• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the help.

opinion: their trees are overpriced. Not worth the price they are asking for them. And they are nothing special. The G&G ones, on the other hand, are something special and you should buy them whenever you buy G&G shoes. Even the Vass ones that come free with the shoes are something special.

I prefer newspapers for my EG shoes over their trees. Or even toilet paper but that's hard to find these days.

Last edited:

Wertheimer

Reaction score
opinion: their trees are overpriced. Not worth the price they are asking for them. And they are nothing special. The G&G ones, on the other hand, are something special and you should buy them whenever you buy G&G shoes. Even the Vass ones that come free with the shoes are something special.

I prefer newspapers for my EG shoes over their trees.

Yes I thought $145 was a bit steep, especially if they aren't a lasted shoe tree. The other thing is that, on their sizing (for the trees), you choose either D/E or E/F. I'm considering buying a pair of the Westminsters on the 888 last, I've always loved the look of that particular last. But I'm not sure which of the two widths to select for the trees, or if it really matters that much. Perhaps I will do as you say and scrap the trees altogether, just find a cheaper pair that are workable. I appreciate your recommendation.

sforum1

Reaction score
Actually wait, the trees used to be $160. But now it looks like in GBP, excluding vat, they are 79GBP. The website is showing me prices in GBP. Is that what you are getting too? If so, they must have lowered the price significantly because people recognized the ripoff that was taking place there and skipped them. So 79GBP is approx $100. I always thought their trees' fair price should be approx. $75-80, half of what they used to sell them and I was very critical of their pricing right here before. At $100 they are clearly closer to my price than theirs, so if you consider that they are still priced higher than they should be that means I was right.

To be fair to them then, if the trees were $80 I would probably buy them. Also at $100, if they ship for free, since you are already buying the shoes, and you have to pay no more taxes on top of that, I would still consider it.

If they offer you free shipping it's effectively like they are selling the trees to you for $85. The shipping cost to them for the additional weight of the trees should be close to $15.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone interested in EG Chelsea on the 82 last in a UK8? BNIB,bought from Cavour. Its in DOAK and selling at USD650 plus shipping. Thought of offering it here first before posting on Ebay and B&S.

Im migrating to mainly John Lobbs (just a few selective EG’s I’m keeping in my collection for now)

316C8ADA-F3C8-497E-B3E2-52DDB818A688.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone interested in EG Chelsea on the 82 last in a UK8? BNIB,bought from Cavour. Its in DOAK and selling at USD650 plus shipping. Thought of offering it here first before posting on Ebay and B&S.

Im migrating to mainly John Lobbs (just a few selective EG’s I’m keeping in my collection for now)

View attachment 1419084
Double check your images, might want to remove a few.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah,its a good price.Sad to see them go;beautiful colour and such a classic design and last.But i really just want to wear Lobbs as much as possible

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1419084

If only they were half a size bigger.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually wait, the trees used to be $160. But now it looks like in GBP, excluding vat, they are 79GBP. The website is showing me prices in GBP. Is that what you are getting too? If so, they must have lowered the price significantly because people recognized the ripoff that was taking place there and skipped them. So 79GBP is approx $100. I always thought their trees' fair price should be approx. $75-80, half of what they used to sell them and I was very critical of their pricing right here before. At $100 they are clearly closer to my price than theirs, so if you consider that they are still priced higher than they should be that means I was right.

To be fair to them then, if the trees were $80 I would probably buy them. Also at $100, if they ship for free, since you are already buying the shoes, and you have to pay no more taxes on top of that, I would still consider it.

If they offer you free shipping it's effectively like they are selling the trees to you for $85. The shipping cost to them for the additional weight of the trees should be close to $15.

I have a few pairs of EG trees that just came with them but I'm with you, there's no way they are worth $160 or $145 (their price on the US website a minute ago). I honestly think a Woodlore Epic shoe tree fills out the shoe in generally the same manner at a much, much reduced price.

bsarosi

Reaction score
I say grab a pair of trees from Skoaktiebolaget for $80. I find their trees to be of high quality and fit many of my shoes well. If you’re a half size, size down to the full size.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say grab a pair of trees from Skoaktiebolaget for $80. I find their trees to be of high quality and fit many of my shoes well. If you’re a half size, size down to the full size.
I buy all my shoe trees from eBay at like $35 a pop and they’re awesome.

sforum1

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the EG trees are identical to the C&J ones. That's right, identical except perhaps the C&J fit the EG shoes a little better. But EG feels that it's ok to charge double the price because they say EG on them instead of C&J. The C&J ones you can get them for 50-60GBP/pair.

I'm personally a sucker for good shoe trees and I'm willing to pay for them but give me something to make me feel good after having paid a large amount of money for shoe trees of all things. People usually say EG shoes (or any other top brand) are overpriced compared to lower-priced brands. They ask are EG 6X better than Meermin? The answer is no, hell no, and everyone knows that. But they still but those EGs. Why? Because EG are better than Meermin and are a special and unique shoe, and for that, you have to pay a premium. $1250-$200 to be exact. Then you ask what did I get for the extra $1050 I just paid? You say I got a special pair of shoe and you feel good about it (even though it feels still stupid as I write about it).

For an ugly piece of wood though that's who knows what kind of wood, no thanks.

sforum1

Reaction score
C&J also sells these beauties (but I don't know where to buy them). I'd possibly pay $200 if EG's trees looked like that and fit better.

trees.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads