. GF has a grey country calf version coming in. That would be unique. FWIW I have a mahogany CC Galway on the 72 last and wear those things all the time.

You could also do the 82 lasted Rosewood CC Galways from Frans Boone.
I knew I could come on here for some old fashioned enabling, so thank you @CLTesquire ! That is a great gift, btw. I like Rosewood CC, so I'll check out Frans Boone. I had some Mahogany CC Banbury's that I had to sell due to fit, but picked up some Willow Zug Cranleigh's as a replacement.

Never been able to work grey or blue into my rotation, but as always fantastic suggestions so thanks!

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew I could come on here for some old fashioned enabling, so thank you @CLTesquire ! That is a great gift, btw. I like Rosewood CC, so I'll check out Frans Boone. I had some Mahogany CC Banbury's that I had to sell due to fit, but picked up some Willow Zug Cranleigh's as a replacement.

Never been able to work grey or blue into my rotation, but as always fantastic suggestions so thanks!

I assume those are the Cranleighs from Skomaker Dagestad? Are they awesome? I'm jealous. They look amazing and they have my size left and I've pondered buying them for the past month or two.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume those are the Cranleighs from Skomaker Dagestad? Are they awesome? I'm jealous. They look amazing and they have my size left and I've pondered buying them for the past month or two.
They are definitely a much more rugged boot than the Galway and the shaft is super stiff. With Covid and the hot southern summer, I haven't had a chance to wear them out of the house for a proper break-in period! I do like the ridgeway sole and storm welt so foul weather here I come!

Cr1982

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know the difference between EG Ashby and Clapham? Was the Ashby only sold via Brooks Brothers? Thanks

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DOAK might be one of the best looking leathers out there ..

6911024B-D57E-4BDD-B9D2-589D93AA5995.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cranleigh vs Galway
Which one should I go for?
Any advice

what does your boot collection consist of currently?

if you already have a split toe derby shoe or boot, then I would think the Cranleigh would be redundant. Otherwise, I find it an interesting choice.

At first glance, which one get your attention more?

Jon 1981

Reaction score

if you already have a split toe derby shoe or boot, then I would think the Cranleigh would be redundant. Otherwise, I find it an interesting choice.

I have a pair of Alfred Sargent boots that I'm not particularly attached to and the Drake's suede Clifford boot.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Alfred Sargent boots that I'm not particularly attached to and the Drake's suede Clifford boot.

Let's dive deeper. What are you imagining yourself wearing with the boots? Are we talking tailoring? Denim?

Jon 1981

Reaction score

I have a pair of Alfred Sargent boots that I'm not particularly attached to and the Drake's suede Clifford boot. So re 8k I
Let's dive deeper. What are you imagining yourself wearing with the boots? Are we talking tailoring? Denim?
Demin

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Alfred Sargent boots that I'm not particularly attached to and the Drake's suede Clifford boot. So re 8k I

Demin
While I think the Cranleigh is made for denim, I still would opt for a Galway, but on the 72 or 202 last. Those lasts are a bit less sleek than say the 82 and would work really well with denim, but also allow you to put on heavier weight tailoring if you needed to. Some may recommend the 64 last, but I find that to be too bulbous personally and it would only work with denim. So to sum up, first choice is Galway on 72 or 202, then Cranleigh, then Galway on 64.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on the 72 last Galway. @steveyoo1983 from Gentlemen's Footwear has a few sizes of the Mahogany country calf version still for sale. I have that boot and it's incredible. He also has a grey country calf version coming in that I think would be nice with denim. Rosewood country calf would also be nice if you can find it.

If you can't find a Galway you like and wanted something immediate, I think EG has a dark brown Utah Cranleigh for sale on their website. That's a cool boot as well. Depending on your preference @steveyoo1983 also has a burgundy London grain Cranleigh for sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads