• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I think the 888 last is pretty close to Rain. Rain has slightly more toe box room and a bit larger heel, but not enough to change your size imo. Here are a couple comparison pictures for you and hopefully they are helpful.

Rain (9.5UK), 888 (10E) and 888 (10D)
View attachment 1400286
View attachment 1400285

Thank you sir. Very helpful. I have rain in 9uk and 9.5uk and both fit ok. Safe to say that EG from BB in size 9.5e will be ok for me? But on the site, it is listed as 9.5ee.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you use the heel pad to get tighter fit and reduce heel slippage? I do have very slight slippage, but since it's a boot and can be laced tight the slippage causes negligible fit issue.

At the end of the day, fit is truly unique to each individual and depends on the 3-D shape of our feet. Some folks consider C&J 341 last to be long and relatively voluminous (someone on the Carmina thread compared 341 to Soller). I have average or slightly below average instep and volume, but the Harlech hugs my feet on all the right spots and I love the fit.
So I bought that pair in 2011. My feet have lost some volume and I now wear a half size smaller, but these remained as they now fit better than ever. I think the heel lift was originally recommended by my cobbler because the shoe was eating up my Achilles tendon. By adding the lift, it basically move my heel higher in the shoe and I no longer had any more blisters.

Agree with you that fit is dependent on 3D foot. I would say I have above average volume and slightly higher instep and find the 341 to fit amazingly, same with EG's 82 last and GG's MH71. CJ's 325 I find to be a bit voluminous in all honesty.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir. Very helpful. I have rain in 9uk and 9.5uk and both fit ok. Safe to say that EG from BB in size 9.5e will be ok for me? But on the site, it is listed as 9.5ee.
I have the same and find the 9UK to fit better than the 9.5UK. If they are listed as @flylikeneagle mentioned and 9.5 is the UK size then that would be the size I would initially recommend to you based on your other shoe sizes. Obviously, best to try on first but you can send them my way if they don't work :p .

I'm not sure the "ee" part either as that would likely imply they are an F UK width because EG doesn't denote widths like that.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought that pair in 2011. My feet have lost some volume and I now wear a half size smaller, but these remained as they now fit better than ever. I think the heel lift was originally recommended by my cobbler because the shoe was eating up my Achilles tendon. By adding the lift, it basically move my heel higher in the shoe and I no longer had any more blisters.

Agree with you that fit is dependent on 3D foot. I would say I have above average volume and slightly higher instep and find the 341 to fit amazingly, same with EG's 82 last and GG's MH71. CJ's 325 I find to be a bit voluminous in all honesty.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll give heel pads a try in a pair of Carmina boots that I made the mistake of ordering in Forest EEE. Carmina's standard EE width felt narrow on a different pair, but I realised later Forest runs slightly short for me and width is just right. There is too much volume at instep as it stands, even with thick wool boot socks.

Sounds like we prefer similar fit across the brands. My Lindricks fit perfect with thick boot socks, otherwise there is more room than I like.

Last edited:

ducatiti

Reaction score
IMO, even though I can afford or save up for EG, I would never buy one at retail price or slightly discounted because one can buy a few pairs in other similar brands. This may have been beaten to death but EG is really worth the premium over ex C&J or basically we are just paying for the name? But I guess if one has the money to spend, why not :)

ducatiti

Reaction score
I have the same and find the 9UK to fit better than the 9.5UK. If they are listed as @flylikeneagle mentioned and 9.5 is the UK size then that would be the size I would initially recommend to you based on your other shoe sizes. Obviously, best to try on first but you can send them my way if they don't work :p .

I'm not sure the "ee" part either as that would likely imply they are an F UK width because EG doesn't denote widths like that.

Has EG ever mark their shoes in US sizing? Sorry but just so excited to receive my first, perhaps last pair :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has EG ever mark their shoes in US sizing? Sorry but just so excited to receive my first, perhaps last pair :)
Yes, they usually notate it as follows "9.5/10 E" where 10 is technically the US size.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what you know or heard, does brooks brothers list their EG products in US or UK?
Congrats, it's a heck of a deal. I saw it too but it was one whole size too big for me (8.5E/9US in EG). EG shoes are listed in UK sizing on BB website, so 9.5 = 10 US. I'm not 100% sure about width though. I believe Brooks used to carry only E width (equivalent to US D), so when I saw it online I assumed "EE" was a mistake and the shoe was actually E width.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what you know or heard, does brooks brothers list their EG products in US or UK?
If these fit you, believe me this won't be your last pair.

Edit: meant to reply to your previous post

Last edited:

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ducatiti looks like I was wrong about BB sizing. I found pictures of a pair of BB Galway I used to own couple of years ago. EG Box shows standard EG size 8.5/9 E82 (E width), but BB price sticker lists US length (9) and UK width (E). I forgot I had this picture as I bought and sold this boot BNIB. At the time I couldn't stomach paying $775 shipped for a pair of non-shell boots ?‍♂️

Hopefully BB screwed up description on their website and listed your pair in UK size

8_20181018_163215.jpg

ducatiti

Reaction score
@ducatiti looks like I was wrong about BB sizing. I found pictures of a pair of BB Galway I used to own couple of years ago. EG Box shows standard EG size 8.5/9 E82 (E width), but BB price sticker lists US length (9) and UK width (E). I forgot I had this picture as I bought and sold this boot BNIB. At the time I couldn't stomach paying $775 shipped for a pair of non-shell boots ?‍♂️

Hopefully BB screwed up description on their website and listed your pair in UK size

View attachment 1400511

Thanks for the update. I doubt they made any changes as they list it in US size. Now I doubt it’s going to fit unless it’s extra wide :(

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1400511
Funny how that works... bet you are kicking yourself now!???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads