• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
Now watch this. In terms of length they are almost identical, JL a tiny little bit longer.

A913FD30-8537-433C-B977-7848D4AB6E8A.jpeg

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
Basically there are many round and many square lasts out there (actually every shoemaker has one or two or three, of each), but nothing is like the 82 on the round side and nothing like the Cleverley when it comes to square ones.

Something about lasts, they are all pretty much the same but at the same time hugely different. One millimeter here and one millimeter there and you get something vastly superior, leaving everything else in the dust.

It's quite fascinating.

Last edited:

puffy

Reaction score
Different topic - Italist - anyone ordered EGs from them? Deals seem decent but wonder if it's cat in the bag...

patekman

Reaction score
I am also interested to hear about Italist.
I almost bought a pair but when they added customs duty and their margin it wasn't worth it. Plus i would rather give my money to Steve or Stefan!

puffy

Reaction score
I can save 25% on a pair of JL City II, that'd decent enough.

puffy

Reaction score
I have both. They fit the same. I thought the 915 would be narrower and I would need half a size bigger but not the case at all for me.

But I regretted buying them. The 82 is much better.
BTW, do you wear the same size in EG 82 & 915 compared to JL 7000/City II?

sforum1

Reaction score
BTW, do you wear the same size in EG 82 & 915 compared to JL 7000/City II?
No, I wear half size bigger in EG. A while ago EG advised me that I should go for the same size as my JL (despite what you typically read here on SF) and so I did. At the beginning they were too tight but wear after wear they began to break in and stretch so today they fit more or less ok. But after that I went with half a size bigger and if I wear really thin socks you could say they are a little bit big, perhaps a very small amount. So the right answer I believe is 1/4 bigger than JL but if you go with 1/2 a size bigger and wear the right sock thickness it should be perfect. I think EG wants you to start out a little snug and let the shoe take the shape of your foot over time as the leather stretches. But out of the box, JL will be roomier for sure than EG if the 2 are the same size. I’m sure also most people here will tell you the same thing.

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
No, I wear half size bigger in EG. A while ago EG advised me that I should go for the same size as my JL (despite what you typically read here on SF) and so I did. At the beginning they were too tight but wear after wear they began to break in and stretch so today they fit more or less ok. But after that I went with half a size bigger and if I wear really thin socks you could say they are a little bit big, perhaps a very small amount. So the right answer I believe is 1/4 bigger than JL but if you go with 1/2 a size bigger and wear the right sock thickness it should be perfect. I think EG wants you to start out a little snug and let the shoe take the shape of your foot over time as the leather stretches. But out of the box, JL will be roomier for sure than EG if the 2 are the same size. I’m sure also most people here will tell you the same thing.

I wear the same size in each. I know the SF folks prefer to size up 1/2, but on the few pairs that I have done so, they are really a slight bit too big (as @sforum1 points out above). The vast majority of my now extesive EG collection I have started off with a shoe that is slightly snug and then break it in. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads