• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
try telling the average person the shoes you’re wearing cost $1600. See the reaction you get.

Maybe not nuts, but definitely a purchase choice very outside the norm.
NEVER tell anyone that your shoes cost $1600. They might lose all respect they have for you. You WILL harm yourself and your image, if you did.

In fact, I know for a fact that 99% of the people here who spend $1600 on shoes would never dare tell anyone. And that says a lot. Except people who they know to be doing the same, for example here on SF and on top of that it's anonymous. But how many you think would tell their coworkers? And I'm not saying to go to them and brag about it. I'm saying even when the conversation came up, they would avoid revealing the price of their shoes at all costs.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEVER tell anyone that your shoes cost $1600. They might lose all respect they have for you. You WILL harm yourself and your image, if you did.

In fact, I know for a fact that 99% of the people here who spend $1600 on shoes would never dare tell anyone. And that says a lot. Except people who they know to be doing the same, for example here on SF. But how many you think would tell their coworkers? and I'm not saying to go to them and brag about it. I'm saying even when the conversation came up, they would avoid revealing the price at all costs.
If people’s respect for one hinges on shoe purchase price, there may be a problem..lol.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEVER tell anyone that your shoes cost $1600. They might lose all respect they have for you.

In fact, I know for a fact that 99% of the people here who spend $1600 on shoes would never dare tell anyone. And that says a lot.

and I don’t either. I said that to illustrate that while in this community we get excited about EG being on sale for $900, it is a bit like an echo chamber. I suppose that’s the whole point of an online community is that we can discuss these things freely without feeling strange about it.

to the average person, spending that sum of money on footwear is unimaginable. I remember some years ago when Bill Frist was the senate majority leader, a news report made a big deal out of his wearing Allen Edmonds shoes, which were reported to cost a breathtaking $300!

sforum1

Reaction score
and I don’t either. I said that to illustrate that while in this community we get excited about EG being on sale for $900, it is a bit like an echo chamber. I suppose that’s the whole point of an online community is that we can discuss these things freely without feeling strange about it.

to the average person, spending that sum of money on footwear is unimaginable. I remember some years ago when Bill Frist was the senate majority leader, a news report made a big deal out of his wearing Allen Edmonds shoes, which were reported to cost a breathtaking $300!
Exactly. I always want to hide when they publicly shame people because they were caught wearing a $1000 suit. As if they are these bad horrible people. They certainly portray them as such and depending on the situation there can also be some degree of truth to that. This can be a public figure or, imagine if you work for a company being a people's leader, managing 10 ordinary people who struggle to make their mortgage payments or pay their rent and every day YOU showed up in $5K suits and a different pair of $1600 shoes. AND you told them (or somehow they knew) how much they cost. And here is where it gets interesting, in the meantime you might not be all that different from them financially. It's just that they chose to save for their kids' education or put some money aside in savings but you chose to buy a pair of shell Galway for $2000 to add to your already massive and expensive shoe collection. That's what I meant when I said people will lose respect for you and start seeing you as a selfish person with poor judgment. Right or wrong, you won't be able to stop them from seeing you this way. And they certainly will.

Last edited:

oskrusa

Reaction score

Out of the 250+ people in my office, I interact with at least half of them and absolutely no one is able to comprehend why I have so many pairs of brown boots, or why I have green or red footwear.

I am an approachable dude who usually don't give a crap what people might think of it and I never talk about cost but I have spoken about the shoe brand I would be wearing on a given day (EG, Alden, C&J, etc.), and some of the office folks have gone and looked it up on Internet.

They have told me, with a smirk on their faces, that I have a problem, I just smile and roll with it.

So what does all this mean for my shell galway purchase.......

I strongly believe you must definitely order a second shell galway on a complimentary color from the upcoming one, it would be double joy.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read between his lines that related to shoe matters, we all are not practical or rational people, and that we are borderline nuts.
Is this a fair observation?
My point is it's silly to argue over perceived value of EG (or any other maker for that matter). For the folks here on SF, majority of shoe purchases are driven by our emotions. If you love your AE, Alden, C&J, EG, StC or G&G no one's going to convince you that you're wasting your hard earned money. And this is perfectly fine, let's accept and embrace it.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, proof that I want to help redirect the conversation:
D8B6952B-9B02-4760-A188-A8ED8CB93D93.jpeg
B791F06C-2298-409F-A710-6A0812E36F24.jpeg

If the 82 last was just a quarter of an inch shorter, I’d literally own nothing else.

sforum1

Reaction score
Also, proof that I want to help redirect the conversation:
View attachment 1420520 View attachment 1420521

If the 82 last was just a quarter of an inch shorter, I’d literally own nothing else.
I agree 100%, except for the length complaint. The 82 last is perfection. No complaints. Very sleek but somehow not too sleek. Just the right amount. You can't say the same about the JL7000 or the G&G DG70. Those are sleek but a little too much. Sending in an MTO order tomorrow for the Berkeley in burgundy. I wish it took shorter to make.

P.S. No trees.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%, except for the length complaint. The 82 last is perfection. No complaints. Very sleek but somehow not too sleek. Just the right amount. You can't say the same about the JL7000 or the G&G DG70. Those are sleek but a little too much. Sending in an MTO order tomorrow for the Berkeley in burgundy. I wish it took shorter to make.

P.S. No trees.
If Edward Green took two months to deliver MTOs instead of 974 years, I'd be homeless.

sforum1

Reaction score
I was always wondering how long it really takes to make a pair of shoes. The reason we have to wait for months and months is because our orders go in line and the makers do not get to it until they are done with all the orders ahead of us, or is it because it's really a long process? I don't think so though. Say an executive at EG wanted a pair for an upcoming wedding, how quickly can they finish it for him? I don't see why it should take more than 2 days.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was always wondering how long it really takes to make a pair of shoes. The reason we have to wait for months and months is because our orders go in line and the makers do not get to it until they are done with all the orders ahead of us, or is it because it's really a long process? I don't think so though. Say an executive at EG wanted a pair for an upcoming wedding, how quickly can they finish it?

Yeah - that and . . . why do other shoe makers (Carmina, for instance) make shoes in 30-45 days? I MTO'd a pair of Galway boots in OCTOBER OF 2019. Still have no ******* clue where they are.

sforum1

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it should not take more than 2 days. Except if the uppers have to stay on the last for a number of days to take their shape but even then I don't think it should be more than 1 week tops.

puffy

Reaction score
82 vs 915: I'm a size 9E in 82s - pick 9E in the 915 and well?

For comparison I'm an 8.5E in C&J 348 and 341, and 8.5E in JL 7000 and 8000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads